So I'm trying really hard to get out from under my boss right now, but right now i'm getting paid relatively well while I look for something else. I found a couple of places I'm thinking about applying, but I need some advice. There's no one I can really ask about these types of things, so I'm going to have to count on the internet! I wanna use this thread for help big time, since I don't have a clue. I was raised out of town, no experience really, and honestly am just nervous about it all. I have five questions at the moment that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with...Then I wanna keep asking questions as I think of them. I appreciate your guys' support through my hard times right now, and for being so non judgmental of me.
1) My friend works for a vet office and told me she might be able to get me a job as a kennel tech, but to keep looking in the meantime. I'm just looking at every place and that made me think of our equine hospital. They aren't advertising for hiring, but if I called and asked, or stopped in and just let them know I was looking (I know the vet very well) do they have positions like that? I mean, they have to, right? Someone who takes care of all the cleaning and maintenance so the vets aren't doing it. I guess my main question is, what is that position called? It wouldn't be a kennel tech...There's no kennels.
2) There is a hunter jumper barn who is one of the few close enough that don't already know who I am. I figured calling them up and asking if they need a stall cleaner, even part time, would be a good idea (No one I know can afford to hire another hand). My problem is, I'm so underconfident these days. I'm nervous to call them up. I guess this isn't really a question, more of a "What if they think I'm an idiot kid looking for a job with pretty ponies?" Those of you that know me know I'm definitely not but...they don't know that.
3) Okay, so the next one is about a barista position. There's been a couple coffee places who are hiring but I keep hearing about how the other girls there are all bitchy and rude to the new girls which makes me nervous. I would never show how underconfident I am and would give them a run for their money if they acted like that to me, but I don't want to dread going to work. I've known six girls who have worked and all the stories are the same. It's just unnerving me. What would you do?
4) The local Boot Barn might be hiring. I have a friend who works there. I am concerned about just dropping by and asking, in case she's there (I love her but she would shatter my 'professional' image, though I'd be more comfortable applying here) do you think I should just call and ask? Or strategically ask her if she's working then sneak in there when I know she's not? LOL. It'd be great to work with her after I get hired, but before that I wouldn't know how to act around her, and I wouldn't want the people there to think I'm just there to work with my "bestest best friend everrr"
5) Okay! Last one! There's those little hiring centers at walmart, but they're never turned on when I walk by. I keep thinking "I should apply, since it's so close to home.." but I would feel really stupid going up to the machine to find it turned off or are you supposed to turn the thing on yourself? Or ask someone? I feel like this is a really stupid question lol
Thanks so much in advance, I'm sure I'll think of more...This is my teenage nerves coming out...