Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hour and a Half from Town!
I'm struggling to figure this out also.
My insurance is around $700 a month. Hub has a "Pre existing" condition so we struggle EVERYDAY to continue. Our rate has risen EXPONENTIALLY over the last two years because he had a flair up.
So as I understand it:
1. If he goes 6 months without healthcare insurance he will qualify for "free" coverage. Not sure where or how, but we DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!
2. So now it's a TAX. What they promised it wasn't.
3. Now say a person around 65 HAS to go get coverage, raising rates for everyone because they can't be denied even if they are very ill
4. It's cheaper for say, a young person with no problems to pay this tax instead of paying say $2,400 a year.
5. Then because they can't be denied they can go get a policy when they find out they need one.
6. This again raises the costs for EVERYONE with private insurance.
7. Everyone is supposedly getting a rebate from their insurance company this year. They knew it was coming and increased their prices to cover this "rebate".
Val, I don't know the answer to your question. Right now we could get a VERY cheap insurance policy. We were ECSTATIC when we found it... Then we read the fine print. No cancer, large organ failure, and a couple other biggies included! What? That's really the only reason one needs it!
So I don't know what to do. Subbing to see if someone else understands this better than I.
You can get a lot further with a ladder than you can with crutches!! What do you mean what do I mean?