Thrift stores and handcuffs! - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 565
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashAwayAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
.

Ridiculous on the store's part to have sold those to you.

Why? It was an oopsie to be sure, but somebody left the store with an item. It must be purchased. It's the same - you break it, you bought it principle.

That's just life with kids... ya gotta roll with it.
No. I think it's a client safety issue. Had a lamp fallen on you and broke because of their lack of storing it properly on a shelf, and still charge you anyways be an issue?

You would not sue a hospital if a needle was left out, and you were accidentally stabbed because of it, not be an issue?

What about you buying a vehicle and that were to blow up and kill your best friend in the front seat, all because of a major error in engine building?



"Oh well, I used it, or I went there, or I bought so its to bad for me.."

remind me to never go the states, or a thrift stores for that matter.
There's a difference. the instances you mentioned are an issue of negligence. Perhaps you could say the store was negligent for not having the handcuffs higher, or not having a key handy. however, you could also make a case that Dumas - as supervisor of the child - was negligent for not properly supervising. And was trying to 'steal" the handcuffs - all 50 cents worth, because she hid the key somewhere. And since the money in thrift stores goes to charity ... I would pay the fifty cents. See, it's a matter of perception. Now, anybody who has had a small child knows that they can get into funny trouble faster than you can break wind.

If you were in a store, picked up a lamp to look at, and then dropped it and it was damaged/broken, yes, you would be expected to pay for that lamp. Now, if you were walking by and the lamp slipped off the shelv due to being poorly stocked, then no. You would not.

"There ain't no vaccine for stupidity* Maxine
DashAwayAll is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 6,004
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashAwayAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
.

Ridiculous on the store's part to have sold those to you.

Why? It was an oopsie to be sure, but somebody left the store with an item. It must be purchased. It's the same - you break it, you bought it principle.

That's just life with kids... ya gotta roll with it.
No. I think it's a client safety issue. Had a lamp fallen on you and broke because of their lack of storing it properly on a shelf, and still charge you anyways be an issue?

You would not sue a hospital if a needle was left out, and you were accidently stabbed because of it, not be an issue?

What about you buying a vehicle and that were to blow up and kill your best friend in the front seat, all because of a major error in engine building?

"Oh well, I used it, or I went there, or I bought so its to bad for me.."

remind me to never go the states, or a thrift stores for that matter.
Ummm.... I think you may be taking this whole situation a bit too serious. No harm was done. I just thought it was rather funny that the handcuffs had to be paid for. I could have had an issue with her and refused to pay, we could have wasted tax payer's money and had a cop come help out. I thought this was an amusing tale that folks here would be amused by. I do see your point however, IMO, I would never make an issue over something this trivial. If a lamp fell and injured my son through no action of his own, yeah...I might take up issue with them. If the lamp fell because my son yanked the cord...that's my fault. Same thing with the handcuffs. I should have been supervising him better and it would have never happened......If I would have known the handcuffs had no safty release and no key I surely would have cuffed him to a sturdy clothing rack and went to brunch. Lighten up a tad...You're killing my story. :P

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

1 Chronicles 28:20








Dumas'_Grrrl is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
ok, the REAL questions are.
where both his hands handcuffed, or just one?

For his "time to think about what you did" did you handcuff him to a table? hehe (all in fun and games of course!)
appylover31803 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 6,004
• Horses: 0
Ya know what, I didn't even get on to him about it. He was so scared when the older folks at the thrift store were talking about having the police come to help. ( I'm sure he thought he would have to go to jail ) Then ride the 20 minutes home in hand cuffs....he never said a word on the ride home....I couldn't disipline him. :roll:

He only handcuffed one arm, Once we saw him we told him DO NOT USE THE OTHER ONE!!!

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

1 Chronicles 28:20








Dumas'_Grrrl is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,203
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashAwayAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
.

Ridiculous on the store's part to have sold those to you.

Why? It was an oopsie to be sure, but somebody left the store with an item. It must be purchased. It's the same - you break it, you bought it principle.

That's just life with kids... ya gotta roll with it.
No. I think it's a client safety issue. Had a lamp fallen on you and broke because of their lack of storing it properly on a shelf, and still charge you anyways be an issue?

You would not sue a hospital if a needle was left out, and you were accidently stabbed because of it, not be an issue?

What about you buying a vehicle and that were to blow up and kill your best friend in the front seat, all because of a major error in engine building?

"Oh well, I used it, or I went there, or I bought so its to bad for me.."

remind me to never go the states, or a thrift stores for that matter.
Ummm.... I think you may be taking this whole situation a bit too serious. No harm was done. I just thought it was rather funny that the handcuffs had to be paid for. I could have had an issue with her and refused to pay, we could have wasted tax payer's money and had a cop come help out. I thought this was an amusing tale that folks here would be amused by. I do see your point however, IMO, I would never make an issue over something this trivial. If a lamp fell and injured my son through no action of his own, yeah...I might take up issue with them. If the lamp fell because my son yanked the cord...that's my fault. Same thing with the handcuffs. I should have been supervising him better and it would have never happened......If I would have known the handcuffs had no safty release and no key I surely would have cuffed him to a sturdy clothing rack and went to brunch. Lighten up a tad...You're killing my story. :P
Not at all. The fact that your child went thru this is not my concern.
Someone disagreed with what I initially posted. I then explained my opinion ;)
my2geldings is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 346
• Horses: 1
Lol, that is funny! :) Good thing you had a key at home though.
o0hawaiigirl0o is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 565
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
Ya know what, I didn't even get on to him about it. He was so scared when the older folks at the thrift store were talking about having the police come to help. ( I'm sure he thought he would have to go to jail ) Then ride the 20 minutes home in hand cuffs....he never said a word on the ride home....I couldn't disipline him. :roll:


ROTFLMAO poor little dude

"There ain't no vaccine for stupidity* Maxine
DashAwayAll is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 674
• Horses: 3
so how did you get him out in the end?

When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ~William Shakespeare
sempre_cantando is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 6,004
• Horses: 0
LOL... I actually couldn't find the key right away I eventually found it hung up with all of our "outside" keys. (4wheelers, lawn mower, farm truck, etc) I let him out of the cuffs and let him throw them away...he didn't have a problem doing it either!!! I don't think he'll want to play "cop" for a while.

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

1 Chronicles 28:20








Dumas'_Grrrl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome