Tornadoes...Tornadoes..Tornadoes - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,148
• Horses: 1
Tornadoes...Tornadoes..Tornadoes

Anyone else around here get tornadoes around here? I am dang tired of 'em.


And not that that, our weather men are complete ******s. I could do a better job at predicting weather than they could. For instance, just earlier today we went under a T Storm warning with no noticeable rotation. Not a big deal. Thunderstorms here is like snow in Canada. It happens.

BUT, my brother, Dad, and I were outside piddling with my brother's new truck and out of nowhere freakishly strong winds (and remember, I'm from TN, strong winds to me could be hurricane worthy to you) start howling and before we know it trees are blowing around everywhere. About half a mile from us a small tornado pops up.

Like I said, there is a difference between a T Storm with no rotation and a freaking tornado forming out of nowhere.

Anywho, minor rant. Just a couple of injuries here and there, but no deaths from this one.

Red Money Maker (Red) - 2004 Sorrel QH Gelding
Tennessee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,220
• Horses: 0
Glad to hear you're ok! We had some tornadoes in the area last week.
upnover is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,348
• Horses: 1
Thank you for posting this, I now know that I never want to live in TN. Jeesh, that would suck!
Carleen is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Because they do come out of nowhere. We had one that hit our street. Like legitament horrible damage. And they barly predicted it because they are totally unpredictable.
Posted via Mobile Device
StormyBlues is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SE Finland
Posts: 16,957
• Horses: 0
We don't have those here but had to say I'm glad you're okay.

Also I've caught those are difficult to predict.

"On hyviä vuosia, kauniita muistoja, mutta kuitenkaan, en saata unohtaa,
Että koskaan en ole yksin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Vaikka myrsky hetkeksi tyyntyykin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Ja pian taas uusin hönkäyksin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Hei tuu mun luo, pieneksi hetkeksi. Puhutaan, varjoni, valkoiseksi enkeliksi."

Pelle Miljoona Oy - Varjo seuraa onneain

TaMMa89 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 1,135
• Horses: 0
We're expecting some tornadoes in south-eastern, eastern CO later today and each afternoon for the rest of the week. Hoping that we don't get any real bad ones this year...we had one a year ago and then in '98 that wiped out entire towns.
Never seen or experienced one yet thankfully, as we're right on the edge of the plains. They usually hit about 5-10 miles away, but we sure can see those angry looking clouds from here...


Equestrian, computer person, photographer, graphic designer...
I know who I am, who are you?

irydehorses4lyfe is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,202
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Anyone else around here get tornadoes around here? I am dang tired of 'em.


And not that that, our weather men are complete ******s. I could do a better job at predicting weather than they could. For instance, just earlier today we went under a T Storm warning with no noticeable rotation. Not a big deal. Thunderstorms here is like snow in Canada. It happens.

BUT, my brother, Dad, and I were outside piddling with my brother's new truck and out of nowhere freakishly strong winds (and remember, I'm from TN, strong winds to me could be hurricane worthy to you) start howling and before we know it trees are blowing around everywhere. About half a mile from us a small tornado pops up.

Like I said, there is a difference between a T Storm with no rotation and a freaking tornado forming out of nowhere.

Anywho, minor rant. Just a couple of injuries here and there, but no deaths from this one.
It's so interesting to read the attitude you have towards tornadoes. I would had a heart attack in your position. I am from Canada so yes, you're right snow to us is, from the sounds of it what a tornado is to you.

I find we have it better. You know a storm is coming in, you stay at home or at a friends, where as a tornado YIKES. Where do you go?! What about your home, your personal belongings, the things you are attached to.
my2geldings is online now  
post #8 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,148
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings View Post
It's so interesting to read the attitude you have towards tornadoes. I would had a heart attack in your position. I am from Canada so yes, you're right snow to us is, from the sounds of it what a tornado is to you.

I find we have it better. You know a storm is coming in, you stay at home or at a friends, where as a tornado YIKES. Where do you go?! What about your home, your personal belongings, the things you are attached to.
Well, they are kind of scary, I guess. But I would much rather have a two minute tornado than a snowstorm that could potentially last days.

Depending on the size and strength of the tornado, sometimes we just stay in the house and sometimes we will go out to the storm shelter. My first priority is setting the horses free so that they can defend themselves.

I live in a brick home, so it is rarely damaged. There was one time an F4 tore half of our roof off, but insurance covered that pretty quickly. The barn has only been damaged once, and never had I had a horse injured.

I don't know. I guess ya just get used to them.

Red Money Maker (Red) - 2004 Sorrel QH Gelding
Tennessee is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,202
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Well, they are kind of scary, I guess. But I would much rather have a two minute tornado than a snowstorm that could potentially last days.

Depending on the size and strength of the tornado, sometimes we just stay in the house and sometimes we will go out to the storm shelter. My first priority is setting the horses free so that they can defend themselves.

I live in a brick home, so it is rarely damaged. There was one time an F4 tore half of our roof off, but insurance covered that pretty quickly. The barn has only been damaged once, and never had I had a horse injured.

I don't know. I guess ya just get used to them.
Waw that is unreal. Glad nothing has ever happened! You are right about the snowstorm. Here we live in snow about 5 months out of the year so you're right.
my2geldings is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SE Finland
Posts: 16,957
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings View Post
It's so interesting to read the attitude you have towards tornadoes. I would had a heart attack in your position. I am from Canada so yes, you're right snow to us is, from the sounds of it what a tornado is to you.

I find we have it better. You know a storm is coming in, you stay at home or at a friends, where as a tornado YIKES. Where do you go?! What about your home, your personal belongings, the things you are attached to.
Living without tornadoes and with snowy winters, I think it pretty same way.

If you don't mind me asking, how can you live with all that? An idea about losing my home (that I'd have invested all ways, economically, mentally etc) would be really scary. Then that stress that you never know when a tornado comes and wipes it all away, or what if someone hurts etc. How can you live with that?

Hope you didn't find that rude, I'm just curious.

"On hyviä vuosia, kauniita muistoja, mutta kuitenkaan, en saata unohtaa,
Että koskaan en ole yksin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Vaikka myrsky hetkeksi tyyntyykin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Ja pian taas uusin hönkäyksin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Hei tuu mun luo, pieneksi hetkeksi. Puhutaan, varjoni, valkoiseksi enkeliksi."

Pelle Miljoona Oy - Varjo seuraa onneain


Last edited by TaMMa89; 05-19-2010 at 01:15 PM.
TaMMa89 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midwest Tornadoes Vidaloco General Off Topic Discussion 11 01-10-2008 08:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome