Visiting the US from Canada

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Visiting the US from Canada

This is a discussion on Visiting the US from Canada within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Us "return ticket enough"

LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Visiting the US from Canada

I am planning on visiting a friend over next winter, from September to March. I know I will need ties to Canada to prove to border control or whoever that I will be returning to Canada. Is a return ticket enough? Or should I have something else.
Also, what about my cell phone? Can I suspend it, or can I use it? I'm planning on calling the phone company tomorrow but I'm curious if anyone here knows.
Sponsored Links
    04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I have no idea about any of it. :) Hope you enjoy your visit though.
    04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks. I've never been out of Canada so being able to skip winter just once is great!
    04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
5 months -- you will loose your Ontario health plan btw, so make sure you have proper insurance. You need your passport, of course. But proof of ties to Canada? Never heard of that one. Your passport proves you are Canadian. Keep the original in a very safe place while in the US. If you are in one city for most of the time, maybe a bank deposit box. Keep a photocopy of the main picture page with COPY written on it -- keep that one with you everywhere you go, perhaps with the name of the bank where the original is.

If you are concerned, you should contact the Canadian Embassy in Ottawa and they can fill you in with more details.
    04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Hmm, maybe I should only stay for 5 months then. Ill call the healthcare place and ctb place today. Thanks.
    04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I think the Ontario Health plan expires far sooner than 5 months (I can't count from Sept to March apparently) -- I think it's something like 60 or 90 days, but even if you go for only 2 weeks, you should have medical insurance for the States. You can get in a bad situation really fast. Call a travel agent and ask what plans you should look at. When MDH was in the States ALOT I had a blue cross plan for him that wasn't too wildly expensive.
    04-22-2009, 05:22 AM
I know I have at least 5 months, but I will get insurance. Especially since the kids are coming too. I'm just worried about ctb mostly.
    04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Do you own property in Canada?? That's one of the main things that they look at to prove you will leave the States. Other than that, family ties, a rental contract, stuff like that.
Do you need a Visa?? Make sure all the paperwork is sorted.
    04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I wouldnt think I need a visa if I'm visiting.
I don't have any family, except my daughter who was placed for adoption. She's the only reason I didnt leave ontario almost 2 yrs ago. But other than that, no property, but I do have bank accounts. I'm not sure if I'd be able to access them in the states, so maybe that would be a tie if I can't. I will probably have my stuff in paid storage, so that could be a tie too right?
Does anyone know about ctb though?
    04-23-2009, 08:04 AM
What's this concern about "ties" to Canada. You have passports. That's it. Done.

You can access your Canadian bank accounts in the states, but it's very expensive. Best to have travellers cheques, a bit of cash and use credit cards and pay them off on line.

Whats ctb?

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello From BC, Canada TrialRider Meet the Community 9 06-09-2008 07:28 PM
Hi from Canada jencowgirl Meet the Community 5 05-15-2008 03:39 PM
New from Canada EllaEnchanted Meet the Community 9 12-31-2007 07:17 PM
Hello from CANADA!! Jassy Meet the Community 4 10-31-2007 06:34 PM
Hello from Canada! horsegazer Meet the Community 3 09-25-2007 07:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0