The wedding thread - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

The wedding thread

This is a discussion on The wedding thread within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree32Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
      #21
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton    
    What I did as far as guests, I gave the four principal parties a number of how many they could invite.
    Grooms parents 50
    Brides parents 50
    Groom 75
    Bride 75
    It worked out great, I don't know if I was lucky, but it was a breeze.
    It was up to each individual to pare down their own list and get addresses.
    Of course it helped that I paid for the bulk of wedding, so I made decisions.
    My head just exploded at the thought of 250 people at my wedding... my social anxiety sky rocketed at that one. Plus I don't think I have 75 people that I like enough to invite lol. I am a bit of an anti social snob.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
      #22
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NBEventer    
    Plus I don't think I have 75 people that I like enough to invite lol. I am a bit of an anti social snob.
    no, you are not an anti social snob, you just take quality over quantity.

    I'm the same way, I have a small group of friends that I can say without a doubt are my friends. I'd rather have them over a gaggle of false friends any day.
    NBEventer likes this.
         
        01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
      #23
    Green Broke
    Big family in a small town.
    Plus only about 60% of the invited guests come, we had closer to 80% because of a big family in a small town thing.
    We did not invite children either, I still have enemies over that one. Couldn't afford them. Since we had my wedding outside not only did I have to pay for the childrens food but also the rentals, chair, dishes, silverware, glassware, napkin, table space and I would have had to make the tent bigger.

    Good luck, this is the most fun time. Relax and realize that in 10 years most of the problems your dealing with now won't even be a memory.
         
        01-09-2013, 03:11 PM
      #24
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton    
    Big family in a small town.
    Plus only about 60% of the invited guests come, we had closer to 80% because of a big family in a small town thing.
    We did not invite children either, I still have enemies over that one. Couldn't afford them. Since we had my wedding outside not only did I have to pay for the childrens food but also the rentals, chair, dishes, silverware, glassware, napkin, table space and I would have had to make the tent bigger.

    Good luck, this is the most fun time. Relax and realize that in 10 years most of the problems your dealing with now won't even be a memory.
    I can honestly say I never would have thought about having to pay for something as simple as a napkin... oh wow my head is going to explode from this...
         
        01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
      #25
    Trained
    Good Luck guys, hope they are all beautiful weddings!!

    Just a tip and a wedding rant...
    I'm helping my BFF plan hers, she is doing an excellent job, but when it comes to our dresses... ARRGGGHHHH!!!
    I went last week to get fitted and buy my dress AND shoes for her, which I think is the thing to do now? Oh my heavens, it's the ugliest, most unflattering dress I've ever seen. She also didn't include me or one of the other BM's to check them out.
    I was heartbroken. Since I didn't have a large wedding I thought (and planned a date and talked to her about) the idea that we would all get together for lunch, have drinks, try on dresses, the whole shebang. Nope. She went with her sister who is a size 0, let her decide and then informed us in a text. $250 later (Ouch, they HAD to be ordered ASAP right after Christmas?? Nice planning.) I'm going to have the most hideous dress (seriously thought that was an outdated wedding stereotype, I would never do such a thing), and purple platform shoes my kid is going to receive once I'm done. Honestly I think it's tacky to not consider us (or our body types) when picking out the dresses. I might able to rock mine after I loose a few, but one of the girls texted me when she was getting hers and said she looked like a hermaphrodite... Poor girl!!


    So maybe this rant will be a help for you lovely brides? Best wishes!!!
         
        01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
      #26
    QOS
    Green Broke
    Thanks for the sweet compliments. I have worked hard to become a cake decorator that delivers what the bride expects and wants. I have been fortunate to do two Ultimate Cake Off Challenges on TLC; one in 2009 and one in 2010. It was fun.

    I love making huge wedding cakes but the small ones are fun too. Some brides want huge - I am doing one in March that will have over 300 people there. She is a doctor in Washington DC area and he is an attorney - her father is a judge here. They are inviting everyone in who is anyone in our county. Can't wait!!!

    They are all different and I enjoy them all - never had a real bridezilla - the closest was son's soon to be ex-wife. Gaaaaa.....she was the pits.

    There are some great cake decorators Down Under that I know on boards. They are AMAZING! Loads of great cake decorators in Canada too. Have a great dress, great cake and food and you are set for a fantastic day no matter what the size. Y'all post y'alls dresses. I am a wedding dress freak girl. Love them!
         
        01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
      #27
    Weanling
    NBEveter, I'll lend you my costco card. Napkins sorted!

    Taffy I like the whole 60% not showing up idea.

    As for food, is it wrong to tell people it's a pot luck? ;D
         
        01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
      #28
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BCtazzie    
    NBEveter, I'll lend you my costco card. Napkins sorted!

    Taffy I like the whole 60% not showing up idea.

    As for food, is it wrong to tell people it's a pot luck? ;D
    Sounds like a plan! Lol. We were going to do a summer wedding and do a BBQ. However weather is unpredictable and we decided to do fall anyway. We are buying a new truck in the fall and a new house next(2014) spring and start to build my barn and indoor so we are just going to be tapped out. I don't know how we are going to find the money for all of this lol. Anyone wanna help me rob a bank? I'll split the money with you!
         
        01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
      #29
    Weanling
    I hear you about tapped out. We are closing on a place this week, will have to get a new(ish) car in the next 3 months. We're hanging off on the arena for maybe 3-5 years. I'm still waiting for immigration to open paper work so I can atleast have a new/ current work visa. Banks are only looking james income as I'm not a PR yet. Only 4 more months to wait and then they should be opening mine up!
         
        01-10-2013, 11:41 AM
      #30
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NBEventer    
    My head just exploded at the thought of 250 people at my wedding... my social anxiety sky rocketed at that one. Plus I don't think I have 75 people that I like enough to invite lol. I am a bit of an anti social snob.
    I don't even KNOW 75 people
    EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Re-do a wedding? Tessa7707 General Off Topic Discussion 12 11-14-2012 04:07 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0