What is a hero? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 409
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IquitosARG10 View Post
So are you implying that they shouldn't be recognized because of the sacrifices they make? I don't consider myself a hero by any means, but I serve along side them every day. I'm missing my daughters first steps and first words.

We don't just "merely wear a uniform"...there are a lot of ****ty people that serve in the military, but the fact that they sign their name on the line below stating that they will lay down their life for God, Country, Unit, and family...says a little something about hero to me.
I, having served my time in the Army, say that no, just serving does not make you a hero, it should mean that you are hero, but I knew way too many people who signed on the dotted line only because of the school benefits they would get later... those people are not heroes to me.

That is not so much the case right now where so many those in the armed forces know going in that they will see combat time, but back in the '80s when I joined up, I could not believe how many people in uniform threw a hissy fit when they found out that our unit was going over to Bosnia - because they did not sign up to serve, just to get $20,000 in signing bonus.

So, I do give every member of the armed service the respect that they are there to save our way of life and to keep our freedoms, but I know that not all of them are heros.
yadlim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 334
• Horses: 0
I think I get a little to "hooah" sometimes, lol. I completely agree with you, Yadlim.

But I don't agree that just because someone sits behind a desk denounces them from being heroic. Job title doesn't designate hero - heroic acts designate heroism.
yadlim likes this.

A woman needs two animals - the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it.
IquitosARG10 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,180
• Horses: 7
I think that hero has many meanings. I'm more put off by the use of the word veteran then hero. I sometimes wonder why the guy that works in the mail room is considered a veteran of a war when he never left his "simple" post. But then again, that guy in the mail room never went home early and worked every holiday and missed birthday parties and sports events so that he could ensure that whatever shipment was needed went out. Is he a "true" veteran? Not really, but did he do his part to support the effort? Most definitely.

That person that is sitting behind the desk typing out the orders that send the troops to wherever they need to go, are they a hero? Maybe not in the physical sense, but since they are part of a grander scheme, One that involves an entire organization that is here merely to ensure the safety of my country, or your country - wherever you might be from..... then yeah.... I'm all for the word hero...

As for citizens... yes, anyone can be a hero. That's true, but many more are victims. :(

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,318
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IquitosARG10 View Post
So are you implying that they shouldn't be recognized because of the sacrifices they make? I don't consider myself a hero by any means, but I serve along side them every day. I'm missing my daughters first steps and first words.

We don't just "merely wear a uniform"...there are a lot of ****ty people that serve in the military, but the fact that they sign their name on the line below stating that they will lay down their life for God, Country, Unit, and family...says a little something about hero to me.
I am not implying anything...I thought I said it pretty clearly, I am saying that if everyone that wears a uniform is a hero (it is the word I have a problem with, it has/had a meaning), then WHAT is someone that actually performs an "act of courage" beyond signing their name?
themacpack likes this.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,378
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
I am not implying anything...I thought I said it pretty clearly, I am saying that if everyone that wears a uniform is a hero (it is the word I have a problem with, it has/had a meaning), then WHAT is someone that actually performs an "act of courage" beyond signing their name?
Well said, Missy May! I am sorry, but the fact that my husband served 20+ years in the USMC does not make him a hero. It makes him a guy who chose a career path and followed it. There are heroes in the military, there are heroes on the police force, there are heroes who are firefighters, there are heroes who are medical first responders -- there are also heroes that do none of those jobs. I think auto-assigning the term based SOLELY on vocational choice and not on merit of the person's actions is cheapening to the idea of "hero"
Missy May likes this.
themacpack is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 334
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
I am not implying anything...I thought I said it pretty clearly, I am saying that if everyone that wears a uniform is a hero (it is the word I have a problem with, it has/had a meaning), then WHAT is someone that actually performs an "act of courage" beyond signing their name?
I see your point, and I jumped too quickly. I just meet a lot of people who are quick to judge and say that one person's service doesn't count because of their job or where they are called to serve.

Your argument is different and I agree with what you and Yadlim are saying. I don't serve on the front lines, but I still put in just as much time and dedication into my job. On the counter, not all those who serve in those jobs are deserving of such a title either. I think it's character, integrity, and dedication that help determine a hero too. It's a very sensitive subject.

A woman needs two animals - the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it.
IquitosARG10 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,318
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IquitosARG10 View Post
I see your point, and I jumped too quickly. I just meet a lot of people who are quick to judge and say that one person's service doesn't count because of their job or where they are called to serve.

Your argument is different and I agree with what you and Yadlim are saying. I don't serve on the front lines, but I still put in just as much time and dedication into my job. On the counter, not all those who serve in those jobs are deserving of such a title either. I think it's character, integrity, and dedication that help determine a hero too. It's a very sensitive subject.
I understand the sensitivity to how glorified "specific jobs" in the military, when there are many that are never given due recognition. For example, aviator vs mechanic. Both should be as "glorified", but we know they are not...I mean, there was no "top gun flight mechanic" movie. :)

And, I admire people that admit they misunderstood something instead of digging in their heals! And, it is a sensitive subject that came about in part, I think, by the misuse of a word. Anyone that signs on to a job w known inherent dangers for an admiral reason (country) should be recognized, and the fallen never forgotten. That's where it gets touchy...people think questioning the use of the word "hero" means - disregard for service.
IquitosARG10 likes this.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,180
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
I understand the sensitivity to how glorified "specific jobs" in the military, when there are many that are never given due recognition. For example, aviator vs mechanic. Both should be as "glorified", but we know they are not...I mean, there was no "top gun flight mechanic" movie. :)
But there was one in the dukes of hazzard! And mayberry!!!

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What breed is Hero? shortysmalls Horse Breeds 28 09-25-2011 01:31 PM
My Hero! To ride the sky Horse Training 1 06-15-2011 02:10 AM
This woman is my hero. Crimsonhorse01 General Off Topic Discussion 11 11-15-2009 03:49 PM
Hero at his new place! madisonfriday Horse Pictures 10 10-30-2009 02:37 AM
My new horse Hero madisonfriday Horse Pictures 11 05-06-2009 10:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome