What's the Problem? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

What's the Problem?

This is a discussion on What's the Problem? within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree11Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
      #11
    Banned
    Ever since phone texting came into being, the demise of correct English language has been a snowball that has hit the point of no return down a slippery slop into oblivion.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-27-2011, 01:18 PM
      #12
    Green Broke
    See the following thread...

    The Importance of Spelling and Grammar....
         
        08-27-2011, 02:30 PM
      #13
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manca    
    There are many words (especially conected with horses) I don't know and if they're spelled wrong I can't find them in a dictionary..
    Would it be able to find an online dictionary that showed translations which are pretty similar with the word that you tried to find if you aren't able to find the word itself? I use one and it helps to translate if someone has spelled wrong since often those spelling mistakes don't differ that much from the initial word.
         
        08-27-2011, 03:43 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyder    
    Ever since phone texting came into being, the demise of correct English language has been a snowball that has hit the point of no return down a slippery slop into oblivion.

    And there is nothing worse than a slippery slop, that's for sure.

    I agree with the OP, things are getting very scary, no one seems to care any more. Obviously we all make mistakes, but there is a difference between what is obviously a slip up due to posting from a cell phone, or someone posting in haste, to some of the very scary normal posting style of some people.
         
        08-27-2011, 04:15 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Would it be able to find an online dictionary that showed translations which are pretty similar with the word that you tried to find if you aren't able to find the word itself? I use one and it helps to translate if someone has spelled wrong since often those spelling mistakes don't differ that much from the initial word.
    Which one do you use? This is a great idea! Thanks :)
         
        08-27-2011, 04:25 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sierrams1123    
    P.S. THIS IS A HORSE FORUM NOT LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS -> LAST TIME I CHECKED ANYWAYS :)
    Haha.. while you may be correct that this isn't language arts class, it is how we communicate everyday, and if people can't understand what you are saying, or they use all their energy in deciphering what you are saying, then what is the english language? With the use of the computer being so prevalent today, writing becomes even more important, as opposed to the old days when word of mouth was the primary means of communication. English is the most used language in the world (although quickly being caught up to), so if we butcher it, then what? We just have another one of our own dialects and make more people learn that? The Brits will already tell you that we have ruined the english language by the way we have taught it for the past 300 or so years. I don't mind it so much texting (which I also do alot of) because it is a shorter, more informal setting, but on a public forum where you're trying to get your point across to people you have never met? Wasn't that the whole point of English class? So you don't make a fool of yourself when you are around people you don't know? First impressions are everything.

    Quote:
    The majority of these people know how to write correctly, they just don't, and they don't see the need to justify themselves. They understand each other perfectly, so it is fulfilling the requirements of a language - communication. If someone communicates with you in this manner you can ask them not to, but I don't think many people would. Lots of sub-cultures have their own languages, even the horse one (in a much lesser extent). If we were to talk to people about lunging, impulsion, seat aids etc they wouldn't have a clue what we were talking about, and each group of horse people (stables etc) are probably going have developed their own terminology too that other horse people wouldn't totally understand. Subcultures across time would have had their own way of communicating. This is the way that some of the youth choose to communicate today, and while many (usually older) people don't like it, that doesn't really matter as they are not included in this group.
    While this is a different way to look at it, and not a bad one, I admit, I must disagree with you. I disagree because I don't have a problem changing things for a reason, but when it is because of laziness or a lack of education, that, I have a problem with. And if you step back and look at the big picture, it's not just spelling and grammar where people are lazy. People expecting handouts from the government, or the government to provide them a job, but that's a topic for another day. :) And, I think you missed my point. Like I said, talking to your friends this way while texting is one thing, but when you are on a public forum, at least proofread. I'm not really even talking about text shorthand. It's mostly spelling/grammar errors. That is not creating a dialect. When you spell reining, raining, saying then, when you really meant than, etc etc. Everyone these days has GOOGLE at their fingertips, so not knowing is not an excuse. If you type in "raining horse" in google, guess what pops up... "Showing results for reining horse. Search instead for raining horse".. they do the work for you. Lol.

    And by the way, I'm not directing my fire at anyone, just straight up in the air mostly. Sorry if I make anyone mad. But, like I said, I think this goes wayyy beyond being lazy with the english language. There's a much bigger issue at hand.
    Golden Horse and Dresden like this.
         
        08-27-2011, 04:28 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
    See the following thread...

    The Importance of Spelling and Grammar....

    Well said!! And sorry, didn't realize this would be a repeat post. However, it is such an important issue, I think 8 months later, it needed brought up again anyways. :) And looks like you created quite a stir back then as well. You said it much better than I.
         
        08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
      #18
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sierrams1123    
    depending on my mood is if I check the spelling and really check if what I just typed really fast makes any sense to others because my mind knew what I meant :)
    But mostly I think people call others out on these little things as a cheap shot.
    I can not spell for the life of me, but I am very good with numbers and I like to think of myself as a very well educated person. I tend to think spelling does not really help judge someone's education, although the way someone talks (more in person then online) and how they word their sentences is how I base my opinion.

    P.S. THIS IS A HORSE FORUM NOT LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS -> LAST TIME I CHECKED ANYWAYS :)

    I also am far more versed in math than in spelling so guess what...I use Mozilla FF as my browser and it has a free spell check on it. Problem solved.

    As far as this being a horse...very true. But those that can't communicate in a language I can understand will not get any replies from me.

    I also refuse to read those that haven't a clue what a paragraph is and put 10 SEPARATE ideas into one run on block of words.

    While punctuation is important I will forgive some but when I have to say to myself " Holy batman run on sentence" because of what I read....then it is dismissed without further reading also.
    tinyliny, Golden Horse and Dresden like this.
         
        08-27-2011, 05:56 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyder    
    I use Mozilla FF as my browser and it has a free spell check on it. Problem solved.
    I was so glad when I found that, it has improved the appearance of my spelling so much.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyder    

    I also refuse to read those that haven't a clue what a paragraph is and put 10 SEPARATE ideas into one run on block of words.

    YES, it's not so much that I refuse to read, I often try, but I just can't cope with huge blocks of text. You may notice I tend to be at the other end of that extreme, but that is how I read best.
         
        08-27-2011, 07:14 PM
      #20
    Started
    If proper spelling and use of punctuation is not valued for what it us, why should numbers be valued? Could it be because the numbers would make no sense if they were not used correctly? I think it's the same thing.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    anybody else has this problem ? Frankiee Horse Riding 30 04-10-2011 08:27 PM
    i have a problem whatarush43 Horse Health 18 01-14-2010 12:00 PM
    Help with bit problem!! ILoveGeorgieMyPony Horse Tack and Equipment 20 06-24-2009 03:45 AM
    Old Problem Solved New Problem Arrived! HorsesAreForever Horse Training 5 04-25-2009 02:17 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0