Where did my confidence go ?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Where did my confidence go ?

This is a discussion on Where did my confidence go ? within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Where did my confidence go

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
  #1
Foal
Where did my confidence go ?

Hi all sorry to do another thread,

But I have a horse I brought that was very skinny and I brought him back upto weight, I have seen people ride him, He is good for some and not for others, I want to have th confidence to ride him, I get an inch closer each time and then I get nurvous and I deside not to ride him, I have never ridden this horse but have seen people ride him, His only ever bucked once, It was enough to make me feel too not ride him, Never Reared or bolted, Buck I can handle Rears I wont, I want to be how to ride him more than anything in the world right now but im just lacking confidence.

How can I get passed this stage and just not think about it and just hop on him I know my answer is right there but something always holds me back.

Thanks any advice would be great thanks girls.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
  #2
Gus
Banned
Hmmmm I going to be honest I never had that problem. I love riding new horses so I just get on. Why are you scared? I have several mottos and one of my fav is, COWBOY UP OR GO SIT IN THE TRUCK! Meanin don't be afraid, you are a good rider and you gotta trust your self that you know that as well. Not to be rude under any circumstance, but I think you have yourself on a leash, take it off, let yourself run wild! Life has risks horses is one thing you gotta take that chance, who knows perhaps he will be a doll and you to will click. If you get bucked off get back on and show who is boss Don't be afraid you can do it
     
    12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus    
hmmmm I going to be honest I never had that problem. I love riding new horses so I just get on. Why are you scared? I have several mottos and one of my fav is, COWBOY UP OR GO SIT IN THE TRUCK! Meanin don't be afraid, you are a good rider and you gotta trust your self that you know that as well. Not to be rude under any circumstance, but I think you have yourself on a leash, take it off, let yourself run wild! Life has risks horses is one thing you gotta take that chance, who knows perhaps he will be a doll and you to will click. If you get bucked off get back on and show who is boss Don't be afraid you can do it

Thank you so much!!!! That has definitely given me a huge kick about riding him, I don't no why im scared something just holds me back I know its nurves, I don't know why tho I really can exsplain that part of it
     
    12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
  #4
Gus
Banned
I know sometimes I get "nervous/excited" about the breed. What breed is he?
     
    12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus    
I know sometimes I get "nervous/excited" about the breed. What breed is he?

Thanks for the reply,

His a tb. 16,1 hh 11 year old, He has basic education. His one of the tbs that has a good day and a bad day
     
    12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
  #6
Gus
Banned
Oooo go for it! This is one of the breeds I get nervous about since they are very powerful but I currently am training our 4 year old ottb! And he has been testing me by want mini cro-hops, and a "buck" (if you want to call it that) but he is a doll, and I consider myself a good rider, since I was on a horse before I could walk.....
     
    12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus    
oooo go for it! This is one of the breeds I get nervous about since they are very powerful but I currently am training our 4 year old ottb! And he has been testing me by want mini cro-hops, and a "buck" (if you want to call it that) but he is a doll, and I consider myself a good rider, since I was on a horse before I could walk.....

See where I am not that exp in riding like I am, But im a nurvous rider, He does not suit my level but I want us to work it out...
     
    12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
  #8
Gus
Banned
See that's why I like to ride new horses as much as possible, that nervousnss goes away so fast!!!!!!!!
     
    12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
  #9
Super Moderator
Show rider, if you can just "cowboy up" , more power to you. Some folks don't do well with the "buck up and just do it" attitude. They do better with a little bit at a time. You know which fits you the best.
One thing I feel certain about is that if you feel ashamed of being afraid, it only gives the fear more power. First it's important to state clearly to yourself and to anyone else you feel close with that you FEEL fear. Ok, now talk about WHAT you are afraid of. Bring it out in the open . Say it without judgement or self condemnation. The rider who gets on when afraid is the bravest of all.

Then find someone who will work with you and start off with something simple, and stay in your comfort zone. Each successful ride will allow you to approach the next one with more confidence and push the edge of you're comfort zone further and further out.
If it's any consolation to you, I got bucked off last week, and though I really want to try riding that horse again and see if I can do better, I feel an element of fear , regarding the horse rearing (he did that too.)
     
    12-13-2010, 09:29 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Show rider, if you can just "cowboy up" , more power to you. Some folks don't do well with the "buck up and just do it" attitude. They do better with a little bit at a time. You know which fits you the best.
One thing I feel certain about is that if you feel ashamed of being afraid, it only gives the fear more power. First it's important to state clearly to yourself and to anyone else you feel close with that you FEEL fear. Ok, now talk about WHAT you are afraid of. Bring it out in the open . Say it without judgement or self condemnation. The rider who gets on when afraid is the bravest of all.

Then find someone who will work with you and start off with something simple, and stay in your comfort zone. Each successful ride will allow you to approach the next one with more confidence and push the edge of you're comfort zone further and further out.
If it's any consolation to you, I got bucked off last week, and though I really want to try riding that horse again and see if I can do better, I feel an element of fear , regarding the horse rearing (he did that too.)

Thanks for the advice its really good to hear from everyone, I really can't exsplin what holds me back, I have seen him on a good day, And have seen him at his worst, I lack confidence really bad when it comes to him,

I always think " What if " I know I shouldnt but I do :(

I want to just go out there be boss saddle him up and enjoy the ride but I know that is going to come with time,

He knows how to test my buttons, He tests every rider.

When in the round yard he does things that I don't like that puts me off riding him, On ground lunging he will rear and he will try and walk all over me, Under saddle he is different, I am thinking of putting some money into him training wise, But id rather look at every option before he has to get to that.

I want this to be the horse I " Click " with, On a bad day he is a bad horse like he wont let you near him I want this said horse to be my good riding horse as his to die for, But if I want to go out and compete or something and his havin a bad day there goes my plans for the day, I want to be how to ride this one rather than going out buying a new one...

I just need to get passed the he may do this he may do that if I can get passed that I can go far with this boy I know I can... He has shown so much potential to all his riders that he can be a good riding horse.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confidence xdrybonesxvalleyx Horse Riding 18 05-24-2010 09:06 PM
confidence mizzmoorfield Horse Riding 3 05-17-2010 04:13 PM
Confidence bossybum Horse Riding 30 05-07-2010 07:36 AM
Self confidence Five Furlongs Horse Training 10 03-21-2010 06:48 PM
Low Confidence CrazyChester Horse Riding 29 11-20-2009 06:41 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0