Where did my confidence go ? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
• Horses: 4
i'm sure you've heard that the horses can sense your fear so just pushing yourself to get on the horse may not be a smart choice. If this horse has acted up before, sensing your nervousness might give the horse the idea to see what it can get away with. If you can get through that and show the horse you are going to ride it regardless of it's behavior then that's great but if yor going to let the horse win and back down as soon as it tries something that scares you, it will be alot harder to get back on later.

my horse, my first love, my true love, my only love<3
live4myhorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 32
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4myhorses View Post
i'm sure you've heard that the horses can sense your fear so just pushing yourself to get on the horse may not be a smart choice. If this horse has acted up before, sensing your nervousness might give the horse the idea to see what it can get away with. If you can get through that and show the horse you are going to ride it regardless of it's behavior then that's great but if yor going to let the horse win and back down as soon as it tries something that scares you, it will be alot harder to get back on later.

Thank you I see your point fully, He can sense when someone is nurvous like right now I want to go ride him and as soon as I get to him ill be a chicken
showrider is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Gus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 625
• Horses: 7
tb are the perfect hroses for pushing buttons. I know it hard but I would recomend getting on. Once you deal with a high strung tb you can ride any horse XD just kidding i've seen very strung horses. It is easier said than done.

What I would do was get on for a few min (I recomend 10-20 min) not long just so you get a feel for him, then just spend time with him, groom him, give him treats/pet him, mess around with him, show him you just want to be buds. Check out monty Roberts methods ^^I love him
Gus is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 32
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
tb are the perfect hroses for pushing buttons. I know it hard but I would recomend getting on. Once you deal with a high strung tb you can ride any horse XD just kidding i've seen very strung horses. It is easier said than done.

What I would do was get on for a few min (I recomend 10-20 min) not long just so you get a feel for him, then just spend time with him, groom him, give him treats/pet him, mess around with him, show him you just want to be buds. Check out monty Roberts methods ^^I love him

Thanks again I may give that a go tonight. He loves being a pet so he wont mind that
showrider is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Gus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 625
• Horses: 7
Hahahaha I would also say don't spoil him awhole lot or he will just become bad mannered. I would say mess with him and do hard work or just work, show him, "we can have fun but we also have to work and pay attention to me!"

That should be enough, you have alot to sleep on ;)
Gus is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 32
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hahahaha I would also say don't spoil him awhole lot or he will just become bad mannered. I would say mess with him and do hard work or just work, show him, "we can have fun but we also have to work and pay attention to me!"

That should be enough, you have alot to sleep on ;)

Will be bringing him in tonight hopfully ill be passed that " what if " stage and hop on and have a small quick ride.
showrider is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Gus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 625
• Horses: 7
I definitely suggest a short, easy ride
Gus is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Gus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 625
• Horses: 7
Good luck!!!!! I want an update!!!
Gus is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 32
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Good luck!!!!! I want an update!!!

Thanks for the help, Will give an update.
showrider is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SE Finland
Posts: 16,568
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
Show rider, if you can just "cowboy up" , more power to you. Some folks don't do well with the "buck up and just do it" attitude. They do better with a little bit at a time. You know which fits you the best.
One thing I feel certain about is that if you feel ashamed of being afraid, it only gives the fear more power. First it's important to state clearly to yourself and to anyone else you feel close with that you FEEL fear. Ok, now talk about WHAT you are afraid of. Bring it out in the open . Say it without judgement or self condemnation. The rider who gets on when afraid is the bravest of all.
That.

I'm one of those riders who get nervous and startled very easily. Horse doesn't need to do that much, just get nervous or for example run away and I'm in fear, thinking those 'what ifs' too.

Horses sense it. They sense when you're scared. I'm not sure how are you there, can you have for example someone to lead the horse during first times? Start with small things that you feel comfort with, just little walking or something. If you start to get nervous, focus your thoughts on somewhere else or imagine that the horse TOTALLY calm if you can. Once when I started to become nervous myself, I imagined the horse I rode was actually the guy I was fallen for and that he wouldn't act badly toward me. It helped, I managed to calm myself down.

"On hyviä vuosia, kauniita muistoja, mutta kuitenkaan, en saata unohtaa,
Että koskaan en ole yksin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Vaikka myrsky hetkeksi tyyntyykin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Ja pian taas uusin hönkäyksin, varjo seuraa onneain.
Hei tuu mun luo, pieneksi hetkeksi. Puhutaan, varjoni, valkoiseksi enkeliksi."

Pelle Miljoona Oy - Varjo seuraa onneain


Last edited by TaMMa89; 12-14-2010 at 12:31 PM.
TaMMa89 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confidence xdrybonesxvalleyx Horse Riding 18 05-24-2010 09:06 PM
confidence mizzmoorfield Horse Riding 3 05-17-2010 04:13 PM
Confidence bossybum Horse Riding 30 05-07-2010 07:36 AM
Self confidence Five Furlongs Horse Training 10 03-21-2010 06:48 PM
Low Confidence CrazyChester Horse Riding 29 11-20-2009 06:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome