your thoughts on suicide - Page 13
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

your thoughts on suicide

This is a discussion on your thoughts on suicide within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
      #121
    Trained
    Great post, paintsrule.

    I think what people should realize is no one wants to die. That just seems like the only solution. Instead, we/they want the pain to stop. To be saved. When I was suicidal, a friend said to me: "What if you die and nothing happens. You won't be able to feel sadness or hurt, but you won't be able to feel relief either. You will be nothing".

    It's hard to explain how incredibly attractive that sounded to me. To feel nothing.
    I know I'm not the only person to have felt that way. Everyone would much rather be happy and free of pain instead of dead. But when you are at that point, the idea that you could ever be happy is so inconceivable. You think that even if you were happy, something horrible would happen and you would just be sad again so whats the point?

    You assume everyone will move on or be better without you OR you just can't care or seem to think about it. Because you feel worthless. You feel as if you are not contributing to the world or won't be missed when you are gone.

    How completely insane does that sound? Even being the one who thought it, I can say it doesnt sound sane. I'm just trying to show some people who maybe never had these feelings the type of thoughts that go through your head.

    You can be depressed and never be suicidal. No rational person will think suicide is an option, but when you cross over that line, your think in a completely irrational way.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-28-2010, 11:16 PM
      #122
    Green Broke
    To feel nothing would be a splendid thing when you are in that state. I agree completely.

    I think you justify that people around you will move on so you don't have to have the additional burden of their sadness if you do kill yourself.
         
        09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
      #123
    Trained
    Definitly true, Solon.

    I am trying to think of what happened for me.

    I remember for a long time, I never did anything because I knew people would be left behind. I don't remember what happened but it was like I woke up one day and someone had turned a switch and I couldn't bear to deal with their hurt on top of my own so I just told myself they would move on. I thought I was "Finally doing something for myself instead of everyone else" :roll: Go figure.
         
        09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
      #124
    Green Broke
    Solon is what stopped me. I realized living without him was a worse hell than what I was going through.
         
        09-28-2010, 11:23 PM
      #125
    Started
    Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove    
    Great post, paintsrule.

    I think what people should realize is no one wants to die. That just seems like the only solution. Instead, we/they want the pain to stop. To be saved. When I was suicidal, a friend said to me: "What if you die and nothing happens. You won't be able to feel sadness or hurt, but you won't be able to feel relief either. You will be nothing".

    It's hard to explain how incredibly attractive that sounded to me. To feel nothing.
    I know I'm not the only person to have felt that way. Everyone would much rather be happy and free of pain instead of dead. But when you are at that point, the idea that you could ever be happy is so inconceivable. You think that even if you were happy, something horrible would happen and you would just be sad again so whats the point?

    You assume everyone will move on or be better without you OR you just can't care or seem to think about it. Because you feel worthless. You feel as if you are not contributing to the world or won't be missed when you are gone.

    How completely insane does that sound? Even being the one who thought it, I can say it doesnt sound sane. I'm just trying to show some people who maybe never had these feelings the type of thoughts that go through your head.

    You can be depressed and never be suicidal. No rational person will think suicide is an option, but when you cross over that line, your think in a completely irrational way.
    This is a great post. I don't like to think back to the days I was suicidal. It hurts me to think about it. But when every morning, just waking up was a chore and I was never happy and nothing...not even horses made me happy I was ready to do something about it. I got help...but even the help didn't help. I remember walking out on the bridge late at night and watching the water crash against the rocks and wondered how it would feel. The peacefulness of falling and then the pain of my body slamming against the rocks. But unlike you...all I felt was nothing. I didn't have any emotions anymore. I thought maybe if I did something...like what I said above, I would finally feel something. Luckily, I called my boyfriend at the time. And when he came and let me cry and he just held me and told me he couldn't fix my problems but would always be by my side to help me with them...I felt loved for the first time in a long time. That's the only thing that kept me from jumping over the side of the bridge that night.
         
        09-28-2010, 11:24 PM
      #126
    Trained
    Aren't horses amazing?

    The same experience is what made me decide on my career. Once I get my LCSW, I'll be practicing therapy using Equine Facilitated Therapy.

    RoughRider:

    I don't mind talking about my experiences because I hope someone can relate and feel like someone else got through it so maybe they can too. I've never been to the point where I felt nothing and was seeking to feel so it's hard for me to understand that side of it. Thanks for sharing your story. :)
         
        09-28-2010, 11:25 PM
      #127
    Weanling
    So true Spastic_Dove. It just seems not worth it anymore. Its like, if you left, everyone you knew and once loved would find out and just say, "Oh really? Hmm. Now whats for dinner?" Like no one would give a flying patooty if you lived or died. And that may not be true but it sure seems like that when your toes are over the cliff.
    To "outsiders", if you will, it may seem like really? Come on now, you can't honestly think NO ONE cares? But uh yeah, people do feel that way. Happiness, to people considering sucide, seems like something that existed a billion years ago and was suddenly yanked from you and ran far away and is never coming back. If you can pull, dig, claw yourself out of the pit and off the cliff your rational thought will come back and it will be like wait, huh? I felt that way, naaah, that's stupid! But, unfortunatly for truly depressed people the bad, sad, horrible feelings will come back and for alot of people this rollarcoaster becomes more than they can take, and sometimes they never climb out or lift their heads above water to stop the drowning. They stay there in that depressed, agonizing almost catatonic state, lying in bed, dreaming of being nothing, and slip away, exhausted from feeling. It happens, its not rational, like Spastic_Dove said, but its reality and no one should be punished for feeling reality.
         
        09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
      #128
    Started
    Post

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove    
    Aren't horses amazing?

    The same experience is what made me decide on my career. Once I get my LCSW, I'll be practicing therapy using Equine Facilitated Therapy.

    RoughRider:

    I don't mind talking about my experiences because I hope someone can relate and feel like someone else got through it so maybe they can too. I've never been to the point where I felt nothing and was seeking to feel so it's hard for me to understand that side of it. Thanks for sharing your story. :)
    No problem. I guess when I read your story, I felt I had to because in my mind, I couldn't understand why you would want to feel nothing. Like that one song says, "I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all." When people ask me about it now, I've learned that "nothing" is the hardest feeling to decribe. Some people say that you can't feel nothing but I don't believe that.
         
        09-28-2010, 11:32 PM
      #129
    Trained
    Funny that you mention that, that song has always confused me because at times nothing seemed like the greatest thing in the world and I couldn't imagine wanting to feel.
    Can't say I've ever been in your shoes though.

    Funny how the mind works...
         
        09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
      #130
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRoughrider21    
    Some people say that you can't feel nothing but I don't believe that.
    Oh yes, you can. I have. Its like walking around and existing in a catanoic state where nothing matters. You're just DONE. You just havent gotten to the last step the leaving step, the step to making the nothingness permanant.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Another maybe...thoughts? QHDragon Horse Riding Critique 15 06-27-2010 01:16 AM
    YOUR thoughts? Fogged-In Horse Talk 4 07-10-2009 05:58 PM
    Sisters, Dramas & suicide!!! KiwiRyder General Off Topic Discussion 3 09-23-2008 06:45 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0