Books - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > Hobbies

Books

This is a discussion on Books within the Hobbies forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
      #21
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snapple122    
    I used to be so into the Pony Pals series when I was younger, I had atleast 20 of them. I loved them.. now it takes me like 20 minutes to read a whole Pony Pals book! Haha
    LOL
    Yeah, I find that funny now. 10 minutes to finish a book.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
      #22
    Yearling
    I got over the vampire stage when I was too young to be mixing it with personal fantasies :P
         
        12-13-2008, 07:10 PM
      #23
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by claireauriga    
    I got over the vampire stage when I was too young to be mixing it with personal fantasies :P
    LMAO
    What are you saying about me, then?

    J/K.

    Staying young and crazy at heart is good for your brain.
         
        12-14-2008, 06:59 AM
      #24
    Yearling
    XD I hope you don't think I'm saying anything about you when I share my opinion on Anne Rice's novels! I'm more than happy for people to criticise or comment on the books I read too, after all.

    My vampire stage had come and gone by the age of fourteen, so I didn't really get into the whole ooh, sucking blood is even better than sex thing xD That kind of Oh So Sweeping Gothic Morbid Sexuality With A Dash Of Pop Philosophy Thrown In stuff doesn't appeal to me. I prefer ... oh, Really Rather Crappy Sci-Fi But It's Fun Anyway Because It's Not Quite So Generic As The Rest.
         
        12-14-2008, 09:25 AM
      #25
    Super Moderator
    I checked the clearance sale of our municipality's library in the last week and found one of the books that I tended to read when I was younger (Angela Sommer-Bodenburg - Der kleine Vampir liest vor, a Finnish translation). Had to buy it because it cost only 20cents. I tend to check the library's clearance sale occasionally and even sometimes find and buy very interesting books or books that I tended to read when I was children.
         
        12-14-2008, 04:24 PM
      #26
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by claireauriga    
    xD I hope you don't think I'm saying anything about you when I share my opinion on Anne Rice's novels! I'm more than happy for people to criticise or comment on the books I read too, after all.

    My vampire stage had come and gone by the age of fourteen, so I didn't really get into the whole ooh, sucking blood is even better than sex thing xD That kind of Oh So Sweeping Gothic Morbid Sexuality With A Dash Of Pop Philosophy Thrown In stuff doesn't appeal to me. I prefer ... oh, Really Rather Crappy Sci-Fi But It's Fun Anyway Because It's Not Quite So Generic As The Rest.
    Oh no, no worries! LOL
    I didn't think that at all, just playing around. I've got an awful sense of humour.
    To each their own, as long as we are enjoying it as we go along.
         
        12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
      #27
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TaMMa89    
    I checked the clearance sale of our municipality's library in the last week and found one of the books that I tended to read when I was younger (Angela Sommer-Bodenburg - Der kleine Vampir liest vor, a Finnish translation). Had to buy it because it cost only 20cents. I tend to check the library's clearance sale occasionally and even sometimes find and buy very interesting books or books that I tended to read when I was children.
    Second hand book stores are the best!
    Found a whole crapload there that I would have spent probably close to another $80 on had I bought them from, say, Chapters.
    And that's another $80 towards a new horse!
         
        12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
      #28
    Showing
    Speaking of books, I just got back from Borders! My favorite authors are Lauren Myracle- her books "TTYL", "TTFN" & "l8r, g8r" are AMAZING. They're written in IM form as well...it's awesome. So fun to read.
    I also like the IT Girl series (I forgot her name, but she's also the author of the Gossip Girl series)- amazing books. I love to read.
         
        12-16-2008, 07:45 PM
      #29
    Trained
    Oh, books... I love nothing better than spending hours in a bookshop, just browsing...

    Favourite books... At the moment, i'm reading pretty near every book Sara Douglass has written. Australian fantasy author. The Axis Trilogy was amazing, and the Wayfarer redemption was good, although quite similar to the Axis Trilogy. Threshold is amazing, my favourite so far, and Beyond the Hanging Wall had to be read, to lead into her latest series, combining all the previous books I mentioned, Darkglass Mountain. I've read the first one so far, and love it, and on the waiting list at the library for the second, and the third isn't out yet. Love her books. The world she creates is just amazing, as are the people inhabiting it. God I would love tobe/meet an Icarii...

    I must say i'm another lover of Anne Rice :]

    Also love Bryce Courtenay, Power of One was Great, Tandia even better. Four Fires is tragic, Sylvia was tragic as well... Whitethorn I found to be very similar to Power of One, but again very moving.

    For all you mystery buffs, Mallawindy by Joy Dettman is amazing, and you never guess until the last page. It is written quite fragmentally, interspersed with poems, but it is amazing and very touching, as well as incredibly tragic.

    Mayfield and Vale Valhalla, Can't remember the author, are great epics, and my favourite epic has to be The Emancipist, goes from Ireland in the famine into Australia during it's first years. Amazing book.

    Love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, probably the only chick lit/mystery books I like.

    Of course I loved Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Narnia etc.

    Tomorrow When the War Began is an amazing series by John Marsden, and a claim to fame, the main character is based on my godsister :] How cool is that!

    Well that is all I can think of for now...
         
        12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
      #30
    Weanling
    I LOVE books! I have too many favorites to name them all but I'll name some . I've read all the Kay Scarpetta books by Patiricia Cornwell love 'em! I just got done with Duma Key by Stephen King, I'm a big fan of his and this book is awsome! If you love mysteries and dogs check out the author Susan Conant, she writes a dog lovers mystery series that is very good. One of my all time favorite books is Watchers by Dean Koontz. The Harry Potter books who couldn't love them??? I just finished reading Twilight and have started New Moon, didn't really know about them until the big frenzy about the Twilight movie coming out, I like them and plan to read the whole series. Tess Gerritsen is another great author in the forensic genre and I have to say the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich are great fun! Oh and one more book..... Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is a great read! I'll shut up now before I end up writing a book of my own
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Painting Books Closed irisheyes12 Horse Artwork 0 10-18-2008 12:34 PM
    Books... free or to buy. FutureVetGirl Tack and Equipment Classifieds 13 08-26-2008 12:44 AM
    books SonnyWimps General Off Topic Discussion 13 05-29-2008 11:52 PM
    Equestrian Books - latest Horse Books & Movies Online kelpie Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 04-02-2007 11:03 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0