Writing - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth, last time I checked
Posts: 1,254
• Horses: 1
I like fluff....
That's very neat, I love writing. Getting feeedback on writing is great. Most pople write what they like.
Cowgirl101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 54 Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 206
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl101 View Post
Anyone else enjoy writing?
Weeelllllll, (Pam sighs) after twenty-five books, there are some days when I do not enjoy the process. Usually, that occurs when my book is in "galley" format and I'm forced to read it for the umpteenth time because I know if I don't, and there's a typo, someone out there in romance reader land will send me a letter listing all said typos. For the most part, however, I do love my job. I wish I had a regular income, tho. The wait between royalty checks can be long.

I have my first electronic book out this week. The publishing company that purchased the story releases it digitally first, then in paperback in three months. I'm having a tough time educating my readers that while my book is technically "out" it won't be in Barnes & Noble et al until January 2011. Ooi. But electronic publishing pays IMMEDIATELY. (And 30% royalties!! Niiice.) I like that concept so I'm really excited about not having to wait a year before my seeing some $$$s. (Sometimes more than a year.)

Pamela Britton
Pamela Britton Home

Farmpony, why aren't you writing??? Hmmmm?
PBritton2U is offline  
post #23 of 54 Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth, last time I checked
Posts: 1,254
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBritton2U View Post
Weeelllllll, (Pam sighs) after twenty-five books, there are some days when I do not enjoy the process. Usually, that occurs when my book is in "galley" format and I'm forced to read it for the umpteenth time because I know if I don't, and there's a typo, someone out there in romance reader land will send me a letter listing all said typos. For the most part, however, I do love my job. I wish I had a regular income, tho. The wait between royalty checks can be long.

I have my first electronic book out this week. The publishing company that purchased the story releases it digitally first, then in paperback in three months. I'm having a tough time educating my readers that while my book is technically "out" it won't be in Barnes & Noble et al until January 2011. Ooi. But electronic publishing pays IMMEDIATELY. (And 30% royalties!! Niiice.) I like that concept so I'm really excited about not having to wait a year before my seeing some $$$s. (Sometimes more than a year.)

Pamela Britton
Pamela Britton Home

Farmpony, why aren't you writing??? Hmmmm?
Sorry but that was all over the place.
I like writing, guessing you do to. Writing comes with a passion of it well for me. It suppose to be fun like horses are.

I have a plot for a awesome book, sorry don't want spoiler. I will keep writing until I like it a enough to make it into a book. But now I do stories around 25000 words, short but better then nothing in my view.
Cowgirl101 is offline  
post #24 of 54 Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 968
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBritton2U View Post
....and I'm forced to read it for the umpteenth time because I know if I don't, and there's a typo, someone out there in romance reader land will send me a letter listing all said typos. ....
I was reading the "Monk" novelizations (from the TV show.) and there are SOOOO many typos in those! If *I* notice a typo, it's a Bad typo! All I could say was "Monk would so not approve of these books!" lol I don't know where their editor was. The author clearly wasn't proof-reading it himself. (I wasn't one of those people who wrote and complained. I just thought it was ironic that of all books to have so many typos, it would be a "Monk" book. (the Obsessive Compulsive Detective.))

Last edited by Reiterin; 10-29-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Reiterin is offline  
post #25 of 54 Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 4,806
• Horses: 1
I'd love to be a writer.

Cowgirl - fluff is bad :P I can waffle on for paragraphs about a particular past irrelevant event, or, I don't know, the fauna that grows in a certain part of the world. Or someones opinion on something. I keep saying to myself "get on with the story" but I never do. I love the details though, even if no one else does, it makes it sort of "real" to me, which I guess is kinda sad :(
Saskia is offline  
post #26 of 54 Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 206
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiterin View Post
I just thought it was ironic that of all books to have so many typos, it would be a "Monk" book. (the Obsessive Compulsive Detective.))
Wow. That's hysterical. And shoddy publishing, too. Our editors read our books one final time, too. Me thinks someone was snoozing on the job.

I once received a letter from a reader who claimed that part of the reason why she loved reading my books was because they were so free of typos. LOL.

Pam
PBritton2U is offline  
post #27 of 54 Old 10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,344
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBritton2U View Post
Wow. That's hysterical. And shoddy publishing, too. Our editors read our books one final time, too. Me thinks someone was snoozing on the job.

I once received a letter from a reader who claimed that part of the reason why she loved reading my books was because they were so free of typos. LOL.

Pam
The harlequinn superromances are usually pretty good about that, I've noticed that the special edition ones will have several typos in them. Not bad enough to bug you, but enough to notice. I haven't read any of the nascar ones. I like the quick reads because I can read them over a quick drive to the mountains or in one or two sittings...

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #28 of 54 Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth, last time I checked
Posts: 1,254
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I'd love to be a writer.

Cowgirl - fluff is bad :P I can waffle on for paragraphs about a particular past irrelevant event, or, I don't know, the fauna that grows in a certain part of the world. Or someones opinion on something. I keep saying to myself "get on with the story" but I never do. I love the details though, even if no one else does, it makes it sort of "real" to me, which I guess is kinda sad :(
I meant by Fluff: cute, sticky sweet, drama fluff.... Thta's what I why I like fluff, lol. I make my stories as enjoyable for the read as much as I can. If it bores the writers it probably bore the readers too. Bored reader are not good, so spice it up and have fun. :P
Cowgirl101 is offline  
post #29 of 54 Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: California
Posts: 206
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
I like the quick reads because I can read them over a quick drive to the mountains or in one or two sittings...
You should be WRITING them instead of READING them.

And I like how you completely ignored the dig at the end of my first message. Or did you miss my, "Farmpony, why aren't you writing??!" comment.



Pam
PBritton2U is offline  
post #30 of 54 Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mississippi, Usa
Posts: 2,978
• Horses: 0
Writing is a talent I don't have... Sometimes I wish I could
Katesrider011 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Writing a story LokiNewfie Horse Talk 2 08-11-2010 09:47 PM
I Need Help With Writing A Resume!! Whispering Meadows General Off Topic Discussion 5 08-16-2009 03:41 PM
Writing TaMMa89 Hobbies 49 02-28-2009 06:54 AM
writing farmpony84 General Off Topic Discussion 9 06-19-2008 04:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome