Ok..what am I doing wrong here? I have the hardest time getting a farrier to stick with me. Here are the bad points to it.
1) I only have two horses to trim.
2) I do live in the country a little.
3) My gelding is a past founder case and requires a little more care in his feet.
4) My gelding gets a little cranky/uncomfortable/ect and will jiggle his leg a little after about the 2nd hoof. I am working on this with him. Also, he will usually stop after I give him something to distract him like fiddling with his face, neck,ect.
5) The barn is not heated or lighted.
Here are the good points:
1) My horses don't bite, kick, rear, or anything really bad.
2) I always cross tie them in barn out of the weather.
3) They are always cleaned up and ready to go when the farrier gets there.
4) I always pay with cash and include a tip of at least $15.
5) I make my appointments and stick with them (I don't reschedule if at all possible)
6) I am up for any advice or suggestions the farrier gives me. (I do check it out on my own through research and the vet).
7) I will hold my horse or if they bring someone they prefer to do it I am ok with that.
There may be other points...but that is all I can think of at this time. My problem is that I can not get a farrier to stick with me and I am so frustrated. I call and make appointments and they will show and be great for a few months. Then they disappear. They miss appointments and everything. Farriers here are few and far between...unless I want joe-blow down the road to come give it a try and with my gelding having past founder I am not willing to risk that. I can not do it myself...so that is out.
I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong here to cause this? Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful. Mean while I am searching for a new one right now.