Crack in heel bulb causing lameness? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Crack in heel bulb causing lameness?

This is a discussion on Crack in heel bulb causing lameness? within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree1Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    I always clean his hooves everyday. The tattered hoof occurred after he came out. What kind of meds do I put on? Thrush buster?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
      #12
    Foal
    I use " No thrush powder" Look it up at www.nothrushstop.com, its wonderful stuff for thrush and would reccommmend it to anyone! The tattered parts are dead frog and the hoof is trying to regenerate new hoof but those flappy areas with house thrush cause its nice and warm and oxygen free:)
         
        05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    If its ouchie when you stick the hoof pick in there, he still has deep sulcus thrush. Id treat with dry cow mastitus cream and stuff a cotton ball in behind it to help op[en it up and keep the meds in. Once its no longer ouchie, a med change is usually in order. I like The No thrush powder and I also have luck with Thrushbuster on ones that are not real deep. Its too harsh for really deep infections. Keep using a cotton ball tho no matterwhat you do. Stuff it all the way in and leave it too you treat again. If it falls out, no biggie. Stuff it till it will no longer hold a cotton ball in the crack.
         
        05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    I think he may have this issue chronically. He had it back in November as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-15-2013, 02:58 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    It can still be cured. If you stop treating before its completely gone and closed up it will just come back since its a closed anaerobic space which thrush baddies love. You have to treat it religiously. I also like to scrub the foot with dawn dish soap water when its really dirty and yucky. Keeping it clean goes a long way.
    Roadyy likes this.
         
        05-15-2013, 04:13 PM
      #16
    Banned
    Iam still treating deep sulcus thrush its been over a month its looking better but not gone yet.

    I won't quit treating till its totally gone and healed up.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-15-2013, 04:45 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trinity3205    
    It can still be cured. If you stop treating before its completely gone and closed up it will just come back since its a closed anaerobic space which thrush baddies love. You have to treat it religiously. I also like to scrub the foot with dawn dish soap water when its really dirty and yucky. Keeping it clean goes a long way.
    Yes, it can be cured, but honestly, some horses are more prone. In the past 7 years or so that I've been back into horses, only one of them has been chronically thrushy. Drives me absolutely crazy. I cure it, I keep at it for another month just to be sure. Everyone who is into barefoot that sees her (including my trimmer who checks up on me) says I'm doing it all right, but still the thrush comes back again and again. <sigh> I figure it has to do with her basic genetic/chemical makeup. And so help me if I fall behind on her hoof care by even a couple of weeks -- I pay for it for the next 3 months. Like I am now - February and March were h*ll as far as finding time to look after her and her frogs have suffered for it.

    Over the years I have made improvements, but this is a battle I will fight with her until she dies; I'm convinced.
         
        05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
      #18
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trinity3205    
    If its ouchie when you stick the hoof pick in there, he still has deep sulcus thrush. Id treat with dry cow mastitus cream and stuff a cotton ball in behind it to help op[en it up and keep the meds in. Once its no longer ouchie, a med change is usually in order. I like The No thrush powder and I also have luck with Thrushbuster on ones that are not real deep. Its too harsh for really deep infections. Keep using a cotton ball tho no matterwhat you do. Stuff it all the way in and leave it too you treat again. If it falls out, no biggie. Stuff it till it will no longer hold a cotton ball in the crack.
    Ditto what Trinity says. Squirt dry cow in there every day, stuff hole with cotton balls to keep the opening exposed to air until the crack fills in from the inside out. That's not a crack, it's a crater. Very big hole. It's gotta hurt. Once it's healed, you can switch to a preventive such as scrubbing the frogs every other day or so with Dawn dish liquid or applying a 50/50 antiboitic cream/atheletes foot cream mixture.
         
        05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    I've been treating it with the Pete's Goo (1/2 neosporin, 1/2 Althletes foot cream) and stuffed hole with cotton. I just got some more cow dry today so will use that now. Now this is starting on the other hoof as well. :( idont get it! I clean his feet every single day. >:(
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-15-2013, 11:30 PM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots    
    I've been treating it with the Pete's Goo (1/2 neosporin, 1/2 Althletes foot cream) and stuffed hole with cotton. I just got some more cow dry today so will use that now. Now this is starting on the other hoof as well. :( idont get it! I clean his feet every single day. >:(
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You will make quicker progress with the dry cow. Don't beat yourself up about him getting it despite you cleaning them frequently. Contracted heels from poor trimming can also cause it. It did in my horse. I can't tell if that's what's going on with your guy without seeing more trim pics.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Sudden lameness after injurying heel bulb abbi1618 Hoof Care 3 08-29-2012 05:06 AM
    Heel bulb question Oldhorselady Hoof Care 15 06-26-2012 02:41 AM
    Heel Bulb Brain Teaser MyBoyPuck Hoof Care 20 06-03-2012 09:50 PM
    Hole in heel bulb? caseymyhorserocks Hoof Care 7 12-20-2011 11:26 PM
    Treating a burst heel bulb abscess? emilieg Horse Training 15 06-21-2010 09:55 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0