Critque this trim?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Critque this trim?

This is a discussion on Critque this trim? within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree17Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-02-2013, 09:34 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Critque this trim?

    Okay.. Well I haven't been the happiest with my farrier lately, and to be honest I feel like I did a better job here than he has done before. Now I know I made some mistakes and I would like them pointed out! What did I do wrong, and whats okay?

    On a side note, my horse is not lame and was comfortable immediately after the trim (which was the 30th) and is still comfortable today. I haven't check to see if he is landing heel first. I will look into that tomorrow.

    The first set attached are the left foot only. I'll do another post with the right.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Front Feet.jpg (85.9 KB, 279 views)
    File Type: jpg Left Front (2).jpg (52.3 KB, 264 views)
    File Type: jpg Left Front (inside view).jpg (60.3 KB, 264 views)
    File Type: jpg Left front(outside).jpg (50.0 KB, 261 views)
    File Type: jpg Left front (hind view).jpg (22.8 KB, 261 views)
    File Type: jpg Left Front G.jpg (53.6 KB, 262 views)
    File Type: jpg Left.jpg (31.2 KB, 260 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-02-2013, 09:37 PM
      #2
    Foal
    These are the right. Also, we are currently battling some thrush in the left foot. Bleck!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Right F.jpg (58.7 KB, 259 views)
    File Type: jpg Right F2.jpg (62.1 KB, 258 views)
    File Type: jpg Right Front G.jpg (85.3 KB, 258 views)
    File Type: jpg Right F3.jpg (74.0 KB, 259 views)
    File Type: jpg Right F 6.jpg (71.8 KB, 256 views)
         
        02-02-2013, 09:39 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Wow.. I just notice I spelled Critique wrong..
         
        02-02-2013, 09:54 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    ....okay I'm going to be honest, your farrier could have done better with a pair of safety scissors, if you aren't happy with your farrier GET A NEW ONE. It takes years of schooling and a working understanding of the anatomy of the leg and hoof before you can be a licensed farrier.
         
        02-02-2013, 09:57 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Subbing to learn....
         
        02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Do you have any pictures of a trim after your farrier's done her feet? I'm having a hard time believing that your trim job is better than your farrier's. If it is, then my goodness you need to find a different farrier who knows what they are doing.

    That being said, I HAVE seen worse jobs done, and you said the horse isn't lame from it. So.
    Samstead likes this.
         
        02-02-2013, 10:02 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    It looks like you did a good job! A little uneven from the looks of the pics but nice work :). Especially if it was your first time, whenever the farrier don't show(Almost always he is the only farrier within a two hour drive) I do my own horses here is a pic of my appy mares hooves after I trimmed them (They were horrible! I wish a new farrier would move here) I don't think I took enough off the front but they should be alright until the farrier shows (If ever). I have read several books on the subject. Also there are lots of tutorials you can attend and some are quite cheap!(Like 30 dollars) if your really interested in doing this often. I have worked with several farriers before when I lived in idaho and they said I did a great job.
         
        02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animallover707    
    It looks like you did a good job! A little uneven from the looks of the pics but nice work :). Especially if it was your first time, whenever the farrier don't show(Almost always he is the only farrier within a two hour drive) I do my own horses here is a pic of my appy mares hooves after I trimmed them (They were horrible! I wish a new farrier would move here) I don't think I took enough off the front but they should be alright until the farrier shows (If ever). I have read several books on the subject. Also there are lots of tutorials you can attend and some are quite cheap!(Like 30 dollars) if your really interested in doing this often. I have worked with several farriers before when I lived in idaho and they said I did a great job.
    those look a bit long....and like they'll chip quickly
         
        02-02-2013, 10:11 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HighonEquine    
    Okay.. Well I haven't been the happiest with my farrier lately, and to be honest I feel like I did a better job here than he has done before. Now I know I made some mistakes and I would like them pointed out! What did I do wrong, and whats okay?

    On a side note, my horse is not lame and was comfortable immediately after the trim (which was the 30th) and is still comfortable today. I haven't check to see if he is landing heel first. I will look into that tomorrow.

    The first set attached are the left foot only. I'll do another post with the right.
    I am far from an expert but imo, the hooves are too long and unbalanced. I really would get a farrier out to sort them out a bit.
    HorseCrazyTeen likes this.
         
        02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samstead    
    those look a bit long....and like they'll chip quickly
    Ya her hooves are way to tough. I rounded the toes but the farrier hasnt been here for three months and something had to be done. Her hooves need to be slowly brought back at the toe of the hoof. This is from not being trimmed and today I saw her hooves and was like im going to have to fix that. My farrier wont answer iv left like 10 messages.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Critque my NEW Boy Barrel Racing Lette Horse Riding Critique 6 04-23-2014 08:09 PM
    What is the difference between a barefoot trim & a farrier trim? flytobecat Horse Health 20 10-12-2013 05:04 PM
    Natural barefoot trim vs. Reg bareft trim?? free_sprtd Horse Health 9 12-28-2012 05:35 PM
    Hoof care, self trim V no trim Golden Horse Hoof Care 39 07-20-2011 07:23 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0