Farriers: What's your favorite breed to work on?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Farriers: What's your favorite breed to work on?

This is a discussion on Farriers: What's your favorite breed to work on? within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Whats your favouite breed of horse
  • Most farriers don't like to shoe mules

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-02-2011, 08:50 PM
  #1
Yearling
Farriers: What's your favorite breed to work on?

I'd be interested to know what other people like to work on. I'm sure there are several breeds that I've never done. My favorite is the Tennessee Walking Horse. They're not my choice to ride, but there are lots of them around here and they're real limber-legged(flexible), easy-going and predictable. Anybody else have a preference?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-02-2011, 11:34 PM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
I'd be interested to know what other people like to work on. I'm sure there are several breeds that I've never done. My favorite is the Tennessee Walking Horse. They're not my choice to ride, but there are lots of them around here and they're real limber-legged(flexible), easy-going and predictable. Anybody else have a preference?
In my experience, most farriers prefer focusing their business on one or more disciplines rather than any particular breed of horse. Western pleasure keeps it simple. Western performance offers more challenge. Hunter/Jumpers keep you focused on balance, traction and therapeutics. Same for polo ponies. Dressage is large, slow and flat shod. Trotters, pacers and foot wavers challenge your sense of gait and animation. Runners will give you an appreciation for finessing aluminum and living on Ramen noodles!

I'm over six feet tall so personally, I prefer any breed taller than 14.2 that stands quiet and comes with a paycheck when the work is done.

Cheers,
Mark
Red Gate Farm likes this.
     
    11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
  #3
Yearling
Haha foot wavers!! Nice. We call them doo-daddlers too. Finessing aluminum, yes. Nothing will ruin yer morning like breaking a 10 dollar aluminum shoe and busting yer hand with the shaping hammer. I'm tall too, that's partly why I like the TWHs. Here they're generally tall and rubber legged. Thanks!
     
    11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
  #4
Foal
I'm 6' too so I like the leggier ones. I shoe mostly trail, endurance, and a little of everything else. Like Horseman56 said, I like the ones best with the check waiting for me. I don't use aluminum it's a worthless metal to put on a horses foot. These hunters and WP folks who think aluminum fronts help their horses are smoking something.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
  #5
Trained
A well trained breed that is not stiff or sore!
     
    11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zimmerman    
... I don't use aluminum it's a worthless metal to put on a horses foot. These hunters and WP folks who think aluminum fronts help their horses are smoking something.
Not to appear argumentative, but I know of few in the h/j crowd that use aluminum. It's a lot of shear force on a drill and tapped caulk.

The WP folks like 'em flat and low.

The runners like to shave fractions of a second.

Cheers,
Mark
     
    11-03-2011, 11:18 PM
  #7
Foal
I know what you are saying Mark, as an apprentice I drilled and tapped more shoes than I care to remember, most of the hunters we shod were in aluminum but that was 15 years ago and I only worked under one guy in the Chicagoland area. The way I see it with WP the concept of flat and low is a matter of breakover. I purposely didn't mention racers because I have no expirience shoeing them. I don't care if other guys use aluminum for whatever reason, I personally have no use for it in my expirience. What do they say different strokes for different folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
  #8
Yearling
Anybody shoe many donkeys or mules? I'll share a story about donkeys.......For years I hated mules and donkeys. Cussed them and stepped on toes when the subject was brought up. Won't say I didn't touch them, but it was like pulling teeth, I was stubborn about it. Then about 4 years ago a respected mammoth donkey breeder nearby called and had alot of them to do in one place, and I gave them a fair shake. They surprised me. I learned to like them a little bit. Now this guy is the best handler I've been around. He does whatever it takes to make my job easier, and always has the next donk ready. I've learned alot about their temperament and how to handle them and with the good handling I can do alot of them in a day. Now, I don't think I'd ever ride one, they don't fit what I use one for. But they have padded my pocket!

Anyone else do donkeys or mules?
     
    11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
Anybody shoe many donkeys or mules? I'll share a story about donkeys.......For years I hated mules and donkeys. Cussed them and stepped on toes when the subject was brought up. Won't say I didn't touch them, but it was like pulling teeth, I was stubborn about it. Then about 4 years ago a respected mammoth donkey breeder nearby called and had alot of them to do in one place, and I gave them a fair shake. They surprised me. I learned to like them a little bit. Now this guy is the best handler I've been around. He does whatever it takes to make my job easier, and always has the next donk ready. I've learned alot about their temperament and how to handle them and with the good handling I can do alot of them in a day. Now, I don't think I'd ever ride one, they don't fit what I use one for. But they have padded my pocket!

Anyone else do donkeys or mules?
Yep... and per most owners, twice a year whether they need it or not! :roll:

Cheers,
Mark
     
    11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
  #10
Yearling
Haha these we do every 2 months whether they need it or not, and they usually don't. (just trims and they're on rocky hard ground) just use a rasp mostly and shape 'em up, I get my nippers out periodically so the man doesn't feel like he's getting cheated
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite breed? englishcowgirl1897 Horse Breeds 2 11-30-2010 10:32 AM
What's your Favorite Breed? SamboStar Horse Breeds 79 03-28-2009 01:11 PM
Favorite Breed GyPsY GiRL Horse Talk 23 01-29-2009 11:07 AM
Favorite Breed Fancy Girl Haflinger Horse Breeds 12 01-12-2009 07:16 PM
Best of your Favorite Breed? Nomi Horse Breeds 28 11-12-2008 08:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0