I had my filly trimmed when she was 6-7 months old and her feet needed it.
Picking up feet doesn't teach them to stand for the farrier. What I do with mine to help her:
- Hold each foot up for about a minute, work up to a minute. Not all of a sudden.
- Stretch their front legs forward and get them used to that. Not extreme stretching.
- Set the front legs on a bucket, my farrier recommended this.
- Set the back legs on a bucket.
- Another one is hold the foot between your legs like a farrier does, I never did this with mine and on her first trim she was not to happy when my farrier did that. My farrier had to work around that.
Make sure you have a calm and patient farrier, not one who will beat a horse. A friend of ours watched a farrier trim a horse we knew that had never been trimmed before. We were thinking of using this farrier, he had the filly dripping wet because he started punching, kicking, hitting, etc.. This isn't uncommon for this farrier either.