Foal trimming - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Foal trimming

This is a discussion on Foal trimming within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Equine legs at six weeks old

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
  #11
Yearling
He should be trimmed every time mom is trimmed - every 6 weeks. Likely all he will need is a light rasp ove rthe heel and toe but its good training too. Don't wait longer "because he is a baby" or his feet "look ok" All foals that are not trimmed generally develop under run heels and long toes whether you can tell or not. This does not allow for proper foot development as the baby grows. This is a critical age and long toes and low heels now may seriously inhibit his developing foot.

Also, turn him out over varied terrain. Hard and uneven is important. Soft lush pasture only is not a benefit to young feet.

The first 5 years of your horses life is the most important to developing a healthy sound foot for the rest of his life.
loosie and scubadreams like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-31-2013, 08:14 AM
  #12
Trained
My 10 week old filly was lightly rasped at one week just to start the training for it. And she was rasped pretty decently at 8 weeks old.

She picks up all feet like a pro and behaves well for the farrier. She'll be on the same schedule as the rest of my horses for every six weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-31-2013, 08:55 AM
  #13
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
Most of the time they won't take much to keep their feet even, foal feet tend to be pretty soft. But I would make a game of just picking up and holding his feet several times a day. That way when the farrier comes, he'll not get too upset about having his feet handled. I start having the farrier pick up babies feet and handling them when he does mom's feet right from the start. When they need their first real trim, it's generally not too traumatic for them.
Handling a horses hooves - no matter what the age - is never a GAME. People 'play' with babies and they grow up to be problem horses.
     
    05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
  #14
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
Handling a horses hooves - no matter what the age - is never a GAME. People 'play' with babies and they grow up to be problem horses.
I'm not in the mood for this.

I play with my foal.s. I sit down in their stalls and I run my hands over them, and down their legs and I pick up their feet and set them down again. All from the time they are a day or 2 old. They get used to it quickly and they don't mind being handled.

They are not allowed to bite, get on their back feet, kick or paw at me. EVER. While I am loving and playing with them, they are also taught manners.
     
    05-31-2013, 02:31 PM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
I'm not in the mood for this.

I play with my foal.s. I sit down in their stalls and I run my hands over them, and down their legs and I pick up their feet and set them down again. All from the time they are a day or 2 old. They get used to it quickly and they don't mind being handled.

They are not allowed to bite, get on their back feet, kick or paw at me. EVER. While I am loving and playing with them, they are also taught manners.
Me too.
Posted via Mobile Device
klkavich likes this.
     
    06-01-2013, 02:24 AM
  #16
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
Handling a horses hooves - no matter what the age - is never a GAME. People 'play' with babies and they grow up to be problem horses.
That would depend on what sorts of 'games' & 'play', & the way you do it, just the same as what sort of 'work' & 'tasks'.
scubadreams likes this.
     
    06-05-2013, 12:44 PM
  #17
Weanling
I had my filly trimmed when she was 6-7 months old and her feet needed it.

Picking up feet doesn't teach them to stand for the farrier. What I do with mine to help her:
- Hold each foot up for about a minute, work up to a minute. Not all of a sudden.
- Stretch their front legs forward and get them used to that. Not extreme stretching.
- Set the front legs on a bucket, my farrier recommended this.
- Set the back legs on a bucket.
- Another one is hold the foot between your legs like a farrier does, I never did this with mine and on her first trim she was not to happy when my farrier did that. My farrier had to work around that.

Make sure you have a calm and patient farrier, not one who will beat a horse. A friend of ours watched a farrier trim a horse we knew that had never been trimmed before. We were thinking of using this farrier, he had the filly dripping wet because he started punching, kicking, hitting, etc.. This isn't uncommon for this farrier either.
klkavich likes this.
     
    06-09-2013, 09:43 AM
  #18
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill Ride    
I had my filly trimmed when she was 6-7 months old and her feet needed it.

Picking up feet doesn't teach them to stand for the farrier. What I do with mine to help her:
- Hold each foot up for about a minute, work up to a minute. Not all of a sudden.
- Stretch their front legs forward and get them used to that. Not extreme stretching.
- Set the front legs on a bucket, my farrier recommended this.
- Set the back legs on a bucket.
- Another one is hold the foot between your legs like a farrier does, I never did this with mine and on her first trim she was not to happy when my farrier did that. My farrier had to work around that.

Make sure you have a calm and patient farrier, not one who will beat a horse. A friend of ours watched a farrier trim a horse we knew that had never been trimmed before. We were thinking of using this farrier, he had the filly dripping wet because he started punching, kicking, hitting, etc.. This isn't uncommon for this farrier either.
Our PREVIOUS farrier beat my horse ... He has not been asked to come back after that episode. We now have a great farrier.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regular trimming and barefoot trimming? LovesMyDunnBoy Horse Grooming 5 08-01-2013 09:06 AM
Foal Trimming - How Often? Whisper22 Horse Talk 13 01-12-2013 01:25 PM
The official when will Ace foal thread **Foal arrived!!*- Update Post #1054 Golden Horse Horse Breeding 1155 09-13-2011 10:50 PM
*Foal did not make it* - Foal due soon! Color/sex guesses? Poco1220 Horse Breeding 185 07-28-2011 07:16 PM
Foal, foal, cute little foal!!!!!!!! PIC OVERLOAD! DutchHorse Horse Pictures 9 07-21-2008 10:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0