Has anyone tried aluminum shoes? - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Has anyone tried aluminum shoes?

Was just curious as to if anyone had opinions on steel vs. aluminum shoes. I just had my horse done in aluminum, but since this is the first time that I, personally, have shod him, I have no other frame of reference.

They are lighter, but that's all I have to go on at the moment.
Katyusha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,165
• Horses: 3
Aluminum shoes wear out faster than steel. If that's not an issue for you, then stick with aluminum.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Aluminum shoes wear out faster than steel. If that's not an issue for you, then stick with aluminum.

That makes sense - so then what's the advantage to aluminum (other than they weigh less)?
Katyusha is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyusha View Post
That makes sense - so then what's the advantage to aluminum (other than they weigh less)?
That is the sole purpose.

The reasons may vary leg issues, joint issues, speed (racing), etc.
mls is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
That is the sole purpose.

The reasons may vary leg issues, joint issues, speed (racing), etc.

Thanks!
Katyusha is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,284
• Horses: 1
The owner of the horse I lease wanted him to be shod with aluminum shoes during show season. No one at my (dressage) barn could figure out why and my trainer told me it can actually flatten out a horse's movement (not a good thing). It was a big pain to get it done right, as the barn farrier (who I no longer use) didn't stock aluminum and wouldn't proactively bring new ones out. He actually reset a pair of them twice, and even I could tell that they were way too worn out for a reset.

From what I gathered, it's a lot more common with jumpers. I read some articles on the 'net that seemed to indicate it was less concussive than steel.
verona1016 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,372
• Horses: 0
From what I understand it is supposed to help with front leg fatigue(weight). Depending on the use- like jumping it would help with picking up the front legs and folding but they don't hold a caulk well, with barrel horses the same but maybe(not so much of front leg folding) with a toe grab rather than caulks for traction, and of course for racing and harness racing. Unless you are doing a specialized events that require it I don't really see the need for them.

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 View Post
From what I understand it is supposed to help with front leg fatigue(weight). Depending on the use- like jumping it would help with picking up the front legs and folding but they don't hold a caulk well, with barrel horses the same but maybe(not so much of front leg folding) with a toe grab rather than caulks for traction, and of course for racing and harness racing. Unless you are doing a specialized events that require it I don't really see the need for them.
Good to know. I didn't ask for them, my farrier just recommended them (since it was my first time using any farrier, I didn't know any better.)
But at this point, he doesn't really need aluminum for the purposes stated.
Katyusha is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 324
• Horses: 3
They use them in racing for obvious reasons, and in that environment those horses are having their feet done on a much more regular basis than horses used for general purpose. Those farriers check in almost daily at some yards to make fixes to loose shoes. They wear out faster. A normal set of steel shoes lasts about 4 weeks or more depending on the work the animal is doing and the weather and terrain and growth of the hoof. Aluminum shoes wont last long. Your farrier will be replacing shoes and sending you a bill VERY often!

My OTTB came to me with aluminum shoes, his feet are soft now from the regular changing in shoes and we are reconditioning him to steel ones. At the moment (from being in Aluminum shoes) he loses a shoes in 2 to 3 weeks because his feet are so soft.

I would stick to steel shoes.
MysticL is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticL View Post
They use them in racing for obvious reasons, and in that environment those horses are having their feet done on a much more regular basis than horses used for general purpose. Those farriers check in almost daily at some yards to make fixes to loose shoes. They wear out faster. A normal set of steel shoes lasts about 4 weeks or more depending on the work the animal is doing and the weather and terrain and growth of the hoof. Aluminum shoes wont last long. Your farrier will be replacing shoes and sending you a bill VERY often!

My OTTB came to me with aluminum shoes, his feet are soft now from the regular changing in shoes and we are reconditioning him to steel ones. At the moment (from being in Aluminum shoes) he loses a shoes in 2 to 3 weeks because his feet are so soft.

I would stick to steel shoes.

Good to know, thanks!!
Katyusha is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever tried an all aluminum bit? pafarms Horse Tack and Equipment 5 05-16-2011 08:25 AM
Shoes v. No Shoes? Need Good Introduction FrannyGlass Horse Health 2 02-18-2011 08:35 PM
Get some bling on them shoes! *Buying a new pair of horse shoes.* myhorsesonador Horse Tack and Equipment 7 02-14-2011 01:25 PM
Steel vs. Aluminum Shoes? IrishRider Horse Tack and Equipment 32 06-10-2009 12:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome