Heel first landing
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Heel first landing

This is a discussion on Heel first landing within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree15Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-19-2014, 02:49 AM
      #1
    Started
    Heel first landing

    I am wondering, even though my percheron is still sore with her soles, she is walking heel first.....so does that mean, at least her heels are becoming stronger? Is that a good sign, or does it really mean nothing? She wasn't walking heel first before this journey.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-19-2014, 06:10 AM
      #2
    Trained
    I'm not an expert, but I would take it as a good sign.
    Clava likes this.
         
        05-19-2014, 07:59 AM
      #3
    Yearling
    A SLIGHT heel first landing is normal and desireable.You should barely be able to see a little "air" under the toe at the last second of the landing if You are standing in front of the horse as she is walked freely toward you.

    However if she is 'slapping' the heels down hard, it is usually a sign that either the horse is protecting the sore toes, or the heels are too tall.
    loosie likes this.
         
        05-19-2014, 11:58 AM
      #4
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patty Stiller    
    A SLIGHT heel first landing is normal and desireable.You should barely be able to see a little "air" under the toe at the last second of the landing if You are standing in front of the horse as she is walked freely toward you.

    However if she is 'slapping' the heels down hard, it is usually a sign that either the horse is protecting the sore toes, or the heels are too tall.
    I can't say that I see her slapping the ground. The toe does kind of bounce up off the ground? I have her wall back pretty close to the white line, but when you do the 'mapping', it should still come back more. Does this mean I should leave it alone and bring it back slowly every couple of weeks maybe?
         
        05-19-2014, 12:08 PM
      #5
    Started
    Wow, just read this.....

    The Myth of the Heel-First Landing – Part 2 — Enlightened Equine

    So, heel first, is not necessarily a goal.....
         
        05-19-2014, 05:49 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    I
    Quote:
    can't say that I see her slapping the ground. The toe does kind of bounce up off the ground? I have her wall back pretty close to the white line, but when you do the 'mapping', it should still come back more. Does this mean I should leave it alone and bring it back slowly every couple of weeks maybe?
    The ELPO mapping is not intended for bringing the toe back to the breakover line from the front (from the hoof wall side) It is intended to map the correct anatomical place to put a ROLL or slight bevel across the bottom of the toe to allow an efficient breakover., don't 'mix and match' trim guidelines. With the exception of dressing flares off, taking the toe back from the front has no place in the ELPO guidelines. Please review the videos from Gene Ovnicek in the ELPO website on trimming and rasp the breakover at the toe the way he shows, if you are going to follow the ELPO mapping. BUT if you already took the hoof wall away too much where the breakover line mets the wall (the "pillars or toe corners) you may have to wait to rasp in the beak over bevel till you have some wall there. Otherwise you will make the horse sore.
    Oldhorselady and Rialto like this.
         
        05-19-2014, 11:04 PM
      #7
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patty Stiller    
    IThe ELPO mapping is not intended for bringing the toe back to the breakover line from the front (from the hoof wall side) It is intended to map the correct anatomical place to put a ROLL or slight bevel across the bottom of the toe to allow an efficient breakover., don't 'mix and match' trim guidelines. With the exception of dressing flares off, taking the toe back from the front has no place in the ELPO guidelines. Please review the videos from Gene Ovnicek in the ELPO website on trimming and rasp the breakover at the toe the way he shows, if you are going to follow the ELPO mapping. BUT if you already took the hoof wall away too much where the breakover line mets the wall (the "pillars or toe corners) you may have to wait to rasp in the beak over bevel till you have some wall there. Otherwise you will make the horse sore.

    Oh no.....maybe that is what happend??? Well, I guess I need time then....

    Too late, already brought the toe back today. Here is a picture. I also have a video of her walking so you an see her soreness.



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSqt0k5-rPg
         
        05-19-2014, 11:12 PM
      #8
    Started
    So, where do I go from here? Just let toe grow out and then only bevel at 45* when it does? Thanks for the help. My poor mare.
         
        05-20-2014, 04:10 AM
      #9
    Trained
    How to encourage a horse to build strong heels? Give him laminitis! (Very much tongue in cheek!) I'd say from that last pic, you're far & away from worrying about having 'backed up' too far
         
        05-20-2014, 04:15 AM
      #10
    Super Moderator
    They do look over trimmed, I would leave them alone and when sound work her to encourage self trimming so the horse can grow the hoof it actually needs.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    "Toe-first" instead of "heel first" landing katec1991 Horse Health 4 09-10-2013 02:33 PM
    Landing Heel-First Ne0n Zero Hoof Care 20 08-17-2013 01:24 PM
    Landing on the right lead Cheyennes mom Jumping 6 07-06-2012 06:47 PM
    And then there's the landing... gogirl46 Jumping 5 02-01-2010 11:59 PM
    How SHOULD you look when landing? Bubbles101 Jumping 9 09-30-2009 01:14 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0