Higher heel - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Higher heel

This is a discussion on Higher heel within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree15Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-23-2014, 11:00 AM
      #11
    Weanling
    And just an FYI I have never seen a heel that was still too forward that could not be lowered safely without invading TRUE sole. It generally means there is still dead sole in there that was not removed. And not ALL heels have to be ALL the way back to widest part of the frog line. If they are within 1/4" of that line as viewed from the sole side they are considered OK.
    Usually that is seen in hooves that are naturally extremely low angle with low pasterns as well. The back of the frog in those cases will offer plenty of proper bone support.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
      #12
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patty Stiller    
    And just an FYI I have never seen a heel that was still too forward that could not be lowered safely without invading TRUE sole. It generally means there is still dead sole in there that was not removed. And not ALL heels have to be ALL the way back to widest part of the frog line. If they are within 1/4" of that line as viewed from the sole side they are considered OK.
    Usually that is seen in hooves that are naturally extremely low angle with low pasterns as well. The back of the frog in those cases will offer plenty of proper bone support.
    Thanks for that Patty. I have had a friend of mine mentoring me in trimming. I have to take over my percheron mare's care because finding a farrier to trim her is getting to be pretty impossible....or at least one that will do it properly or without wanting shoes on her. I will now be taking over her trims.

    My mare has a hard time holding her feet up for long times and at high levels, especially her rt hind, which I believe she has some old injury aggrevating her.

    My concern is that when she was first taken out of shoes, that possibly, her heels were taken down too much at once? I'm not sure. She has extremely thin sole and flat feet. Her frog was protruding way above the sole too at that time. That was November.

    She was trimmed the other day. She had a bunch of sole exfoliate after we had some rain. I still wonder if her wall is taken too far down. Not sure.

    If her periople is growing down her hoof more in the back than the front, does that mean her heels are trying to grow down faster than the toe since they are too low?

    In the video you posted, I'm wondering, at the break over point....should you rasp away the toe callus there? Or does it not matter since the sole is distorted from having such a long toe?

    My mare would not be able to stand that long for me to map out her foot, at least at this point.
         
        02-27-2014, 08:57 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    

    My mare would not be able to stand that long for me to map out her foot, at least at this point.
    Would she stand on a chunk of styrafoam insulation for you? Just a 1ft x 1ft piece under the opposite foot. I have done this when trimming very sore or laminitic horses in the past, and it works quite well.
    loosie likes this.
         
        02-27-2014, 09:04 PM
      #14
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rialto    
    Would she stand on a chunk of styrafoam insulation for you? Just a 1ft x 1ft piece under the opposite foot. I have done this when trimming very sore or laminitic horses in the past, and it works quite well.
    I have her standing on rubber mats. She picks her feet right up, but puts them down a lot. Her rt hind is extremely hard to hold up....a few rasps at a time only.

    She just had an abscess rupture on that rt hind foot at the coronary band. Vet said xray showed some coffin bone deterioration and bone chips and maybe that her heel needs to be raised. Haven't seen them yet myself. She is supposed to get them to me tomorrow or Monday. She also has some possible old collateral ligament damage in there. That fetlock joint is pretty jiggly when you pick it up. She walks supinated on that foot.
         
        02-27-2014, 09:09 PM
      #15
    Started
    Here are a few pictures of her fronts. Only could do them since it took 3 hours. Will do the hinds after the rain stops....they take longer.

    That is why I have to take over her trimming. I can't expect someone else to spend all day trimming her. It's a huge job. Many breaks with margaritas in my future....lol.

    Here is where you can see the periople in the back growing down more than the front???

    http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps05ef22ed.jpg

    Front feet:

    http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...psf37a2218.jpg

    http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d6e8364.jpg
         
        02-27-2014, 11:22 PM
      #16
    Trained
    The periople thing tends to be like that on some breeds, esp heavies. From what you can tell from those angles, looks reasonable. I'd keep those toes well bevelled & the second pic above, the right hand toe quarter(looking at the pic) I'd bevel strongly to allow that distortion to grow out.
         
        02-28-2014, 04:18 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    I just loved looking thru all your pics! Beautiful horse and stable. Your horse looks well taken care of, and like Loosie said, I think those front feet look pretty good.
    Oldhorselady likes this.
         
        03-01-2014, 10:27 AM
      #18
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loosie    
    The periople thing tends to be like that on some breeds, esp heavies. From what you can tell from those angles, looks reasonable. I'd keep those toes well bevelled & the second pic above, the right hand toe quarter(looking at the pic) I'd bevel strongly to allow that distortion to grow out.
    Thanks for commenting on that foot Loosie! I was wondering what to do to even it up. :)
         
        03-08-2014, 07:42 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    The bigger periople is normal for a lot of horses. Her forefeet look pretty darn nice on the soles. Maybe take a little of the bar just where it is cracked and starting to fold over some.
    Here is how you MIGHT be able to do the tight hind, but being so big I don't know..I do a lot geriatric regular size horses this way:(and yes I drew the cartoon....)
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Copy of trim on foot.jpg (8.0 KB, 17 views)
    loosie likes this.
         
        03-08-2014, 07:48 PM
      #20
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patty Stiller    
    The bigger periople is normal for a lot of horses. Her forefeet look pretty darn nice on the soles. Maybe take a little of the bar just where it is cracked and starting to fold over some.
    Here is how you MIGHT be able to do the tight hind, but being so big I don't know..I do a lot geriatric regular size horses this way:(and yes I drew the cartoon....)
    Oh wow, I trim my older pony like that! Except I also kneel down because it's easier on my back. That position is a lot easier on his hips and he's a good boy about just resting it there.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Any progress? Getting Higher! sarahkgamble Horse Riding Critique 13 07-19-2012 05:10 PM
    Higher headset. amightytarzan5 Horse Training 9 04-22-2008 09:01 PM
    Higher Legues of Jumping We Control The Chaos Horse Training 2 01-21-2008 07:18 PM
    when can we jump higher blossom856 Horse Training 4 11-23-2007 05:11 PM
    jumping higher AdamJumper Horse Training 4 09-12-2007 08:26 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0