Hoof critique for Jasper - The Horse Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: stuck between a swamp and city
Posts: 1,386
• Horses: 0
Hoof critique for Jasper

I'm wondering what you guys think of these hooves. It's been about 3 weeks since the farrier came.
I recently got a rasp and put a bevel on his hooves 3 days ago. Is there anything more I should take off with the rasp? Are the bars too long?

P.S. I know he has some pretty bad thrush, I'm doing my best to get rid of it!

Front 1



Front 2.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. ~ Miles Kington
WhyAHorseOfCourse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: stuck between a swamp and city
Posts: 1,386
• Horses: 0
Hind hooves 1



Hind hooves 2

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. ~ Miles Kington
WhyAHorseOfCourse is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,317
• Horses: 2
In some of the pics I have a difficult time telling where the bars start and "end". Either way, the 3rd pic from the top - the left bar appears to be laying over a bit.
The hinds look better than the fronts to me.
You do not have a shot taken from the heels down. That would help to "round out" the pictures, I think. W/o that all I (a non expert) can say is the fronts appear to have to much heel on them, the walls appear to be higher than the sole in some areas - so maybe you got a little to enthusiastic w the rasp - or he has a lot of false sole. And the wall thickness seems different between the two (fronts) although that is likely due to the bevel and camera angle.
I don't really see a lot of thrush damage, so it must be on the run already. They look healthy over all and in general to me to the degree a sound trim would easily make them quite attractive.

Oops...I thought it was 3 weeks before they would be trimmed. I would say he didn't get the fronts trimmed well enough 3 weeks ago, but again...there is no "heels downward" picture.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.

Last edited by Missy May; 07-29-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Missy May is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,317
• Horses: 2
If it were me, and this is just non-expert me...I would get out my hoof knife and carefully remove the sole just from the seat of corn to see where the live sole "really" is on the heels of the fronts. It just looks likethey are a tad high, not "way" high. At least you would know for sure how high, if at all, they are.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,627
• Horses: 0
The toes look long on the first two pictures and I see flare and bars need trimming down.

This is the reason I do my own horses had farrier do daughters horse and not happy at all with job done.
spirit88 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: stuck between a swamp and city
Posts: 1,386
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
In some of the pics I have a difficult time telling where the bars start and "end". Either way, the 3rd pic from the top - the left bar appears to be laying over a bit.
The hinds look better than the fronts to me.
You do not have a shot taken from the heels down. That would help to "round out" the pictures, I think. W/o that all I (a non expert) can say is the fronts appear to have to much heel on them, the walls appear to be higher than the sole in some areas - so maybe you got a little to enthusiastic w the rasp - or he has a lot of false sole. And the wall thickness seems different between the two (fronts) although that is likely due to the bevel and camera angle.
I don't really see a lot of thrush damage, so it must be on the run already. They look healthy over all and in general to me to the degree a sound trim would easily make them quite attractive.

Oops...I thought it was 3 weeks before they would be trimmed. I would say he didn't get the fronts trimmed well enough 3 weeks ago, but again...there is no "heels downward" picture.
This is what one of his hind hooves looked like after the farrier trimmed it... I would assume that spot that is not touching the ground is what would have cause the uneven walls you are talking about...? Oh, and the farrier did trim off sole which appeared to be live(waxy), isn't that a "no no", or...?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. ~ Miles Kington
WhyAHorseOfCourse is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,317
• Horses: 2
No, those are the quarters and on even ground they don't normally make contact. I boo boo-ed, I meant the sole appears a tad higher than the walls in some spots on fronts. Ooops. But w/o a "heels downward" shot, it could easily not be the case as it is "2-D".

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: stuck between a swamp and city
Posts: 1,386
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
No, those are the quarters and on even ground they don't normally make contact. I boo boo-ed, I meant the sole appears a tad higher than the walls in some spots on fronts. Ooops. But w/o a "heels downward" shot, it could easily not be the case as it is "2-D".
Oh, ok, I'll get some when I go to the barn next time

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. ~ Miles Kington
WhyAHorseOfCourse is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sevierville, TN
Posts: 1,643
• Horses: 3
You do have retained sole and tall bars going on there around the frog. I would clean out the junk there personally. However, leaving the heels a bit high while you heal up that deep sulcus thrush and get the frogs in better shape is ok. Dropping the hors eon sore frogs isnt going to help but they should be slowly rasped down over the next few weeks as the frogs improve.

Married to my One! 10-11-13 Steampunk style:)
Trinity3205 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill Florida
Posts: 1,092
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
If it were me, and this is just non-expert me...I would get out my hoof knife and carefully remove the sole just from the seat of corn to see where the live sole "really" is on the heels of the fronts. It just looks likethey are a tad high, not "way" high. At least you would know for sure how high, if at all, they are.

Funny you should mention a "peak" . My friend's hooves were turning into pancakes that were wider than high (timely trims!). I've rolled the edges a bit and the hooves are staying together nice. I did take a peek and removed a tiny piece of sole at the seat of corn and the sole was quite thick. I'm not doing any more because she has a farrier.
She was quite upset about the "hole" I left. I told her I needed to see how thick, and I told her it retained dead sole and farrier should remove it. She's still kind of upset. I wrote down things for her to look up on the internet to see what I'm talking about. Never thanked me for removing the chips and some of the flare. Oh well!
princessfluffybritches is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conformation critique for Jasper WhyAHorseOfCourse Horse Conformation Critique 14 05-31-2013 04:46 PM
Critique Jasper! Theissyhunterjumper Horse Conformation Critique 2 03-08-2012 05:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome