Originally Posted by Mercedes
There's more to come off the heels, as well the heels are of different heights, but I think the biggest problem now is that your frog is not healthy. All the dead, crappy stuff needs to come off, the channel cleaned out, and let the whole length of the frog hit the ground to get blood flow going.
Well, Mercedes, you were quite right!
I was blinded by seeing the same thing every day and at this point in the game, I wasn't willing to experiment too much as I had made arrangements for a trimmer to come out. She finally made it this past week (I won't go into the details why) and showed me just how bad the thrush really was. There *was* indeed a pile of crap to come out and her feet look loads better. The lack of frog at the apex was due to the thrush damage.
The ridge around the frog was there to support the hoof because the frog was so bad
Ended up what I was doing at the point of the original post was barely maintaining the status quo with the thrush, if that, and never getting-it-gone.
Whew. I sure am glad to have finally had my trimmer out for the support. Once again, I learned from her. I had some of my instincts reinforced that for some reason I was second-guessing. All-in-all, we're back on track.