hoof mapping, is it correct ? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

hoof mapping, is it correct ?

This is a discussion on hoof mapping, is it correct ? within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Hoof mapping, so important
  • Commissure depth hoof

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-11-2012, 11:12 AM
  #11
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Okay, thanks. And when he was "exfoliating" is that typical of farriers?
Is it 'typical'? I honestly don't know what 'typical' is for 'most' farriers and am not sure anyone else does either.

I'm often asked, "how do you know how much material to remove from the horse's hoof?".

I usually answer, "I look at the hoof and remove everything that doesn't belong there".

Quote:
Does any damage come from digging out the sole to find the apex?
As with most things equine, the answer is "It depends". In many cases it's a generally benign method. In other cases, you'll find that the sole is very thin around the 'true' apex. Knife out too much and you'll hit blood.

Personally, I try to balance the foot around the center of articulation (COE) of the distal interphalangeal joint (DIPJ).

Quote:
Just trying to get a better understanding.
Me too.

Cheers,
Mark
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-11-2012, 12:27 PM
  #12
Foal
Q's about "true apex" and depth of sole

Is the "true apex" is that important so it's worthwhile risking BLOOD ?

Can one "guess" the sole depth just by looking at the commissures depth
In correlation to the general concavity of the hoof ?

Cheers,
Doron
     
    06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert country    
Is the "true apex" is that important so it's worthwhile risking BLOOD ?

Can one "guess" the sole depth just by looking at the commissures depth
In correlation to the general concavity of the hoof ?

Cheers,
Doron
To answer the question . 1.No

2.Most farriers develop a feel for knowing what the vertical depth is in MOST feet. This comes from continuing education and touching a lot of horses.
     
    06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
  #14
Yearling
I'm starting to like this "Cotton" guy.

To add to the subject of how much to trim, it's like carving a wooden Indian. You just cut out everything that doesn't look like an Indian.

But with hooves, don't trim too much of the Indian, cause he'll bleed and that's called surgery. When I see blood, I get weak and shaky and git the "high-speed wobbles" and pass out :)
loosie likes this.
     
    06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
  #15
Trained
I think 'hoof mapping' is a handy thing to understand, but as with every 'recipe' or 'method', it's a model, not something to follow blindly without considerations for the whys & wherefores.... & potential why nots.

From memory, I think the cleaning away of all dead sole, cleaning out to find the true frog apex, etc is something they advise only to do in order to more accurately 'map' the foot, not something they advise at every trim. Certainly IME you've gone a fair bit too far if you hit blood
kitten_Val likes this.
     
    06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  #16
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman56    
Personally, I try to balance the foot around the center of articulation (COE) of the distal interphalangeal joint (DIPJ).
Is that not the whole point of it? To find that point by 'mapping' the 'landmarks' on the outside of the capsule?
     
    06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
  #17
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman56    
Is it 'typical'? I honestly don't know what 'typical' is for 'most' farriers and am not sure anyone else does either.

I'm often asked, "how do you know how much material to remove from the horse's hoof?".

I usually answer, "I look at the hoof and remove everything that doesn't belong there".
That makes sense, and makes me glad I'm not in charge of trimming my horse's feet. I'd need a lot more education.

Thanks for answering all of my questions :)
     
    06-11-2012, 08:36 PM
  #18
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
I'm starting to like this "Cotton" guy.
Yep, seems the real deal.

Quote:
But with hooves, don't trim too much of the Indian, cause he'll bleed and that's called surgery. When I see blood, I get weak and shaky and git the "high-speed wobbles" and pass out :)
Hah! With that attitude you'll never earn the coveted SCHB* credential!

Cheers,
Mark


* Strasser Certified Hoof Butcher
AmazinCaucasian likes this.
     
    06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Is that not the whole point of it? To find that point by 'mapping' the 'landmarks' on the outside of the capsule?
No ! The whole point of mapping is the application to the foot of what you have learned from the mapping .
     
    06-12-2012, 02:32 AM
  #20
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton    
No ! The whole point of mapping is the application to the foot of what you have learned from the mapping .
Sorry, I don't get what you mean. What is it that's learned from mapping then? Haven't looked into it for ages, so...
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mapping web site gunslinger Trail Riding 4 03-12-2012 10:22 PM
Hoof Trimming- Correct Toeing Out or Not? aspin231 Hoof Care 11 11-02-2011 07:20 PM
Calling all hoof experts. Loosie? Ricci's hoof saga. riccil0ve Hoof Care 151 07-21-2011 04:16 AM
Hoof issue: Just tell me if im correct Pidge Hoof Care 5 02-09-2010 12:30 AM
New Farrier after 10 years.... Is hoof correct BLAZERIVERSONG Hoof Care 11 12-07-2009 11:42 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0