Thank you Walkingthewalk for posting this for me while I was waiting to be approved to join this forum. Thank you also to all of you that have offered your advice, and shared your information.
I understand totally about the bute being a "Catch 22". The vet said to give it to him twice daily for 7 days, then try cutting him back to see how he does. As soon as I skipped the morning dose (as per the vet's recommendation), he seemed to be in a fair bit more pain, so I gave him a dose of banamine. Then I thought it might be best to try to reduce the bute in a different way, by cutting back the amount at each dose, but keeping it at twice daily, to help keep it in his system more evenly. I have taken him from 1 tablespoon to one teaspoon twice daily, and am hoping that he'll be OK with that. I did buy a box of Ulcerguard but it just arrived today. I will give him some to help coat his tummy. I am also thinking I should get him some Probiotics, to ensure the bute does not kill all the good bacteria in his stomach. The delay in everything is due to my being in a fairly remote area, so no local places to shop for horse supplies and such. I have to rely on shopping online in many cases.
Trinity3205, thank you very much for that "mapping". I have never seen nor heard of anything like that before...very interesting, and I will be sure to share this with my new farrier. She will be here to see him next Wednesday (24th). It was her earliest opening. I am VERY grateful that she has offered to take us on as new clients.
The vet will be here the weekend of May 4th to get the xrays done. I have no idea if these are digital or how long it takes to get results, as I have never had xrays done on a horse before...it's all new to me. I am also having him, at the same time, draw blood to tesy for insulin, eACTH and a full CBC panel. This should help answer some questions and get us onto the right path, knowing for sure then, exactly what metabolic disorder we need to be treating for. I am also going to be sending samples of our hay in for testing, as was advised to me by a local equine nutritionist. It's all coming together...slowly, but it's better than I had a week ago. I know and understand that time is of the essence, and that this is clearly an emergency situation, but I really am doing the best I can for the area we live in, and the lack of services available to us.
I also have another FAT mare that I need to put on the same "diet"/change of lifestyle as I am doing for Whitey, and I am having all the same bloodwork done on her as well when the vet comes. Hopefully we can get her on the straight and narrow before she ends up in the same boat as Whitey. (I also ordered two grazing muzzles for them to wear this summer, even though we have very poor pastures and they don't get much from it.
I have so much to learn and a neverending supply of web sites and information to read. If you have any questions you need to ask of me, please feel free.
I thank you all again, so very much! Mona
EDITED TO ADD: I am wondering on what your thoughts/experiences are on a hoof hardener product known as Keratex? I've heard WONDERFUL things about this product. A little goes a long way and it apparently really works to help harden soles so horses won't be so tenderfooted. (healthy soles, not just laminitis cases)
Last edited by lcminis; 04-19-2013 at 02:37 AM.