how to ask my farrier to trim a little more aggressively? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
Yes your entire post seems a bit contradictory,
" I love her and she does a great job"

"she's doing it all wrong"

well which is it ?
jaydee likes this.
Joe4d is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,198
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Is the woman actually qualified as a farrier or is she a a barefoot trimmer who has done a short course - you can even do them online apparently.
Its nice to get on with your farrier but its more important that they are doing a good job and sounds to me like this one isn't
If you're not happy find a replacement.
Its not your job to be telling your farrier what to do - thats why you pay a professional - for their knowledge and expertise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
Yes your entire post seems a bit contradictory,
" I love her and she does a great job"

"she's doing it all wrong"

well which is it ?
You got me, she's a barefoot trimmer. I know all the drama that comes associated with saying you use a barefoot trimmer so I try to avoid saying that to avoid said drama in my post.
She is very knowledgable, and she does do a good job and I never said "she's doing it all wrong" I've just noticed(as well as my barn manager) that it looks like she could take her toes back a little more. I think she is just being overly cautious about not taking them too short. I would like to address that with her without her thinking that I'm being a know-it-all. I don't want to tell her how to do her job.
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
If you aren't confident in your farrier's work - then you need a new farrier.

My farrier is able to explain the mechanics of every trim to me, how he is shoeing, etc.. If anyone ever questions his work on my horse I can explain to them exactly what he is doing and why. If your friends are asking you about a long toe and you don't know the reason for it then ask your farrier and if you don't get an explanation, call someone else.
I do also agree that a lot of horses need a shorter trim cycle than they are allotted. My horses are on a 4-5 week schedule year round. This might be another thing to discuss with your farrier and your new farrier.
beau159 and jaydee like this.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,198
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
If you aren't confident in your farrier's work - then you need a new farrier.

My farrier is able to explain the mechanics of every trim to me, how he is shoeing, etc.. If anyone ever questions his work on my horse I can explain to them exactly what he is doing and why. If your friends are asking you about a long toe and you don't know the reason for it then ask your farrier and if you don't get an explanation, call someone else.
I do also agree that a lot of horses need a shorter trim cycle than they are allotted. My horses are on a 4-5 week schedule year round. This might be another thing to discuss with your farrier and your new farrier.
I never asked her about it, I'm sure if I did she would give me an answer. When she was out last time I expressed my concern about all the chipping and she explained that chipping was not necessarily a bad thing because it's the hoof self trimming. When she was at my house my old farrier(yes farrier as in he does shoes as well) had her and my other 2 horses on an 8 week schedule and said that wasn't too long for them(I still use him for my other 2 and they are still on an 8 week schedule) when I moved her to a boarding barn it was too far for him to travel for one horse so I used the barn farrier who made my horse lame for 4 months. I went on a search for someone to trim my horse and found the barefoot trimmer I'm currently using. At first she was on a 4 week schedule but we bumped it back to a 6, partly because of cost and partly because at 4 weeks there wasn't much to take off, because of my work schedule I can't do a 5 week(I have off every other Friday and work the rest of the week) I've since moved my horse to yet another barn, this barn uses the same farrier that I use for my other horses so I do have a relationship with an actual farrier should I even have a need for shoes(but I highly doubt it, non of my horses have ever needed shoes, my appy came with all 4 shod and I had his pulled and he goes fine barefoot even on gravel).
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,664
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLdyCop View Post
Aside from sole support, how is that opposite from what I've done.
You said "There are some factors that inhibit shortening the toe on a barefoot horse. Thin soled, short foot height wise, etc.

An example...... This horse would be sore if the toe was trimmed back to the white line in an effort to "shorten" the toe."

And looking again, I suppose it depends where exactly you mean 'white line'(assuming stretched/lamellar wedge), but I don't find it to be the case, if the horse is backed/bevelled to the edge of the epidermal laminae.
loosie is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,664
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
If you aren't confident in your farrier's work - then you need a new farrier.
I think that's a bit harsh, especially as so many owners know little & many care less about the details, so long as their horse is sound, keeping shoes on, etc. But I agree thoroughly with your next comments. I think owner education is so important & I do think that should be one of the responsibilities of a good trimmer/farrier.
loosie is online now  
post #17 of 26 Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Citronelle, AL
Posts: 52
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
You said "There are some factors that inhibit shortening the toe on a barefoot horse. Thin soled, short foot height wise, etc.

An example...... This horse would be sore if the toe was trimmed back to the white line in an effort to "shorten" the toe."

And looking again, I suppose it depends where exactly you mean 'white line'(assuming stretched/lamellar wedge), but I don't find it to be the case, if the horse is backed/bevelled to the edge of the epidermal laminae.
White line was solid no distortion. I've found out the hard way (at the owner's request) on horses' like this with a tight white line but stretched out sole/toe that you can't do that. If the horse had more sole depth it'd not be as much of an issue. It's specifically this combination of thin soled and stretched that makes it near impossible to rehab barefoot. Maybe if more were willing to put the horse on a 2 week cycle it might could be acheived. Minor changes each setting to keep the foot gathered.

Dr. House "You were right, Counts for nothing if you can't defend it."
MPLdyCop is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,664
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLdyCop View Post
with a tight white line but stretched out sole/toe
I don't know about a tight white line but stretched 'sole'. What is often the case IME though is that lamellar material is mistaken for sole. Absolutely though, I agree that a foot shouldn't be backed that far if there's a genuinely tight white line(including dermal laminae) though.
loosie is online now  
post #19 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 22,509
• Horses: 3
Hoof work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1786 View Post
You got me, she's a barefoot trimmer. I know all the drama that comes associated with saying you use a barefoot trimmer so I try to avoid saying that to avoid said drama in my post.
She is very knowledgable, and she does do a good job and I never said "she's doing it all wrong" I've just noticed(as well as my barn manager) that it looks like she could take her toes back a little more. I think she is just being overly cautious about not taking them too short. I would like to address that with her without her thinking that I'm being a know-it-all. I don't want to tell her how to do her job.
I do understand what you mean here but there's a good reason people are sceptical about 'barefoot trimmers' - its because a lot of them are poorly trained - if even trained at all. I have no problem with a horse being barefoot if its sound and able to cope with all the work it has to do but having a good shaped hoof is just as important as if it was being shod. My farrier is properly qualified, he will put shoes on or barefoot trim. He discusses everything with me so I understand why he's doing anything different. I think its a real shame that the people who are going around claiming to be trimmers are giving the ones who are qualified to do the job a bad name. I was not referring to your lady here - she may have a good reason to be doing what she;s doing. My concern with long toes is that not only could they be putting a strain on the hoof itself they could also be affecting the angle of stance and putting a strain on her tendons and joints
Maybe you could post some photos?
jaydee is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Citronelle, AL
Posts: 52
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
I don't know about a tight white line but stretched 'sole'. What is often the case IME though is that lamellar material is mistaken for sole. Absolutely though, I agree that a foot shouldn't be backed that far if there's a genuinely tight white line(including dermal laminae) though.
LOL, I am not mistaking the laminar material for sole. The hoof is literally stretched out from the point of the frog, sole and all. In the ones I've found like this it took shoes to actually get the foot gathered back up. And it would become better balanced and gathered up.

Dr. House "You were right, Counts for nothing if you can't defend it."
MPLdyCop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the difference between a barefoot trim & a farrier trim? flytobecat Horse Health 20 10-12-2013 05:04 PM
Natural barefoot trim vs. Reg bareft trim?? free_sprtd Horse Health 9 12-28-2012 05:35 PM
BO authorized different farrier to trim horse who had been trimmed 3 weeks ago..... Kymbadina Horse Health 9 10-03-2011 10:10 PM
Hoof care, self trim V no trim Golden Horse Hoof Care 39 07-20-2011 07:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome