Just went barefoot- Now chipping. - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Just went barefoot- Now chipping.

This is a discussion on Just went barefoot- Now chipping. within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Deshod nail chip
  • Quick horse trim

Like Tree8Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
  #31
Green Broke
When I refer to a "pasture trim" I am not meaning some half assed trimming job.

I am not arguing that some farriers are making a killing doing a crappy job and calling it that. But for us it is important that it is done right. In the winter when we pull the shoes off of the ranch horses we put a "pasture trim" on them. We still use them through the winter so its important that it's done right otherwise in the packed snow and ice there won't be much hoof left. No different than riding through the rock piles.

Some cowboys I know buy the Borium and make their own ice shoes or put in frost nails. This can be spendy. But if, what I call, a "pasture trim" is done correctly, it's great and I don't have to spend 20 minutes every morning chipping ice out of shoes.

Also if I find after pulling shoes a horse is sore I am not scared to put a little Venice Turpintine on his soles for a couple of days. If he don't improve then the shoes go back on. I am not going to make one tough it out for too long.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-17-2011, 01:11 AM
  #32
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseant    
Just wanted to add some details to clear up some misconceptions.
Yeah, actually if I had a rocky, sparsly grassed, preferrably hilly environment to keep my horses, that's what I'd choose actually. But to put a newly deshod or poor footed horse in that environment without consideration of his needs is a problem. From the sound of it, there was no misconception on my part except possibly for the state his feet were in when deshod. You have now explained twice that it was indeed months, albeit only two, but as I said, days is bad enough. The horse was deshod and not adequately managed, just left to cope with his lameness as best he could and it sounds like you have little knowledge of hooves & their health & function. Whether or not the 'BO'(body odour??) put the horse where you wanted it or not, you are still responsible for it's care & wellbeing.

**I am not trying to give you a guilt trip - I can well understand owner ignorance. After all, if there's no decent 'expert' willing to share, how can they know? Most of us came from there at one point or other I reckon. I'm sure you, as I believe of the vast majority of us, want the best for your horses & did the best you could with the knowledge you had at the time. But this is a serious illustration of how important it is for owners to actually learn the principles & factors for themselves & not just trust blindly to whatever 'expert' may be at hand. On that note, you might find the link to the other thread in my signature helpful.
     
    11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
  #33
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
When I refer to a "pasture trim" I am not meaning some half assed trimming job.

I am not arguing that some farriers are making a killing doing a crappy job and calling it that. But for us it is important that it is done right. In the winter when we pull the shoes off of the ranch horses we put a "pasture trim" on them. We still use them through the winter so its important that it's done right otherwise in the packed snow and ice there won't be much hoof left. No different than riding through the rock piles.

Some cowboys I know buy the Borium and make their own ice shoes or put in frost nails. This can be spendy. But if, what I call, a "pasture trim" is done correctly, it's great and I don't have to spend 20 minutes every morning chipping ice out of shoes.

Also if I find after pulling shoes a horse is sore I am not scared to put a little Venice Turpintine on his soles for a couple of days. If he don't improve then the shoes go back on. I am not going to make one tough it out for too long.
Ranch horses have a job to do all year long. Where I am from, and in my personal world, they go on R&R for the most part, so I can see where my "pasture trim" comment might have caused you a bit of grief

Everywhere I have lived, a pasture trim is a quick trim to send the horse out to pasture for winter R&R. In defense of the shoers in every place I've lived, they all asked what the horse was going to be doing for the winter before they started knipping away.

The Shoers I had did not do a shoddy pasture trim, they did the same trim as if they were putting shoes on the horse, except the toes were shorter and the heels lowered more. It was "chop-chop" quick so they could be on to the next shoe removal. Nobody sored up or chipped but nothing to go "WOW!" about

I am glad you posted and am sorry if my comments offended your ranch pasture trimming methods, that I wasn't even aware of. There's always something new to learn
     
    11-17-2011, 08:03 AM
  #34
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
The horse was deshod and not adequately managed, just left to cope with his lameness as best he could and it sounds like you have little knowledge of hooves & their health & function. Whether or not the 'BO'(body odour??) put the horse where you wanted it or not, you are still responsible for it's care & wellbeing.

Not trying to defend my ignorance or poor horse care that you have implied, and which I think is unfounded and high handed....BUT despite arguing with the BO repeatedly about the conditions of both paddock and indoor arena, he was not inclined to change the conditions to suit us and told us so. Our relationship with said BO went extremely sour due to horses not having water, the barbed wire fencing and the refusal to put our boy on what he called his "summer pasture"....so we left as soon as a space opened up at Epona's farm. BO was so antagonistic and rude after what he saw as our grumblings and unfounded fault finding, we feared for the horse's safety and left without giving him more than a 15 minutes notice and the last month's board to cover the required 30 day termination notice.

So, I am not sure what else you think we should or could have done, but it is not my barn nor my rules....sometimes we boarders have to bide our time and go with the rules of the BO, whether we agree or not, until arrangements can be made to move our horses elsewhere.

That's the reality.

Sorry if you don't like it. Neither do it. But it is what it is.

BTW, my father (who has passed 10 yrs ago last month) was a farrier, so while I am not knowledgeable enough to trim my horses myself, I DO know the importance of and basic hoof workings. But thanks for supposing I don't know my horses' hoof from their knees...lol

I did not ask that this OTTBs shoes be pulled in the dead of winter, in case you missed that part of my post. When he was delivered to us, they were off. Not sure why seller did so without our requesting it..
     
    11-17-2011, 10:16 AM
  #35
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    
Ranch horses have a job to do all year long. Where I am from, and in my personal world, they go on R&R for the most part, so I can see where my "pasture trim" comment might have caused you a bit of grief

Everywhere I have lived, a pasture trim is a quick trim to send the horse out to pasture for winter R&R. In defense of the shoers in every place I've lived, they all asked what the horse was going to be doing for the winter before they started knipping away.

The Shoers I had did not do a shoddy pasture trim, they did the same trim as if they were putting shoes on the horse, except the toes were shorter and the heels lowered more. It was "chop-chop" quick so they could be on to the next shoe removal. Nobody sored up or chipped but nothing to go "WOW!" about

I am glad you posted and am sorry if my comments offended your ranch pasture trimming methods, that I wasn't even aware of. There's always something new to learn
LOL I think I was a little confused. It sounds like we are basically talking about the same thing but different uses. I just learned a little too. Perhaps I shouldn't call it a "pasture trim"...maybe more like the "winter-time ranch horse trim".
     
    11-17-2011, 07:04 PM
  #36
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseant    
So, I am not sure what else you think we should or could have done,
Protected your horses feet when/where necessary.
     
    11-17-2011, 07:10 PM
  #37
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseant    
I did not ask that this OTTBs shoes be pulled in the dead of winter, in case you missed that part of my post. When he was delivered to us, they were off. Not sure why seller did so without our requesting it..
That is pretty weird. Why would anyone make such a dramatic change to a horse they no longer were responsible for? Guess what loosie and some of us are saying, is, if the horse is in obvious pain, steps should be taken to alleviate it.
loosie likes this.
     
    11-18-2011, 12:12 AM
  #38
Foal
Beauseant, I hear where you're coming from, and it sounds like you did the best you could with the information and knowledge you had. Something to think about in future if you decide to transition a horse from being shod to barefoot, is using horse boots. They go on the hooves more like shoes on our feet rather than being nailed on. There are many benefits to using boots. I would encourage you to look into them :)
loosie likes this.
     
    11-18-2011, 03:50 AM
  #39
Foal
The farrier came out today! He is one knowledgable farrier! And not just in hoof care. He said Merlin's feet were actually pretty good for a thoroughbred, although they are a tiny bit on the flat side. I didn't ask about the 'mustang roll' or bevel because I thought I would just let him do his feet and see how they went...perhaps next time I will ask, if the chipping/peeling happens again. Ill take some photos of his trimmed feet to put up.
Oh and for anyone that has read my other threads, he did a check on Merlin's fetlock and said that it was probably just an old injury from the track that has calcified, and he should be alright for riding. Also, he applied some copper sulfate on his proud flesh and bandaged it...Lets hope all that icky stuff is gone when the bandage comes off. Tomorrow, I'm off to get some Manuka Honey to put on it afterwards.
I definitely think this farrier is worth his weight in gold.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toe Chipping and Breaking; Does She Need Shoes? Brighteyes Horse Health 6 03-03-2011 10:10 PM
Barefoot trimming for already barefoot horses? Crimsonhorse01 Horse Health 6 12-07-2009 06:09 PM
What made those who are barefoot decide to go barefoot??? HalfPass Horse Health 14 06-22-2009 10:55 AM
How much can YOU do barefoot? Ne0n Zero Trail Riding 40 06-19-2009 09:08 PM
Barefoot in MN? MN Tigerstripes Horse Health 6 03-18-2009 10:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0