Lazy horse. Dragging toe.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Lazy horse. Dragging toe.

This is a discussion on Lazy horse. Dragging toe. within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Horse short stepping toe dragging
  • Shoeing horses that drag toes

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-27-2013, 12:08 AM
  #1
Started
Lazy horse. Dragging toe.

Well I just throw some pictures out there...




Been barefoot since the day he was born, never made a lame step, I see the flare, and am workin on that.

My question, how he wears down the toe, what can I do to help bring the flare in to match. Other then the obvious, consistent trimming.

He is super lazy at a walk when in the pasture, hence the toe wear. He does NOT drag toe when under saddle or even in hand. Just when he's, well, being lazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-27-2013, 12:12 AM
  #2
Started
If you look at the second picture, you can see the right rear is actually worn backwards.

I hadn't intended to mention that, but since the pic shows it, lets look at that too
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-27-2013, 12:16 AM
  #3
Banned
Look at those heels!! Looks like his toes are just long- he should quit after you remove the flare.

Would be nice to see a picture after the hoof being picked out. lol.
     
    05-27-2013, 12:28 AM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
Look at those heels!! Looks like his toes are just long- he should quit after you remove the flare.

Would be nice to see a picture after the hoof being picked out. lol.
Yeah I know. Just decided to take pics today after I cut him loose. Shoulda seen me tryin to get my phone out of my back pocket while I had his leg up....

Monkey, meet football.
Posted via Mobile Device
aforred, EvilHorseOfDoom and toto like this.
     
    05-27-2013, 12:32 AM
  #5
Banned
deja vu just hit me like a ton of bricks!

He's got some nice lookin feet though! You trim them yourself?
     
    05-27-2013, 12:46 AM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
deja vu just hit me like a ton of bricks!

He's got some nice lookin feet though! You trim them yourself?
I sadly don't. I can, I know how, and I have. But.....

I don't feel sure of myself enough to do it unsupervised.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-27-2013, 01:35 AM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phly    
I sadly don't. I can, I know how, and I have. But.....

I don't feel sure of myself enough to do it unsupervised.
Posted via Mobile Device
i know that feeling well- it really helped me to read as much as I could about the hoof capsule and all- I always thought I was trimming too short but turns out I was trimmin too long, lol.

Black feet are the easiest to read and your horse has rockin feet too!
EmilyJoy likes this.
     
    05-27-2013, 01:38 AM
  #8
Weanling
I haven't read through the comments but I had a horse that did this same thing.

We had him checked for stifle and he was cleared of anything being wrong.
The shoer ended up crafting him a special shoe @ the school near here. It basically was a regular shoe with small plate welded onto the toe, with growing room. He looked quite the franken-horse. The idea was the extra weight + extra length beyond his toe would teach him to pick his foot up like he should.
Unfortunately, he ended up passing away after only his 2nd shoeing with that shoe of a freak accident, so I can't tell you if it ended up working as planned or not. His toe was growing out from not being able to drag it directly anymore. I still have the shoe if you are interested in seeing it.

Edit: I just re-read your post and it seems that you are asking for specific ways to trim. I think I misunderstood and thought you were just asking what you can do about the problem in general. Sorry. I'll also add that my gelding that was doing this was wearing his hoof down very badly, otherwise he would have remained barefoot.
     
    05-27-2013, 01:46 AM
  #9
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
i know that feeling well- it really helped me to read as much as I could about the hoof capsule and all- I always thought I was trimming too short but turns out I was trimmin too long, lol.

Black feet are the easiest to read and your horse has rockin feet too!
Thank you, believe it or not I've heard that he's piss footed from a lotta folks. Only ones who liked his feet is the guy who showed me how to trim and the gal who's been doing them, as I watch like a kid watching jiffy pop.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-27-2013, 01:50 AM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawneen    
I haven't read through the comments but I had a horse that did this same thing.

We had him checked for stifle and he was cleared of anything being wrong.
The shoer ended up crafting him a special shoe @ the school near here. It basically was a regular shoe with small plate welded onto the toe, with growing room. He looked quite the franken-horse. The idea was the extra weight + extra length beyond his toe would teach him to pick his foot up like he should.
Unfortunately, he ended up passing away after only his 2nd shoeing with that shoe of a freak accident, so I can't tell you if it ended up working as planned or not. His toe was growing out from not being able to drag it directly anymore. I still have the shoe if you are interested in seeing it.

Edit: I just re-read your post and it seems that you are asking for specific ways to trim. I think I misunderstood and thought you were just asking what you can do about the problem in general. Sorry. I'll also add that my gelding that was doing this was wearing his hoof down very badly, otherwise he would have remained barefoot.
Thanks, either way, I'd like to see the shoes. We are all here to learn and you have knowledge. Feel free to share

Sorry to here ya lost one too soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TOE DRAGGING, a dig in spine? NO RIDING EVER? m00nisek Horse Health 86 12-05-2013 04:08 AM
Could hip out of alignment be the culprit for toe dragging? DressageIsToDance Horse Health 7 03-01-2011 01:54 AM
Toe dragging mare. Agh! DressageIsToDance Horse Health 4 02-22-2011 01:41 AM
Toe dragging: Immediate help and long term help. DressageIsToDance Horse Health 4 01-24-2011 09:40 PM
lazy lazy horse! jeezitsjacki Horse Training 8 08-21-2008 12:52 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0