Let's see your work - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Let's see your work

This is a discussion on Let's see your work within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Stress rings in horses hooves
  • Pictures of healthy back barefoot hooves

Like Tree63Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-03-2012, 09:40 AM
  #21
Foal
Subscribing :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  #22
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
You should braid yer horses foothair

I'll try to git some photos this weekend. I gotta shoe mine
He front feet have even more/longer hair, but since these were shots of the feathering the front didn't show the foot. Always getting in when picking or trimming her feet. Leg warmers work if you ever had to deal with holding it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-02_14-44-31_576 - Copy.jpg (40.9 KB, 250 views)
     
    03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
  #23
Banned
Oh, I have one to share!! Afraid it's only one though, I don't often carry a camera when I bring out the rasp and nippers LOL.



Back hoof barefoot trim :) Of course if anyone has critique I'm all ears. Looking forward to following this thread, hoping to learn a few new things.
     
    03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
  #24
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
Everyone is telling and no one is showing for "show and tell"
Well, mine are always unshod, and I usually can't take full credit for their "trims" since the road does a lot of it for me under normal conditions. I just check them when I clean them each day. Most of what I do is maybe cut a bar down a little or cut off any loose frog. But there are times when a trim is needed, even if it's not to often. Ends up looking the same whether I do it or the road does.

Don't have any pictures taken to "show my work" , but I have some taken for someone who wanted to see how their feathering was growing in (a friend, not someone on this forum). I cropped it to show the hoof for here. If I remember I can take one of the bottom tomorrow. Since I'm not going to trim her any time soon, because she doesn't need it, I'll show what her feet look like normally.

I just have to say that is a beautiful hoof. I hope my horses hooves look like that one day.
     
    03-04-2012, 12:15 AM
  #25
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtc06    
I just have to say that is a beautiful hoof. I hope my horses hooves look like that one day.
Thank you. Took months to get them looking this way (about 5 or 6). She'd been shod before I bought her and had stress rings, a longer toe and some thrush, but none of it was terrible. She wasn't suppose be able to deal with being unshod (to painful for her....but I've heard that song way to many times before). It takes some time, but they get use to the better blood flow and it stops hurting (natural trimming is easier to do than shoeing anyway ) and now you'd never know she ever saw a shoe
     
    03-04-2012, 09:38 AM
  #26
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
Thank you. Took months to get them looking this way (about 5 or 6). She'd been shod before I bought her and had stress rings, a longer toe and some thrush, but none of it was terrible. She wasn't suppose be able to deal with being unshod (to painful for her....but I've heard that song way to many times before). It takes some time, but they get use to the better blood flow and it stops hurting (natural trimming is easier to do than shoeing anyway ) and now you'd never know she ever saw a shoe
I have no words for how remedial that is
     
    03-04-2012, 09:41 AM
  #27
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
I have no words for how remedial that is
I agree. I'd much rather have a barefoot horse than a shod one if I can get away with it.
     
    03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
  #28
Yearling
No, there is a lack of understanding and education here. The knowledge of some of the readers on here is coming from YouTube videos and barefoot promoters. Let me clear up some myths about shoeing:


1. Shoeing DOES NOT cause stress rings

2. Shoeing Does NOT constrict blood flow

3. Shoeing DOES NOT make horses sore or uncomfortable

4. Shoeing DOES NOT make walls brittle, cause cracks, low heels, club footedness, etc.

Shoeing DOES effectively treat all the above. That's the purpose of it: PROTECTION AND CORRECTION. Most of what we know about farriery was known 100 years ago, and random posters and YouTube barefoot activists on the internet are not farriers. They have little or no experience with shoeing. If you want to continue soaking up information from random sources, be my guest.

SkyeDawn, I was not disagreeing with you. I agree if you don't need shoes, no need to have them.
smrobs and Susan Crumrine like this.
     
    03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
  #29
Super Moderator
Subbing to learn
     
    03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
  #30
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
No, there is a lack of understanding and education here. The knowledge of some of the readers on here is coming from YouTube videos and barefoot promoters. Let me clear up some myths about shoeing:


1. Shoeing DOES NOT cause stress rings

2. Shoeing Does NOT constrict blood flow

3. Shoeing DOES NOT make horses sore or uncomfortable

4. Shoeing DOES NOT make walls brittle, cause cracks, low heels, club footedness, etc.

Shoeing DOES effectively treat all the above. That's the purpose of it: PROTECTION AND CORRECTION. Most of what we know about farriery was known 100 years ago, and random posters and YouTube barefoot activists on the internet are not farriers. They have little or no experience with shoeing. If you want to continue soaking up information from random sources, be my guest.

SkyeDawn, I was not disagreeing with you. I agree if you don't need shoes, no need to have them.
I thought this was a thread about showing off your hoof work? Why are we opinion bashing?
I don't personally have my horse shod, and I don't agree with it for several reasons, all of which are medically valid. However, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the hardwork and craftsmanship that goes into blacksmithing and shoeing. Keep the pictures comin, folks!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seriously-- her work is FAB!!!!!! oconley Horse Artwork 7 04-19-2011 12:57 PM
work, work, work! Poor pony :( justsambam08 Horse Pictures 6 04-18-2010 02:07 AM
Making the right choice? School work/Work? Help! SonnyWimps General Off Topic Discussion 20 11-05-2008 12:21 PM
haflinger to trainer ground work or saddle work????? carriegeorge100 Horse Training 3 05-10-2007 02:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0