Neat Hoof Video
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Neat Hoof Video

This is a discussion on Neat Hoof Video within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Neat hoof
  • Cool video of horse feet

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Neat Hoof Video

I found this on You-tube and thought it was pretty interesting:

     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
  #2
Showing
I don't know what I'm watching, but I'm glad I had dinner...
     
    01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
I don't know what I'm watching, but I'm glad I had dinner...
Ha ha! Yeah, the blood squishing out is a little gross.

It's supposed to to show how the entire bottom of the hoof bares weight when the horse is barefoot. And the coffin bone is made to function in a weight-baring fashion.

When enough force is applied to a shod hoof, there is no support for the coffin bone and it actually fractures the bone.

I don't know how scientific it is, but it is pretty dramatic and it does show how the sole and frog support the coffin bone in a bare hoof.

Maybe I'm strange, but I think horse feet and how they function are a beautiful thing.
     
    01-31-2012, 09:43 PM
  #4
Trained
Can't watch it. Had pizza for dinner! I'll take your word for it about the shock impact of the shod hoof.
     
    01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Mmmmm. Pepperoni.
     
    01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
  #6
Banned
Oh you guys, didn't you ever watch CSI while eating chili growing up?

Cool video! Thanks for sharing.
     
    01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
  #7
Trained
I did see the other videos of "exterior" feet where the shod and unshod hooves were pushed with the vice showing how the heel bulbs expand and absorb the pressure on the unshod hoof while the shod one hits a wall each time. I'm guessing the digital cushion is the actual shock absorbing mechanism, but again, just can't watch the icky stuff.
     
    01-31-2012, 09:53 PM
  #8
Trained
I wonder how many hooves it took before they finally figured out how to place the shoe so that the coffin bone broke. I wonder what would happen if the shoe was placed properly and shaped correctly and nailed to the hoof.
     
    01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
  #9
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
Ha ha! Yeah, the blood squishing out is a little gross.

It's supposed to to show how the entire bottom of the hoof bares weight when the horse is barefoot. And the coffin bone is made to function in a weight-baring fashion.

When enough force is applied to a shod hoof, there is no support for the coffin bone and it actually fractures the bone.

I don't know how scientific it is, but it is pretty dramatic and it does show how the sole and frog support the coffin bone in a bare hoof.

Maybe I'm strange, but I think horse feet and how they function are a beautiful thing.
Man.. yeah I always cringe watching slow motion videos of horse's feet. It's cool how they flex and absorb the shock but seeing all the horse's weight baring down on one leg.. it kind of freaks me out. Like it seems painful but of course it isn't.

But that video was a bit much xP
     
    01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
I wonder how many hooves it took before they finally figured out how to place the shoe so that the coffin bone broke. I wonder what would happen if the shoe was placed properly and shaped correctly and nailed to the hoof.
I don't know. That's why I said I didn't know how "scientific" it was.

I have actually never heard of a shod horse breaking a coffin bone (due to being shod anyway). If there was a correlation I'm sure the world would have known about it before now.

But I DO think it shows how the whole bottom of the hoof functions to bare weight when the hoof is loaded. I think it's really cool in that regard. You can really see how everything loads and spreads and supports the weight of the horse, including the sole and frog.

In other words, I think it shows how the hoof is supposed to function when the frog comes in contact with the ground. Which CAN also come from a shod horse in deep footing. But obviously not on hard footing.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A very neat video showing Western vs. English beau159 Horse Training 33 11-15-2010 11:41 PM
nto horsey, but neat all the same! lilkitty90 Horse Videos 1 08-08-2010 12:56 PM
VERY interesting video: shod vs unshod hoof roro Horse Videos 7 02-13-2010 07:42 PM
Neat video of horses jumping... HalfPass Horse Videos 11 01-08-2010 03:19 PM
Neat photo My2Geldings Horse Talk 6 04-25-2008 11:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0