Need a new farrier :( - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Need a new farrier :(

This is a discussion on Need a new farrier :( within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Farriers whatcom county
  • Farriers in whatcom county

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-16-2013, 11:13 PM
  #11
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloRider    
I use Christina Cline. She's really good and patient with my horse. She only does trimming, no shoes.
I'm in whatcom county.
Not too far from me, but I need shoes all spring and summer on both of mine. Thank you though!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-16-2013, 11:20 PM
  #12
Weanling
I will ask some of the other boarders. They all use shoes on their horses. I've talked to the farrier and she seems very nice, and I think her shoeing jobs look nice enough, though they are not my horses so I never really critiqued it. I don't recall her name, but she trims some local camels also? If that helps?
     
    11-16-2013, 11:23 PM
  #13
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloRider    
I will ask some of the other boarders. They all use shoes on their horses. I've talked to the farrier and she seems very nice, and I think her shoeing jobs look nice enough, though they are not my horses so I never really critiqued it. I don't recall her name, but she trims some local camels also? If that helps?
Thanks.
     
    11-16-2013, 11:41 PM
  #14
Started
Christina Cline did some trims for my mustang and I really liked her overall, but I found it difficult to get her scheduled some of the time.

Roger Saur trimmed and shod my horses when I was in Whatcom County. My understanding is that he does quite a bit of reining/western performance. He worked fairly well with my horses -- I had two very green mustangs that he managed to work nicely with.

You can also look up and see if there are any nearby farriers listed through the American Farrier's Association: The American Farriers Association
     
    11-16-2013, 11:50 PM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith    
Christina Cline did some trims for my mustang and I really liked her overall, but I found it difficult to get her scheduled some of the time.

Roger Saur trimmed and shod my horses when I was in Whatcom County. My understanding is that he does quite a bit of reining/western performance. He worked fairly well with my horses -- I had two very green mustangs that he managed to work nicely with.

You can also look up and see if there are any nearby farriers listed through the American Farrier's Association: The American Farriers Association
I have run across Roger at reining shows. We're in a different county, and that's why my current farrier isn't coming down anymore. I'm really hoping to find one in my county because it's a lot easier to get them to come out if you lose a shoe if they're local. But we're at least 30 minutes south of the Whatcom line, and that's a long way to come for one or two horses. I understand them not wanting to come down for that.
     
    11-16-2013, 11:52 PM
  #16
Started
Here's another listing of farriers in WA to explore:

Farriers Association of Washington State - Membership
Fowl Play likes this.
     
    11-17-2013, 10:10 PM
  #17
Weanling
Hey,
This is the farrier I think.
Jen's Professional Natural Balance Farrier Service

They said her name was Jen, and she couldn't remember her last name. I'm pretty sure this is her though. :)
     
    11-17-2013, 10:18 PM
  #18
Weanling
I have a guy coming out to meet us, our horses, and the other owners who have to find a new farrier too. He's newer to the game. He recently graduated from the school in Oklahoma.

Now...what questions do I need to ask? This is more stressful than finding a vet because my horses will see him so often and his work can really make or break them. HELP!
     
    11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  #19
Yearling
If you want someone in demand, ask them to put you on a waiting list. These good guys are always dropping problem clients who don't pay or have nasty horses. They get tired of hearing "I can't pay you now because......" The best farrier I've ever had was when I lived in New York. Had him for 19 years. He had a waiting list.

The other thing you can do is ask your departing farrier to tell you all the things that you should look for in a good job that he would do on your horse. Then , if you get a newly graduated farrier, interview him first, ask him what he thinks your horse needs . These things should be comparable.
     
    11-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  #20
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches    
If you want someone in demand, ask them to put you on a waiting list. These good guys are always dropping problem clients who don't pay or have nasty horses. They get tired of hearing "I can't pay you now because......" The best farrier I've ever had was when I lived in New York. Had him for 19 years. He had a waiting list.

The other thing you can do is ask your departing farrier to tell you all the things that you should look for in a good job that he would do on your horse. Then , if you get a newly graduated farrier, interview him first, ask him what he thinks your horse needs . These things should be comparable.
This is great! Thank you. I will send an email off to the departing farrier now.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using more than one farrier? Britt Hoof Care 2 04-30-2012 02:50 PM
new farrier. how did he do?? lilkitty90 Horse Health 15 10-03-2011 09:08 AM
Best Farrier Ever!! Mocha26 Horse Health 22 08-04-2011 04:38 PM
How do I tell my farrier... eventerdrew Horse Talk 11 05-24-2010 09:20 PM
what does your farrier do... charliBum Horse Health 8 09-03-2009 10:55 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0