Originally Posted by tinyliny
Now wait a minute. She is asking what we would do in the same situation. Most folks say talk with the owner, and I get the feeling she has plans to do so. But, I think her objective was to kind of test the waters as to what other people thought of asking an owner who has previously kept a horse shod for reasons that are not clear to the leassor. Personally, I don't see anything unreasonable by that. She asked for "what would you do" opinions, and she got some. Fair enough.
Ok taking it from that point of view. I prefer my horses shod on all 4. I am yet to see an Olympic level horse barefoot. Of course my horse is not close to that level, but if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
The barefoot movement is new, and has holes, in my opinion. No pun intended. To each their own, it's not for me. And it's not for the owner of this horse either, and that's what matters.
Originally Posted by gigem88
Although the owner has the final say, nothing wrong with starting a dialogue on going shoeless. If the owner was that interested in the horse, I would think they would not lease it in the first place.
I could not disagree more. The farrier gave 40 mins notice, and it was before the OP was awake. It's reasonable to assume that the owner wasn't awake either - but yet she got to the barn to hold the horse when the leaser could not.
I firmly disagree with the judgement about people who lease out horses. If the horse is not under your riding level, but you want to ensure it gets the level of care for the rest of its life, you'd lease it out. I cannot think of a more responsible thing to do. Please hold back on judging the owner, who is not here to speak for herself.