Originally Posted by SaratogaTB
Vet said wait for three days of soundess before putting shoe back on.
Why 3 days? If it's more than 'just' a simple abscess, I'd personally be keeping the shoes off until the foot/feet are healthy & strong. Hoof boots are generally appropriate for protection in the meantime.
Vet said he is still abscessing and its just not finished and to continue the soaking and icth wraps, which we are doing. Has anyone had experience with one right after the other? Is this the same abscess, or another one? She also told me it could come out somewhere else this time. |
Yeah, unfortunately as you've heard, it's not that uncommon. Abscesses can be a 'one off' type 'accidental' affair - the horse kicked a hard rock or stepped heavily on something particularly pointy for eg - or they can signify bigger issues, such as separation, major 'seedy' infections, etc. If they keep coming, or the horse is 'prone' to them, there is far more likelihood of the abscesses being a symptom of something else. Therefore I'd second Bubba & Dee's advice, that some testing should be done. I'd want to find a really good hoof care professional, whether or not that's your current vet or farrier. You could post some hoof pics too which would help give us a better idea about what may be happening.
I also second Dee's advice about keeping the horse out. He may not want to move much right now in the paddock & I don't believe in forcing a sore horse, but the more movement he gets, the better, so I wouldn't coop him up.