Shoes or Hoof Boots? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,157
• Horses: 0
I haven't used them for very long. I just pulled my horse's shoes two months ago. They really are like an extension of the hoof. There's some traction on the inside of the boot so the hoof doesn't slide around in there. I haven't galloped yet since I don't have studs on mine, but the other gaits are fine. I don't have rocky terrain in my area, but I can't imagine that being a problem. Not a hint of a boot coming yet. That being said, proper sizing is a must. Take your measurements after a fresh trim. If you have any doubts, email Kirt at renegade your pics with measurements so you get the correct size. I goofed and had to return my first pair.

You just have to see your distance...you don't have to like it.
MyBoyPuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18 View Post
I'll be about 10-15 minutes away from Bloomsburg You are so lucky to live in the mountains they're my absolute favorite place to be. So beautiful.
I'm about an hour east of Bloomsburg, I've been there twice I think, I went to the bloomsburg fair once a few years ago, It's really nice over there! I kinda live in the middle of all the bigish cities about an hour from all of them! East of bloomsburg, south of scranton and north of allentown lol. A friend of mine goes to bloomsburg university and keeps her horses at a big stable over there(I think)
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,910
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck View Post
I haven't used them for very long. I just pulled my horse's shoes two months ago. They really are like an extension of the hoof. There's some traction on the inside of the boot so the hoof doesn't slide around in there. I haven't galloped yet since I don't have studs on mine, but the other gaits are fine. I don't have rocky terrain in my area, but I can't imagine that being a problem. Not a hint of a boot coming yet. That being said, proper sizing is a must. Take your measurements after a fresh trim. If you have any doubts, email Kirt at renegade your pics with measurements so you get the correct size. I goofed and had to return my first pair.

Thanks! I think to make sure I get the measurements right I'll have myself, my farrier, and my trainer measure his hooves just to make sure I get it right. Measure three times order once haha.

Rachel- it is extremely nice there. When I was there for a week back in June I was in Millville(that's where I'm going in April) and I had to drive into bloomsburg to get my dunkin donuts coffee fix haha. My friend and I anytime we go up there we end up stopping at the Allentown rest stop I believe it's on the PA turnpike(I am so bad with rd names I go by landmarks =P ) since it's almost exactly halfway from my house to where we go. The mountains are absolutely breath taking though, I couldn't take enough pictures.

~ Hope is never light years away ~
Phantomcolt18 is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18 View Post
Thanks! I think to make sure I get the measurements right I'll have myself, my farrier, and my trainer measure his hooves just to make sure I get it right. Measure three times order once haha.

Rachel- it is extremely nice there. When I was there for a week back in June I was in Millville(that's where I'm going in April) and I had to drive into bloomsburg to get my dunkin donuts coffee fix haha. My friend and I anytime we go up there we end up stopping at the Allentown rest stop I believe it's on the PA turnpike(I am so bad with rd names I go by landmarks =P ) since it's almost exactly halfway from my house to where we go. The mountains are absolutely breath taking though, I couldn't take enough pictures.
I'm pretty sure I know exactly the rest stop you are talking about and I've stopped there a few times on my way to philly or south NJ.
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
• Horses: 3
Are you going for trail riding or what? I event my horse and have to shoe him in spring but pull them in the winter. It is good for them to be without. I read an awesome article by someone at UC davis maybe about if shoes are needed and when they aren't. i'll have to see if i can find it online
Rachel7861 is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,999
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Properly applied shoes do absolutely no harm to the horse.
That is your opinion Kevin. My opinion is that I agree,*depending on a number of factors*, properly fitted shoes on a healthy horse, in the short term, aren't likely to do any substantial harm.
loosie is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,999
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel7861 View Post
I read an awesome article by someone at UC davis maybe about if shoes are needed and when they aren't. i'll have to see if i can find it online
barehoofcare.com has a section on when shoes may be the best option too, including when they're needed for competition, jumping, etc. I tend to agree with those principles personally.
loosie is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 573
• Horses: 0
I have gone through deep sucking mud with the Easyboot glove and have cantered with absoulutely no problem. I have noticed though maybe a possibility of a little slippage on slicker hills..has anyone had this happen with boots. You can get studs to put on them though I think, not sure if that is any EB or just certain ones.
garlicbunny is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,910
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel7861 View Post
Are you going for trail riding or what? I event my horse and have to shoe him in spring but pull them in the winter. It is good for them to be without. I read an awesome article by someone at UC davis maybe about if shoes are needed and when they aren't. i'll have to see if i can find it online
Yes it would be for trail riding and also sometimes we do small exercises along this one path at a walk, trot, and canter and it has gravel on it which TC doesn't like.

~ Hope is never light years away ~
Phantomcolt18 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18 View Post
Yes it would be for trail riding and also sometimes we do small exercises along this one path at a walk, trot, and canter and it has gravel on it which TC doesn't like.
I would try the boots first and if they dont stay on or you dont like them then go to the shoes. But if you're going thru so many pairs of boots then it might not be worth it ya know?
Rachel7861 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hoof Boots vs. Shoes w/ padding Arksly Hoof Care 22 08-05-2011 07:54 PM
Opinions on Happy Hoof Wear Horse Shoes Mocha26 Hoof Care 16 04-22-2011 10:23 PM
steel shoes vs boots Go The Distance Horse Health 13 07-13-2010 02:30 PM
shoes vs boots nate1 Horse Health 14 09-17-2009 06:38 PM
Hoof-it Shoes blossom856 Horse Tack and Equipment 1 11-15-2008 08:52 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome