Should I use hoof boots?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Should I use hoof boots?

This is a discussion on Should I use hoof boots? within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Whats the difference between easyboot epic, glove and
  • Hoof boots for road use

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
  #1
Foal
Should I use hoof boots?

I don't shoe my pony at the time, because she's mostly been in the field, and also because she had laminitis a couple of weeks ago, she's recovered now, but I don't dare to shoe her just yet anyway.
Besides I've heard it's good for the hoof to be without shoes..

Problem is, I'd like to take her for walks, but there are not many soft roads that we can ride on, and to reach the ones that do exist we have to walk on asphalt and stuff for a good while.
And my poor Silver is very sore on asphalt.. She tries to go in the side of the road all the time, on the grass, and when there's no grass/earth to walk on in the side of the road, she either goes reluctantly and slowly on the asphalt for a while, and when she thinks it becomes too much to bear, she simply stops and doesn't want to move...

I don't know if I'll shoe her yet, I'd like to try out hoof boots first. Some friends who keep their horses barefoot have recommended it to me.

What do you guys here think?
Should I try out hoof boots before I decide to shoe her again?
If so, what kind of hoof boots would be best suited for us?
How long does those boots last for, and what price would I have to pay?

Thank you! All guidance in this matter would help me and Silver a lot
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
  #2
Foal
Hmm I wondering about those too! I don't know much about them. When I ride my horse we have to ride on the road, and I think horse boots might help with not damaging the hooves. I would like to learn more about them also, they sound very useful!
     
    04-11-2011, 08:00 PM
  #3
Green Broke
I've loved hoof boots! I'm a fan of the Easyboot epic. My horse could walk on anything with them. I only put them on his front feet too and he was fine. I'd definitely recommend them
     
    04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
  #4
Started
Talk to your farrier about shoeing and laminitis. Sometimes they can be greatly helped by the right shoe.
     
    04-12-2011, 02:57 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterhorse    
hmm I wondering about those too! I don't know much about them. When I ride my horse we have to ride on the road, and I think horse boots might help with not damaging the hooves. I would like to learn more about them also, they sound very useful!
Yes, they help with not damaging the hooves, I think! And also it helps sore feet, or so I heard from lots of people.
So it would certainly be something for me, I think.. If only I've got the money and get to understand the sizes :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkarel2010    
I've loved hoof boots! I'm a fan of the Easyboot epic. My horse could walk on anything with them. I only put them on his front feet too and he was fine. I'd definitely recommend them
Wow, really? Sounds great! I'm actually considering the Easyboot Glove, as my best friend has got one of her horses barefoot, and she was really sore until my best friend was recommended to use hoofboots, and those really worked!

What's the difference between the Easyboot Epic and the Easyboot Glove, you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNag    
Talk to your farrier about shoeing and laminitis. Sometimes they can be greatly helped by the right shoe.
I have talked to my farrier already
And read an ebook about the "natural" approach to laminitis, and the author recommended having the hoof shaped in the natural way.
So I did that and that really helped!
Silver isn't really suffering from laminitis anymore, she has improved greatly and I've started exercising her more. But she gets sore on asphalt, she's ever done so, that was why I was wondering about the hoofboots, not because of laminitis. Silver's always been sore on asphalt when not shod, it's not anything new :)

Thanks for your answers, folks!
More are welcome!!
     
    04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Wings    
Wow, really? Sounds great! I'm actually considering the Easyboot Glove, as my best friend has got one of her horses barefoot, and she was really sore until my best friend was recommended to use hoofboots, and those really worked!

What's the difference between the Easyboot Epic and the Easyboot Glove, you think?
There aren't a whole lot of differences. So it'll mostly be based on what exactly you'll be doing and how difficult it is to fit a boot to your pony's feet.

The Easyboot Epic has a cable buckling system, so it's easier to keep the boot on in more challenging conditions or if your pony isn't a perfect fit for one of their sizes. It is a more snug fit on the hoof so it is harder for things to get stuck in it.

The Easyboot Glove has a slip on style (both have the gaiter, which is the strap that goes around the pastern). It's tread on the bottom is more representative of the natural hoof.

Easyboot Epic | The Industry Leading Hoof Boot | EasyCare Inc.
The Easyboot Glove | The Ultimate Horse Hoof Boot | EasyCare Inc.

Those are the links to their websites. Personally I prefer the epic, but that's just me. Definitely research it more to see what fits your needs and see if you can find someone who sells them in your area to talk to. They could definitely help you decide which one to get and if they're close can even come out and size them for you to make sure you get the right fit!
     
    04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
  #7
Foal
OMG. I am SO spoiling my horse with these
     
    04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkarel2010    
I've loved hoof boots! I'm a fan of the Easyboot epic. My horse could walk on anything with them. I only put them on his front feet too and he was fine. I'd definitely recommend them
How long have they lasted you? And if you order them from the website, do they come in pairs? It seems a little pricey for $95 a boot...
     
    04-12-2011, 08:49 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterhorse    
How long have they lasted you? And if you order them from the website, do they come in pairs? It seems a little pricey for $95 a boot...
The ones I'm using now are from when they first put the gaiter on (we have a bunch from before the gaiter came with them too, which was a LONG time ago). I'm not sure when exactly they bought them (technically I don't own them, but use them all the time). I've done a ton of riding in them and they're still in amazing shape, and they had been used a lot before I started using them.

I'm not sure whether they are sold in pairs or alone on their website. You can get them a lot cheaper on ebay or amazon if you are confident in what size you need.

They are a little pricey as an initial investment, but it's definitely worth it. Compared to other hoof boots they are really economical. The less expensive ones aren't nearly as well designed or last as long.
     
    04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkarel2010    
There aren't a whole lot of differences. So it'll mostly be based on what exactly you'll be doing and how difficult it is to fit a boot to your pony's feet.

The Easyboot Epic has a cable buckling system, so it's easier to keep the boot on in more challenging conditions or if your pony isn't a perfect fit for one of their sizes. It is a more snug fit on the hoof so it is harder for things to get stuck in it.

The Easyboot Glove has a slip on style (both have the gaiter, which is the strap that goes around the pastern). It's tread on the bottom is more representative of the natural hoof.

Easyboot Epic | The Industry Leading Hoof Boot | EasyCare Inc.
The Easyboot Glove | The Ultimate Horse Hoof Boot | EasyCare Inc.

Those are the links to their websites. Personally I prefer the epic, but that's just me. Definitely research it more to see what fits your needs and see if you can find someone who sells them in your area to talk to. They could definitely help you decide which one to get and if they're close can even come out and size them for you to make sure you get the right fit!
Thanks a lot, that helped!
I'll measure her hooves, and then I'll see if I choose Epic or Glove. I feel very keen towards the Glove, really..

As to what I will use them for, it will be for quite easy rides on asphalt/gravel, and also for riding on softer grass/turf as well. I don't know if they recommend jumping with them, but we might do that as well with them one day if it's tolerated..

Thank you again, mlkarel!! I appreciate it
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hoof Boots MN Tigerstripes Horse Tack and Equipment 8 01-31-2011 06:51 PM
Hoof Boots... kris7894 Horse Tack and Equipment 10 11-28-2010 01:07 PM
Hoof Boots Vidaloco Trail Riding 41 05-28-2009 11:27 PM
Hoof Boots hotreddun Hoof Care 4 07-15-2008 11:52 AM
Old Mac hoof boots Vidaloco Horse Tack and Equipment 22 11-12-2007 09:51 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0