Stone bruise and possible abscess! HELP! - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

Stone bruise and possible abscess! HELP!

This is a discussion on Stone bruise and possible abscess! HELP! within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-28-2013, 02:20 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loosie    
    Curious why he hates work & what you do to try to address that? Is it boredom? Tedious or stressful exercises...?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Laziness. He is slightly over weight and we are trying to get him to lose weight. He was 1350 and is supposed to be 1250, so per vets orders, we took away his grain and make sure he works at least 3 days a week, if not more.

    He usually acts up by trying to avoid the bit and pulling me toward the barn, or refusing to go forward. I do the 3 step process, ask, tell, make. After I correct him enough he stops acting like a jerk, but he is an Appaloosa and they are known for their hardheadedness.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-30-2013, 05:33 AM
      #12
    Trained
    Appaloosas are no more or less horses than any other... Except in looks but you do tend to get what you expect from an animal

    I'd just keep in mind that behaviour labeled as 'laziness' or 'stubbornness' very often has a physical cause, particularly when bad feet are a known entity.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-30-2013, 07:08 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loosie    
    Appaloosas are no more or less horses than any other... Except in looks but you do tend to get what you expect from an animal

    I'd just keep in mind that behaviour labeled as 'laziness' or 'stubbornness' very often has a physical cause, particularly when bad feet are a known entity.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    He has been vet checked and farrier checked. Besides the teeny tiny stone bruise (farrier said it was the size of a pebble) he is as healthy as well...a horse.
    He is just stubborn and lazy. He would rather snooze in the pasture all day then work. BUT when made to work, he can be awesome, like today he was magnificent. It just depends on the day and his mood really.
         
        08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
      #14
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstorres2566    
    He has been vet checked and farrier checked. Besides the teeny tiny stone bruise (farrier said it was the size of a pebble) he is as healthy as well...a horse.
    He is just stubborn and lazy. He would rather snooze in the pasture all day then work. BUT when made to work, he can be awesome, like today he was magnificent. It just depends on the day and his mood really.
    I wouldnt be so quick to say he's lazy I know of an appaloosa who was labeled lazy, stuborn. Turns out she needed work done on teeth. Her hoofs were a mess after all that was fixed she's a diffrent horse now.

    Do you know for a fact his feet are in good shape? Is your farrier as good as you think? Do you reconise under run heels or any other hoof issue ? Because if you don't you need to do some studying of hoofs. Good place to start is barefoothorse.com.

    Iv owned appaloosas and not one I owned was lazy or stuborn they are very smart and willing.
    loosie likes this.
         
        08-30-2013, 09:17 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spirit88    
    I wouldnt be so quick to say he's lazy I know of an appaloosa who was labeled lazy, stuborn. Turns out she needed work done on teeth. Her hoofs were a mess after all that was fixed she's a diffrent horse now.

    Do you know for a fact his feet are in good shape? Is your farrier as good as you think? Do you reconise under run heels or any other hoof issue ? Because if you don't you need to do some studying of hoofs. Good place to start is barefoothorse.com.

    Iv owned appaloosas and not one I owned was lazy or stuborn they are very smart and willing.
    Our farrier is great. I have been around horses for 11 years so I can recognize different hoof issues. His feet look great, and he had a tooth floated earlier this year.

    He can be extremely lazy, but will work hard for you as well, you just have to make him. But he is most contented when napping in the pasture. He IS extremely smart, but that doesn't change that he is stubborn. He tries to be the boss, so you just have to knock him down a peg. Again, I love this horse to pieces, but he is real challenge some days, just ironically not today. Today he was an absolute dream, but then again I hadn't worked him since Tuesday so he had some pent up energy I suppose.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Stone bruise or something else? PaintLover17 Horse Health 5 02-28-2013 12:38 PM
    Stone bruise?? dreamster Horse Health 1 09-15-2012 03:34 AM
    Stone bruise or what? HorseGuru Horse Health 16 04-10-2012 10:02 PM
    Stone Bruise brodieluver26 Horse Health 0 10-02-2010 03:59 PM
    Stone bruise, help! kchfuller Horse Health 10 01-05-2009 12:24 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0