Trim- what the heck? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 52Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mountian back woods
Posts: 1,569
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
Being on this board, there are a variety of opinions on mustang rolls, bevels and all that stuff. No one is wrong. Some like the bigazz bevel, others like a minimum bevel. Some like the water line carrying the weight, some don't go that far. There's 2 sides to flares , too. Some like to rasp them flat, and some leave them mostly alone except getting the flared wall off the ground to prevent more flare.

I don't think anyone's wrong or right. Wait.....I think everyone is right. We all want the same things and eventually we all get there.

My soon to be ex farrier does not believe in backing up the toes. He doesn't bevel either. I leave it alone because my horse chips away her long toe all by herself. Hopefully it annoys the farrier.

I think the point in the 'mustang roll' is to get the hoof to look like this one or this is what I try to mimic when I do a roll.. when you roll the hoof its more to ballance the hoof- keep flares and cracking from happening- and to take out the sharp edges the nippers leave behind.

I never rasp more than that (to bevel).. not sayin its 'wrong' I do believe it takes away the hooves ability to retain moisture when you rasp too high up on the hoof wall though.
toto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,546
• Horses: 0
Quite the diplomat Fluffy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto View Post
I think the point in the 'mustang roll' is to get the hoof to look like this one
I think if you have an arid, rough environment horse, that is indeed the sort of thing you'd be aiming for, but IME it depends on environment & other factors as to specifics of a trim, including how much/little of a 'mustang roll'.
Trinity3205, Oldhorselady and toto like this.
loosie is offline  
post #23 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill Florida
Posts: 1,101
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
Quite the diplomat Fluffy!



I think if you have an arid, rough environment horse, that is indeed the sort of thing you'd be aiming for, but IME it depends on environment & other factors as to specifics of a trim, including how much/little of a 'mustang roll'.

I think so too. A trim in a dry climate may be a bit different than for a wet climate.

The purpose of a bevel is to prevent flares and cracks. I think of a bevel as "relieving" some of the torque on the outer hoof, not lifting it completely off the ground-I still think it should be carrying most of the weight-just in an improved way.

I don't disagree with any bevel for the right reason. But the bevel isn't as important as the Reason you are putting it there.

I believe that Pete Ramey gave us guidelines, courage, and instruction, not the Bible on hoof care. I was just speechless when I found his book, and started learning how to use his info. It made a world of difference in my mare. But I didn't stop there. I kept learning, especially from good farriers, and learned to "tweak" Ramey's guidelines to work with my non mustang mare. But he is still the base for my education.

Since my mare had the mustang bred out of her long ago, and lives a different life, there's been some other info that has helped me. Duckett's Dot (mapping the foot like Loosie and Trinity talk about)
Oldhorselady and toto like this.
princessfluffybritches is offline  
post #24 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mountian back woods
Posts: 1,569
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
I think so too. A trim in a dry climate may be a bit different than for a wet climate.

The purpose of a bevel is to prevent flares and cracks. I think of a bevel as "relieving" some of the torque on the outer hoof, not lifting it completely off the ground-I still think it should be carrying most of the weight-just in an improved way.

I don't disagree with any bevel for the right reason. But the bevel isn't as important as the Reason you are putting it there.

I believe that Pete Ramey gave us guidelines, courage, and instruction, not the Bible on hoof care. I was just speechless when I found his book, and started learning how to use his info. It made a world of difference in my mare. But I didn't stop there. I kept learning, especially from good farriers, and learned to "tweak" Ramey's guidelines to work with my non mustang mare. But he is still the base for my education.

Since my mare had the mustang bred out of her long ago, and lives a different life, there's been some other info that has helped me. Duckett's Dot (mapping the foot like Loosie and Trinity talk about)
I agree.

Agree again about flare and cracks-- I like for my horse to land heel first and push off with the toe.. I put the bevel to keep the flare away and cracks but to also build up the toe callus on the push off (brakeover) Im far too lazy to explain any further, lol. that mustangs cadaver foot (pictured) he's standin on toe callus and heel- not hoof wall. That's what I want- I do realize that's a tough built hoof but id like to achieve somethin close to that still.

I saw some hoof books at TSC that were for barefoot trimming- looked pretty interesting to me- not sure how up to date they were but ill read them just for new consept.


What breed? I read you have a walkin horse that chips away her own feet- mine does too! Lol. Does your horse have black feet by chance? Mine does and the owner always says black feet are good feet- so far I can't deny them, lol. Does she 'self trim' her bars- or do you need to do that for her? My mare needs her bars done because she can't 'self trim' them.. funny.

Last edited by toto; 05-26-2013 at 01:55 PM.
toto is offline  
post #25 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,487
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto View Post
what breed? I read you have a walkin horse that chips away her own feet- mine does too! Lol. Does your horse have black feet by chance? Mine does and the owner always says black feet are good feet- so far I can't deny them, lol. Does she 'self trim' her bars- or do you need to do that for her? My mare needs her bars done because she can't 'self trim' them.. funny.
Dark hoof color has nothing to do with how good or bad hoof quality is. Saying that dark hooves are stronger than light hooves is nothing but an old wives tale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oldhorselady and Kayella like this.
GamingGrrl is offline  
post #26 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mountian back woods
Posts: 1,569
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGrrl View Post
Dark hoof color has nothing to do with how good or bad hoof quality is. Saying that dark hooves are stronger than light hooves is nothing but an old wives tale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol funny you say theyre stronger-- I find them to be softer.

Seems they retain more moisture than white hooves do.. even with the cow hooves you feed to the dog- my pup can chew a black hoof down but the whites break off and become jagged and sharp.
toto is offline  
post #27 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,546
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
I think of a bevel as "relieving" some of the torque on the outer hoof, not lifting it completely off the ground-I still think it should be carrying most of the weight-just in an improved way.
I don't believe the outer wall should be weightbearing at all actually. Inner walls & rest of the foot.

Quote:
Since my mare had the mustang bred out of her long ago, and lives a different life,
It's the last part of that comment I think relevant - changes occur due to deed, not breed, so to speak.
loosie is offline  
post #28 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Erwin, NC
Posts: 232
• Horses: 1
Here's that flare now after two hours on a trial...

IMG_4688.jpg

GRRRRR!!!:evil :
CatrinaB87 is offline  
post #29 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,011
• Horses: 24
I only skimmed what everyone else wrote, but it looks to me like that's not a "new" thing that just appeared after one trim. Those feet appear to have been growing and getting trimmed that way for a while.
flytobecat likes this.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #30 of 48 Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: mountian back woods
Posts: 1,569
• Horses: 0
CatrinaB87- start rollin up that news paper!


Tell him to take the flare off and give your horse a nice roll.. before he does it himself, lol.

Is that chip all the way to the live sole or below it? No specific reasoning- just wonderin.
CatrinaB87 likes this.
toto is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the difference between a barefoot trim & a farrier trim? flytobecat Horse Health 20 10-12-2013 05:04 PM
Natural barefoot trim vs. Reg bareft trim?? free_sprtd Horse Health 9 12-28-2012 05:35 PM
Hoof care, self trim V no trim Golden Horse Hoof Care 39 07-20-2011 07:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome