What's the hardest breed to shoe?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Hoof Care

What's the hardest breed to shoe?

This is a discussion on What's the hardest breed to shoe? within the Hoof Care forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Which breed of horse is the hardest to keep
  • What are the hardest shoes

Like Tree27Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
  #1
Yearling
What's the hardest breed to shoe?

Overall average, as a group.

For me, it's Paso Finos because they have the nervous jerks. Anyone else
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-13-2012, 02:11 AM
  #2
Banned
Anything with brittle feet.....as far as a breed I hear TB can be a pain.
     
    02-13-2012, 02:13 AM
  #3
Green Broke
I have to agree with TBs...The have soft feet, can be very brittle and/or dry, and bruise/abscess easier than breeds..I have an appendix QH/TB mare and her feet are NOTHING like my QHs feet..
     
    02-13-2012, 02:16 AM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
Overall average, as a group.

For me, it's Paso Finos because they have the nervous jerks. Anyone else
hahaha! I never knew this. Do they ALL have a nervous jerk???
     
    02-13-2012, 07:38 AM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
For me, it's Paso Finos because they have the nervous jerks.
Guessing you're not talking about the nervous jerks that own them??
     
    02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
  #6
Showing
You'd love my Paso....he's the definition of dead broke!

My farrier hates doing the drafts; they all lean.
     
    02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxer    
hahaha! I never knew this. Do they ALL have a nervous jerk???
The show-bred ones are real squirrelly. The ones I did for people that did recreational riding were ok.

It's like alot of breeds, the show horses are supposed to be
High-headed and quick-steppin. Makes them hard to keep on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
  #8
Yearling
Im not wild about drafts either. Theyre so strong they just pull you in 2. And you really have to use a forge to shape those big shoes. Everything's bigger, more nipping, more rasping, Bigger nails. Just a more exhausting job. Really a person should double their price to do drafts. The best way is just put them in stocks and strap their feet up. I turn them down now because I don't want to beat on a hot shoe In front of a forge when it's 100 degrees
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
  #9
Weanling
It would be educational to see a few photos of the shoeing work done by those responding to this thread.

As to which breed is most difficult to shoe, I might offer that it isn't the breed which presents the variation in difficulty.

The challenges are found in the intended discipline, conformation of the animal, behavior of the animal, work environment and experience of the owner.

Show me a horse with good capsule conformation/health, low level discipline performance expectations, quality behavior and a well-lit, dry, level work environment and I'll show you a horse you can shoe in your sleep.

On the other hand, present a horse intended to chase cans with a toe-out conformation, carpus valgus, poor behavior and owned by someone whose equine experience is limited to the last issue of Horse & Rider magazine and I'll show you a farrier that would rather be a Walmart greeter for the day!

Cheers,
Mark
     
    02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman56    
It would be educational to see a few photos of the shoeing work done by those responding to this thread.

As to which breed is most difficult to shoe, I might offer that it isn't the breed which presents the variation in difficulty.

The challenges are found in the intended discipline, conformation of the animal, behavior of the animal, work environment and experience of the owner.

Show me a horse with good capsule conformation/health, low level discipline performance expectations, quality behavior and a well-lit, dry, level work environment and I'll show you a horse you can shoe in your sleep.

On the other hand, present a horse intended to chase cans with a toe-out conformation, carpus valgus, poor behavior and owned by someone whose equine experience is limited to the last issue of Horse & Rider magazine and I'll show you a farrier that would rather be a Walmart greeter for the day!


Cheers,
Mark

Can I get an AMEN? LOL
ButtInTheDirt, Lucky Seven and hel like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Shoe or not to Shoe a Missouri Foxtrotter? snazzydandy Gaited Horses 15 07-17-2011 12:12 PM
The hardest thing was not getting to say goodbye beauforever23 General Off Topic Discussion 9 05-18-2011 10:22 PM
Hardest decision of my life): TwoHeartsOneBond Horse Breeding 103 07-20-2010 03:27 PM
One of the hardest things I've ever done... FGRanch Horse Talk 8 11-24-2008 12:29 AM
Hardest thing to teach? Vidaloco Horse Training 14 07-04-2008 07:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0