My "Art Journal" - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Pictures, Videos, Artwork, and Contests > Horse Artwork

My "Art Journal"

This is a discussion on My "Art Journal" within the Horse Artwork forums, part of the Horse Pictures, Videos, Artwork, and Contests category
  • Horse art journal pages
  • My art journal pages

Like Tree29Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-04-2012, 08:48 PM
  #21
Banned
Example: http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...n/CIMG1247.jpg

This is stage 1 of a picture with the eye completed.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-05-2012, 05:20 AM
  #22
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr    
Thank you. I've been drawing most of my life It's always been my passion (aswell as horses of course). But because of life and responsibilities, I got out of doing it for a long time and only recently, things in my personal life have suddenly gone 180 and drawing again is helping me alot mentally.

I know how you feel when you say about your own work bugging you. The other day I started a drawing, spent HOURS on it and totally screwed up the eye. I abandoned the picture all together and started another. It felt crap. But, the positive that came out of it was that I learn't that in future, I'm always going to finish the eye before the rest, because capturing depth in an eye is, for me, one of the hardest parts of a picture. So if I get that right first, then the rest will probably be ok. Lol
I always heard people saying how important the eye was, and I didn't realise until I started drawing again! I tend to rush my drawings a little, I really need to slow myself down. I really struggle to make my drawings realistic as you can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr    
Example: http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...n/CIMG1247.jpg

This is stage 1 of a picture with the eye completed.
That looks beautiful
     
    02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
  #23
Weanling
I love the colts.
I rush my drawings too, especially when I'm near the end! Something I have to work on :)
     
    02-05-2012, 04:10 PM
  #24
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineLighten    
I love the colts.
I rush my drawings too, especially when I'm near the end! Something I have to work on :)
Thanks, and yeah me too
     
    02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
  #25
Yearling
Okay guys, here is the finished (I think) piece. It's on A4 paper, in pencil. It's my friends 3 and a half year old gelding.

Please feel free to tell me what you think I should add to it, or if there is anything wrong or needs changing.

     
    02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
  #26
Weanling
Ooh I really like it, big improvement since your first drawings!
Shading is nice and really good job with the eye.
Only things are the mane looks a little rushed, the forelock is fine, but the bit down his neck looks...scribbly? Also the metal bits of the head collar look a bit pencil-neglected, try make them look shiny like real metal :)
     
    02-09-2012, 01:28 PM
  #27
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineLighten    
ooh I really like it, big improvement since your first drawings!
Shading is nice and really good job with the eye.
Only things are the mane looks a little rushed, the forelock is fine, but the bit down his neck looks...scribbly? Also the metal bits of the head collar look a bit pencil-neglected, try make them look shiny like real metal :)
Yep, manes are my arch enemy. I try hard to get them right, but fail!
     
    02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
  #28
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snizard93    
Yep, manes are my arch enemy. I try hard to get them right, but fail!
I just think you need to alter it so it goes from the top of the neck and down the other side out of view. At the moment it looks like it's going from the top of the neck, loop de loop, back to the top of the neck :)
     
    02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
  #29
Weanling
Manes and tales were/and still are a big challenge for me. While on one hand you want it to look realistic with individual hairs, you also want it to flow together. The technique that I usually end up going with, which may not be the best, is I like to incorporate highlighting with my kneaded eraser. And darken up the contrast in areas. Not only does it give more of a dimensional look but you don't get lost in tiny individual hairs.
Like so:

I'm all for the less-is-more approach. Sometimes I skirt on the little details for an overall smooth picture. But there are other artists here on the forum like kayty and confucious that are very consciencious of the little details...making their style unique. Everyone has their own technique when it comes to their art. And I think that once you find what your preference is and go with it, you'll find that it gets easier.
Plus it contributes to your style, making your art specifically yours. Best of luck!
     
    02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
  #30
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgirl89    
Manes and tales were/and still are a big challenge for me. While on one hand you want it to look realistic with individual hairs, you also want it to flow together. The technique that I usually end up going with, which may not be the best, is I like to incorporate highlighting with my kneaded eraser. And darken up the contrast in areas. Not only does it give more of a dimensional look but you don't get lost in tiny individual hairs.
Like so:

I'm all for the less-is-more approach. Sometimes I skirt on the little details for an overall smooth picture. But there are other artists here on the forum like kayty and confucious that are very consciencious of the little details...making their style unique. Everyone has their own technique when it comes to their art. And I think that once you find what your preference is and go with it, you'll find that it gets easier.
Plus it contributes to your style, making your art specifically yours. Best of luck!
Yes I know what you mean. I need to find my own way of doing hair, I havn't found it yet

What do you think about the rest of the drawing?

And good news everyone, I got my first two commissions today
tinyliny likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Definitions of "Green" "Started" "Broke" etc... Horse Hippie Horse Training 12 08-31-2009 04:00 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0