My "Art Journal" - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: De Witt, IA
Posts: 534
• Horses: 7
I feel kinda bad...i actually can't see it on my computer here at work. Don't know why that is! But I'm hoping to be able to see it from my sister's phone later on today. I'll give ya some feedback then

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. ~Aristotle
www.brandisue.jimdo.com
midwestgirl89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 552
• Horses: 0
That's loads of improvement. Very nice. The shading is getting much better. Like Elaine said, the hair does look rushed. And the metal lacks some depth because I think it still has that 'outliny' feel about it. I found the reference picture on the other thread and kept comparing the two by switching windows. This really helps me when I'm trying to find faults with my own work. Some faults I just CANNOT see in my own work until someone points it out to me.

Im not sure if the lead rope is a little small too? I'm not sure?
These are minor though and are not huge issues. Also just watch out for where the areas of light are on the original reference photo. They are getting better drawing by drawing. Well done and well done getting your first commissions too
ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr is offline  
post #33 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr View Post
That's loads of improvement. Very nice. The shading is getting much better. Like Elaine said, the hair does look rushed. And the metal lacks some depth because I think it still has that 'outliny' feel about it. I found the reference picture on the other thread and kept comparing the two by switching windows. This really helps me when I'm trying to find faults with my own work. Some faults I just CANNOT see in my own work until someone points it out to me.

Im not sure if the lead rope is a little small too? I'm not sure?
These are minor though and are not huge issues. Also just watch out for where the areas of light are on the original reference photo. They are getting better drawing by drawing. Well done and well done getting your first commissions too
Yeah you're right, I totally mucked up the lead rope I showed my friend and she really loved it. She said she would pay 25+ for it, but I am pricing them at just 15 at the moment. I don't think i'm good enough to charge mega bucks just yet!

Yeah I did change the lighting a little because I found it hard to see detail and shading in the picture.

I don't think it came out too bad of course, nothing compared to yours!
Snizard93 is offline  
post #34 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,175
• Horses: 3
Huge improvement!

To add to the comments about the horse's mane -
I think the biggest issue is that there is no clarity to where the mane joins the neck. Looking at the drawing, I am not really sure what is neck and what is the base of the mane. You need to define the different textures between the fur of the coat, and the hair of the mane.

You have a good grasp on drawing eyes, the only thing now is that you need to start getting a bit more depth to them. *Work those tonal values!!*
Same thing goes for the rest of the drawing, it is all very 'nice' but not striking. You need to use your tonal values, get the shadows in, under the jaw should be black, in the ears there should be spots of black, in the nostrils, in the halter etc. etc etc. When you start using these tonal values, your drawings will improve out of sight :)

~Horse & Hound Artistry~.

Website: www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Kayty is offline  
post #35 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty View Post
Huge improvement!

To add to the comments about the horse's mane -
I think the biggest issue is that there is no clarity to where the mane joins the neck. Looking at the drawing, I am not really sure what is neck and what is the base of the mane. You need to define the different textures between the fur of the coat, and the hair of the mane.

You have a good grasp on drawing eyes, the only thing now is that you need to start getting a bit more depth to them. *Work those tonal values!!*
Same thing goes for the rest of the drawing, it is all very 'nice' but not striking. You need to use your tonal values, get the shadows in, under the jaw should be black, in the ears there should be spots of black, in the nostrils, in the halter etc. etc etc. When you start using these tonal values, your drawings will improve out of sight :)
Thank you
Snizard93 is offline  
post #36 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39,001
• Horses: 2
here you can see them side by side
tinyliny is online now  
post #37 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39,001
• Horses: 2
When you really look at them side by side you will see that in some things, you are drawing what you KNOW should be there, not so much what is visible there. I always say to anyone that asks me about drawing, "draw what you SEE , not what you think you see."

His mane is actually projecting forward, and does not curl over his neck at all.
His off ear is not nearly as visible (the inside ) as the near ear. His eyelid is not so perfectly almond shaped all around, and the 'arch" of the brow ridge is not a perfect arch but rather steeper on the left side.
The nose bone and jaw bone more prominant and the eyebrow bone also more prominant, casting a darker shadow. Once you start to feel the skeletal "substance" of the horse's head, it will start to have more 3 dimensionality.

To your credit, you have done the porportions extremely well; the length of head, versus the width, the size of ears, size of nostril ; all are very good. The eyeball itself is beautifully done and looks so very glassy.
As the others said, more tonal value, and more careful looking at the shapes of the bones and direction of the hair, not operating on assumptions about mane always going over the neck.

Lastly, when you look at that photo, WHAT about THAT horse stands out? So that when you make HIS portrait, it looks like HIM? when you have decided how to answer that, then make that be the thing you really try to have incorporated in your drawing, above all else.

Last edited by tinyliny; 02-09-2012 at 08:37 PM.
tinyliny is online now  
post #38 of 253 Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
When you really look at them side by side you will see that in some things, you are drawing what you KNOW should be there, not so much what is visible there. I always say to anyone that asks me about drawing, "draw what you SEE , not what you think you see."

His mane is actually projecting forward, and does not curl over his neck at all.
His off ear is not nearly as visible (the inside ) as the near ear. His eyelid is not so perfectly almond shaped all around, and the 'arch" of the brow ridge is not a perfect arch but rather steeper on the left side.
The nose bone and jaw bone more prominant and the eyebrow bone also more prominant, casting a darker shadow. Once you start to feel the skeletal "substance" of the horse's head, it will start to have more 3 dimensionality.

To your credit, you have done the porportions extremely well; the length of head, versus the width, the size of ears, size of nostril ; all are very good. The eyeball itself is beautifully done and looks so very glassy.
As the others said, more tonal value, and more careful looking at the shapes of the bones and direction of the hair, not operating on assumptions about mane always going over the neck.

Lastly, when you look at that photo, WHAT about THAT horse stands out? So that when you make HIS portrait, it looks like HIM? when you have decided how to answer that, then make that be the thing you really try to have incorporated in your drawing, above all else.
Thanks tiny. I will try and spend more time on the mane on my next drawing. I really do have trouble with hair

Thank you for the compliments too
Snizard93 is offline  
post #39 of 253 Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Medway, Kent
Posts: 994
• Horses: 20
Okay so here is my latest commission. It's not finished yet but I really need your help before I change anything/add any more. Something is making the drawing look like a cartoon, but I can't pin point what it is. I don't think the eye is right either. The scanner has lightened the whole drawing slightly so please bare that in mind too. I think the hair is a little better on this one than on the last one too.

So please, whatever you think is wrong/needs changing, tell me!

Snizard93 is offline  
post #40 of 253 Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Yeah see what you mean about it being cartoony, maybe it was the stress of a commission?
I think the ears need more work done, they don't look hairy like ears should. Also it hasn't got any whiskers, and the muzzle is very clear cut and rounded, they're normally a bit lumpy bumpy. Good job on the eye :)
Can we maybe have a reference picture? That might help us see things you haven't (I always need a second pair of eyes, especially after looking at the drawing for ages!)
Edit - Also the bit could do with some shading

To ride or not to ride? ... What a stupid question!!
ElaineLighten is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Definitions of "Green" "Started" "Broke" etc... Horse Hippie Horse Training 12 08-31-2009 03:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome