Advice on stalls and all weather turnout
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Advice on stalls and all weather turnout

This is a discussion on Advice on stalls and all weather turnout within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Boarding a horse outdoors 24/7 in winter pros and cons for horses
  • Hrse stalls and turnuts

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
  #1
Foal
Advice on stalls and all weather turnout

I'm moving to a new barn this weekend and I wanted to get some opinions. Where my horse is at now, he's always turned out but will go in his stall for extreme cases of heat or cold. Where he will be going this weekend, he will always be out, regardless of temperatures. I know horses are pretty good about temperature regulation, but should I be concerned about that? I also know I worry about my animals way too much (I'm a new horse owner, so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Also, what are the pros and cons of field board vd. Stall board?

Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-27-2012, 12:23 PM
  #2
Weanling
My horses live out 24/7 and they are perfectly fine. They do have a run in shed so that they can get out of rain and snow. Run ins stay nice and warm. Get all the horses in there and it starts to get really toasty. I hope the place you are taking them has a run in, or somewhere they can go to get out of the rain/snow, otherwise I wouldn't do it. The only real negative for keeping them outside is that I don't have a stall to tack up in and my horses are always dirty in the winter and spring. My horse has a white mane and tail, and it pretty much stays yellowish in the wintertime.
     
    01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperduck    
My horses live out 24/7 and they are perfectly fine. They do have a run in shed so that they can get out of rain and snow. Run ins stay nice and warm. Get all the horses in there and it starts to get really toasty. I hope the place you are taking them has a run in, or somewhere they can go to get out of the rain/snow, otherwise I wouldn't do it. The only real negative for keeping them outside is that I don't have a stall to tack up in and my horses are always dirty in the winter and spring. My horse has a white mane and tail, and it pretty much stays yellowish in the wintertime.
Thanks for your input - where do you live?

Also, there are run-in sheds where he's going...I wouldn't put him somewhere where he couldn't get out of the elements.
     
    01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
  #4
Trained
It depends. If you are staying at the same elevation, same latitude horses with a lot of turnout can adjust to more time outside with a run in shelter. My shelter off of my barn is 16' x 19', with my newly built ~30" wide manger on the north side (opening in SE side.)

ALSO, depends upon how many horses share the shelter. TODAY, it's sloppy and likely that my mare will get kicked out of the shelter by gelding#1 and gelding#2, so she's inside all day. This is a consideration bc you don't want your horse to be the one without shelter in a storm.
ICE is the next consideration. Horses can adapt to Alaska winter temperatures--takes about 2 years, they say--but ice can break knee caps and mess up their backs if they slip. I kept horses outside w/a shelter for 14 years and I'll never do it 24/7 in the winter again.
Now for summer, my herd never see their stalls.
     
    01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal    
It depends. If you are staying at the same elevation, same latitude horses with a lot of turnout can adjust to more time outside with a run in shelter. My shelter off of my barn is 16' x 19', with my newly built ~30" wide manger on the north side (opening in SE side.)

ALSO, depends upon how many horses share the shelter. TODAY, it's sloppy and likely that my mare will get kicked out of the shelter by gelding#1 and gelding#2, so she's inside all day. This is a consideration bc you don't want your horse to be the one without shelter in a storm.
ICE is the next consideration. Horses can adapt to Alaska winter temperatures--takes about 2 years, they say--but ice can break knee caps and mess up their backs if they slip. I kept horses outside w/a shelter for 14 years and I'll never do it 24/7 in the winter again.
Now for summer, my herd never see their stalls.
I thank your for your input as well! As far as I know, there will only be two horses (including him) in this paddock. About the same elevation, I'm only moving him 12 miles down the road.
     
    01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
  #6
Weanling
I live in upstate NY, so it never really gets awful here. Winters are normally between 0-20 degrees (with the exception of this winter of course). We also have never had more than 3 horses sharing one shelter so we have never had a problem with horses not sharing the space.
     
    01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperduck    
I live in upstate NY, so it never really gets awful here. Winters are normally between 0-20 degrees (with the exception of this winter of course). We also have never had more than 3 horses sharing one shelter so we have never had a problem with horses not sharing the space.
Ok, I'm in Northern VA, so I'd imagine our winters pale in comparison to yours (with the exception of this year, too).
     
    01-27-2012, 11:41 PM
  #8
Trained
My horse is out 24/7. Even in that horrible winter we had last year in the Northeast, he was fine. As long as their is a dry shelter to go to, don't worry about him.
     
    01-30-2012, 09:03 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck    
My horse is out 24/7. Even in that horrible winter we had last year in the Northeast, he was fine. As long as their is a dry shelter to go to, don't worry about him.
Ok, thanks...that makes me feel better.

Also, do you know what's the coldest it can be outside without having to blanket them? I don't clip my horse, but he also doesn't grow a really thick natural coat - it doesn't grow that long or thick. I only have a heavy weight for him right now, but I'll usually rug him up if it's under 30.


By the way, the move went well, and I think he enjoys his new pasture buddy. I also walked out and checked out the run-in, and it's big and dry. :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stall rest and turnout advice bittybocket Horse Health 5 01-14-2012 11:37 PM
Turnout advice DraftyAiresMum Horse Training 17 08-12-2011 07:29 AM
Wet stalls Woodsy Horse Grooming 15 01-22-2011 11:19 AM
Turnout in Bad Weather (long...) luvmyperch Horse Health 38 10-18-2009 06:05 AM
horse stalls made by Triple B Stalls kickshaw Barn Maintenance 0 05-14-2008 01:59 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0