Boarding with a disrespectful horse - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemms View Post
I own a boarding barn and I encourage anyone to walk in the pasture with a stick if ever they don't feel safe.
I disagree.

So what about the horses that folks have misused whips and sticks? Is it ok to terrorize them by carrying a stick with you into general population? Or to put the others horses/humans at risk because a horse starts running from the whip/stick?

ONE horse needs to have manners trained into it. Not fair to penalize the rest of the herd. (and their owners)
mls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,078
• Horses: 2
Personally, I would not be moving to this barn.....the drama has started and you are not even there yet.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
I disagree.

So what about the horses that folks have misused whips and sticks? Is it ok to terrorize them by carrying a stick with you into general population? Or to put the others horses/humans at risk because a horse starts running from the whip/stick?

ONE horse needs to have manners trained into it. Not fair to penalize the rest of the herd. (and their owners)

From the picture you're painting, I'm visualising a tiny pen packed with horses and someone whirling a whip about, willy-nilly. Of course, this would be dangerous and unfair.

I'm talking about wagging your crop like a big naughty finger (being prepared to pop it on someone who presents real danger) or twirling the end of your lead rope like a fan. Try chasing a 'terrorised horse' in a 10 acre pasture. You'll tire out LONG before that horse becomes afraid of you.

Our pasture has an acre per horse. That's plenty of room for everyone to stay clear of anything they don't like. An animal that has been abused by any equipment entering its environment is most likely to avoid it at the first opportunity. It's the horses that approach you and/or your horse without respect that we're concerned about. If an owner has a horse at the bottom of the pecking order, they should still be able to walk through the entire herd without them or their horse being targeted. That is something you need to expect and demand, for your own safety when leading a horse. The horse you're leading needs to defer to your leadership at all times while in-hand. How unfair is it to remove it's defenses and then refuse to protect it? If that animal cannot trust you then, how does it know it can trust you any other time?

I used to work in a tight corral with over 20 cranky trail horses. We had to stand up for ourselves and every horse there knew that when people entered that space, all bickering stopped. When that structure was not maintained, people got hurt.

I would never keep my horse in tight quarters as a way of life. Camping, yes we use small corrals, but we group horses according to relationships and we're WORKING all day so that they are tired when they go into the pens. A horse's mental health is impacted HUGELY by its environement. How well would you do inside 4 tiny 'walls'? Horses kept like this are made dangerous by a lack of outlet and stimulation. You can't hop a kid up on sugar and expect him to listen, any more than you can cage a dog all day and expect him to be mellow when you let him out.

Jmo.
hemms is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
yeh I can see being forced to carry a stick and other forms of defensive weaponry just to get my horse out of a group field is so much better than separate paddocks. You don't have private fields in your area because people don't ask for them. Horses still get socialization with other horses they are just on the other side of a fence. It is not hard, it is not expensive, people just have to open their minds a bit.
Joe4d is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,315
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
yeh I can see being forced to carry a stick and other forms of defensive weaponry just to get my horse out of a group field is so much better than separate paddocks. You don't have private fields in your area because people don't ask for them. Horses still get socialization with other horses they are just on the other side of a fence. It is not hard, it is not expensive, people just have to open their minds a bit.
You must board in a VERY nice barn or have a LOT of money to spare or have your own place. I'm in MD and the VAST MAJORITY of barns around me don't have the space for individual turnout - either they don't have the acreage or they don't have the fencing in place (which would in turn reduce the size of an existing pasture). The few that I've seen that even have it as an option have a monthly board fee of $700 and up.

It's not punishing the whole herd when ONE horse is rude and pushy and acts the pest. If the rest of the herd is behaving, then no one bothers them either.

To the OP:
How the horse acts with its owner doesn't really reflect how it will act with your horse. You can most certainly teach said horse to respect YOUR space (though you definitely should not have to). Personally, I wouldn't board my horse with a draft because my horse is little and a draft could really beat the heck out of him much more than an average horse could.
DancingArabian is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
its not expensive, and it isnt anything to do with nice, just people willing to do things a bit different. Seems the big BO;s here are terribly afraid of change and keep hiding behind this "super expensive". Smokescreen to keep their boarders from seeing the light and refusing to put up with the drama and problems caused by mixed owner pastures.
Joe4d is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
its not expensive, and it isnt anything to do with nice, just people willing to do things a bit different. Seems the big BO;s here are terribly afraid of change and keep hiding behind this "super expensive". Smokescreen to keep their boarders from seeing the light and refusing to put up with the drama and problems caused by mixed owner pastures.
Sorry Joe, that is just too wrong to even comment on.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,407
• Horses: 1
TriO any updates?

Also mixed pens are fine. All the horses know I am boss when I go out there, no lunge whip or crop needed. I do fine with a halter and leadrope if they threaten me.

My horse used to be in a different pen (same barn) and there were two horses that I personally cannot stand. Their owner rides them recklessly and they are hot as heck on the ground too. Well once those horses ran over someone at the barn because they didn't establish they were herd leader.. they let their guard down. And they got hurt because of it.

Now when I was in there, they tried any funny business and I'd make them regret that considerably. They weren't scared of me, I'm a little thing. But they respected me.

This draft sounds like he has no respect for his owner, and thus no respect for you. I believe if you show him your boundaries and enforce them, he will respect you and not be any trouble. But be careful!!!

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,078
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
You must board in a VERY nice barn or have a LOT of money to spare or have your own place. I'm in MD and the VAST MAJORITY of barns around me don't have the space for individual turnout - either they don't have the acreage or they don't have the fencing in place (which would in turn reduce the size of an existing pasture). The few that I've seen that even have it as an option have a monthly board fee of $700 and up.

It's not punishing the whole herd when ONE horse is rude and pushy and acts the pest. If the rest of the herd is behaving, then no one bothers them either.

To the OP:
How the horse acts with its owner doesn't really reflect how it will act with your horse. You can most certainly teach said horse to respect YOUR space (though you definitely should not have to). Personally, I wouldn't board my horse with a draft because my horse is little and a draft could really beat the heck out of him much more than an average horse could.

You have obviously not met many. That is a ridiculous statement. Sort of like me saying I hate all Arabians because they act like idiots and don't have 2 grey cells to rub together. Gross generalization, right?

A disrespecful horse has nothing to do with the SIZE of it.
Skyseternalangel likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Our largest horse is a 16hh (and growing) shire. He's near the bottom of the hierarchy with the other foolish boys and his best buddy is our 10hh gotland pony.

If anyone spends 5 minutes with me they know that I am the blatant opposite of smoke screens. Large BO? Our herd, including our own 3 horses, is at a whopping 10 (our limit, btw). We offer a pressure-free atmosphere in which we keep horses as naturally as we can provide. This does not mean we ignore them. To the contrary, we take fecals before deworming, we have a chiro on call, our farrier comes every 6 weeks without fail and we're even participating in a titre study to establish the safest vaccination protocols. We're proud of the tidy little barn we operate and are happy to share it with anyone who appreciates the same equine lifestyle we do.

Anyone who has the body language can enter our herd without a stick or even a rope. It is simply about owning your space and demanding respect. For those with less experience, or for those days when the herd is feeling randy, I simply want to provide options for personal safety.

One of my proudest parts of our tour to potential new boarders is introducing them to our herd. Everyone is friendly and content. It is because they feel secure in their place with us. Every horse is approachable and sweet. Don't own your space and they just may mob you to beat each other in the race for your affection. Close quarters, bickering horses, lack of respect for a person... all equal an accident lurking in the shadows.

Around here, $700/mo doesn't get you individual turnout - lol!

Last edited by hemms; 05-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.
hemms is offline  
Reply

Tags
boarding , dominance issues , new horse

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disrespectful horse when lunging Conrad And Freddie Horse Training 9 03-21-2012 10:23 PM
Disrespectful horse in stall Cmurdock57 Horse Training 14 03-05-2012 04:22 PM
New Horse pushy and disrespectful on the ground MyBoySi Horse Training 3 12-07-2011 10:47 PM
disrespectful, fearful, head shy horse, need training ideas Rachel1786 Horse Training 7 03-12-2011 10:02 PM
Rude and disrespectful horse. Any suggestions? TG Horse Training 21 09-27-2008 02:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome