Crazy barn owner - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Crazy barn owner

This is a discussion on Crazy barn owner within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree20Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-07-2014, 10:52 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    The first three words said it all for me... You board for FREE. What do you expect from a free place? You know the saying "beggars can't be choosers?" I don't think any thing he is doing is outlandish. It's been working for him for a very long time. IMO if you don't like it you can always find a new place to board.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I don't mind it just thought it was strange.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-07-2014, 11:03 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SullysRider    
    I don't see anything that screams crazy. I wouldn't want him feeding my horse corn, but if he's not feeding it to my horse I couldn't care less since they're his horse(s). Though you shouldn't feed corn to horses. As long as he isn't harsh or overcorrecting about the lip thing I don't see anything wrong with it. As far as the water thing, are you in a dry climate? If so then it probably helps. For horses with bad though or a wet climate, not so much. Everything else is fine. The "patience tree" as it's called is actually a good teaching tool.

    I noticed you've posted before about these things and got told they weren't big deals, perhaps you're posting again to hear otherwise?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevenson    
    is this the second post on this ? I believe these issues were brought up prior,
    Nope I don't believe so just on the cracked corn in an old thread..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    stevenson likes this.
         
        03-07-2014, 11:06 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimberlyrae1993    
    Nope I don't believe so just on the cracked corn in an old thread..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I do recall seeing some of the other things mentioned, was just wondering anyway no big deal
    equinesnfelines likes this.
         
        03-07-2014, 11:11 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    1 and 2 are fine in small amounts. 3 I think is a good idea for an impatient/herd bound horse. 5 is VERY situational and not usually good. 4 is BAD (ow!!) and 5 is wrong but w/e.

    Just tell him this is the way you'd like things done with your horse and smile and nod at what he does with his. Doesn't sound like he's going to change. If he's doing something dangerous (like 4) then maybe try to advise but don't think he's going to listen.
         
        03-08-2014, 11:47 AM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yogiwick    
    1 and 2 are fine in small amounts. 3 I think is a good idea for an impatient/herd bound horse. 5 is VERY situational and not usually good. 4 is BAD (ow!!) and 5 is wrong but w/e.

    Just tell him this is the way you'd like things done with your horse and smile and nod at what he does with his. Doesn't sound like he's going to change. If he's doing something dangerous (like 4) then maybe try to advise but don't think he's going to listen.
    It's just some things I have never seen or heard I didn't think tying a horse to a tree would be a good idea but he did it to Amy the other day cause she was*freaking out and it seemed to help but she banged her self up pretty good. The water in stall he says he does that for there feet to get moisture doesn't keep them soaked just dampens them once a day
    The bleach has me freaked out.. I can't stop the bleach in through that's his say so but bleach on there skins???? That sounds painful don't it

    This was more of a rant I know I swear he does something new and weird every day lol but he's an awesome guy and CAN'T BEAT FREE!!!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-08-2014, 11:51 AM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SullysRider    
    I do recall seeing some of the other things mentioned, was just wondering anyway no big deal
    Nope.. I wouldn't have posted it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-08-2014, 12:24 PM
      #17
    Foal
    "It's just some things I have never seen or heard"

    A little long in the tooth here but I KNOW there are many things left to learn that I will not get to learn before its too late!!! I probably have forgot more than I care to admit but I value much of the old-timers' "advice" as there really is alot of stuff done back in the day that has come to be studied and found to be worthy....

    Free board??? Sounds good to me as long as I stay in control of my horse's care.

    Many times just keeping my ears open and my mouth shut has been the lesson of the day!!!
         
        03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
      #18
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimberlyrae1993    
    I board free with an older gentleman who has had horses is whole life well he's stuck in his ways of horsemanship...
    So things he does...
    1. Puts a cap of bleach in trough
    2. Puts cracked corn in his feed
    3. When his gelding is being impatient he ties him to a tree till he learns to be calm..(did this to Amy the other day too)
    4. Puts bleach on horses with rain rot...
    5. This doesn't sound too bad actually, now that you've changed SOAKS to SPRINKLES
    6. Gets very angry with Amy when she lifts her lip up (sniffing) cause he swears she's sucking air (she is a cribber but that's not what she's doing)..

    He is a super nice man I have known him since I was a kid and don't want to move Amy just need advice
    Posted via Mobile Device
    #1 not a problem, controls algae growth
    #2 not the best nutrition but if he's not over doing it, I wouldn't worry about it
    #3 a Patience Pole or tree is a good training tool, again not a problem
    #4 bleach and water is a very cheap and effective way to clear it up, I prefer other methods
    #5 this isn't so bad, now that you've changed SOAKS to DAMPENS
    #6 you're probably never going to convince him she's not cribbing but you can try.

    Based on these things and free board? I wouldn't be moving any time soon.
    Yogiwick and equinesnfelines like this.
         
        03-08-2014, 04:32 PM
      #19
    Showing
    An 80+ year old man who'd used horses in the bush hauling logs told me their remedy for founder. They'd apply iodine just above the coronet band. Iodine is quite an irritant for horses. The they'd apply Vaseline to supposedly neutralize the iodine. They believed it drew the excess blood from the hoof and the method seemed to work. Years later we are told that iodine is an irritant but that the petroleum jelly doesn't soothe the skin and the iodine continues to irritate. This is like a rock and a hard place. Either the horse's skin is painful or the bottom or he's sore to walk.
         
        03-08-2014, 06:08 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    #1 not a problem, controls algae growth
    #2 not the best nutrition but if he's not over doing it, I wouldn't worry about it
    #3 a Patience Pole or tree is a good training tool, again not a problem
    #4 bleach and water is a very cheap and effective way to clear it up, I prefer other methods
    #5 this isn't so bad, now that you've changed SOAKS to DAMPENS
    #6 you're probably never going to convince him she's not cribbing but you can try.

    Based on these things and free board? I wouldn't be moving any time soon.
    Oh no I don't plan to move can't beat free he's a nice man I worked for him forever ago and he knows my whole family I look forward to more weird interesting things he has done with horses
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yogiwick likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Barn Rant -- Crazy owner xGirugamesh Horse Boarding 23 08-11-2013 09:39 PM
    Appreciate your barn owner cakemom Horse Boarding 21 03-24-2011 07:42 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0