Dramatizing "hay shortage" - Page 6
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Dramatizing "hay shortage"

This is a discussion on Dramatizing "hay shortage" within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree154Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
      #51
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Well..... My BO is not someone you can have a normal conversation with and just bc I come to a forum to post doesn't give ppl like you the right to call me immature or accuse me of griping or yammering .. I thought the rules said " no rudeness "? There is so much rudeness in here ! I'm not unintelligent or too young or out of touch ... My post was not rude. I never said there was no drought. Horse forums are all the same lol

    Wow....your original post was "all we have here is rain. Im sure theres crops everywhere...i think people are being dramatic about it and trying to exploit it"
    We answered in kind with our own experiences. THE COUNTRY IS A BIG PLACE. People get hit differently in the different places of this giant chunk of land. Back home in NM we had 4 pretty decent cuts....in TX at my papas ranch he didnt have a SINGLE cut.

    You didnt ask "is my BO exploiting me? Is my BO being shady?" you asked about the drought.

    You call people out for being rude, and are then catty in return. Nobody imo was being rude until you started being catty about it. They were stating their own experiences and opinions.


    If you want an opinion on the way your BO is treating you then ASK. Give details explain the situation. Don't ask a question about something that doesnt 100% pertain to the situation you are talking about.

    But don't expect to have an OP about the drought and it being "fake" and expect for people to answer with opinions about your BO.....


    No. Your post wasnt rude...but it was short. And it didnt have alot of info or details about the topic you wanted. How can you condemn us for speaking about what we THOUGHT you were talking about, then attack us or OUR posts because we didnt read your mind or get what you were trying to convey.

    Its like beating a dead horse here. We have a saying in the army "COMMUNICATION IS KEY" so communicate. Tell us what you want to talk about. Inform us on the situation you wanted to discuss. None of us our mind readers. Were on in INTERNET forum...were not speaking face to face...we are reading type on a computer screen...easy to misconvey here.
    So take a step back. Look at it like "oh let me give them every detail I need to pertain to this so they understand where I am coming from"
    Tianimalz and FaydesMom like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
      #52
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
    As gently and politely as possible, you may want to consider the common factor that makes this so
    Well you're right.., there are lots of rude know -it -all bullys in forums...in fact, in the horse world period . On the other hand I have met some really nice good hearted horse people
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
      #53
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvmyBlackBeauty    
    Well you're right.., there are lots of rude know -it -all bullys in forums...in fact, in the horse world period . On the other hand I have met some really nice good hearted horse people
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well, I can't tell if you are deliberately being obtuse, or if GH's comment really flew right over your head.
         
        09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
      #54
    Started
    In my area, we haven't had a terrible year, but I also live in an area where the short growing season means 2 cuttings are all that's really possible. In really good years, some farmers might get 3 but only if they time everything exactly right.

    Regardless, I'll only buy first crop for horses cause the second crop is so late in the season it can lead to laminitis issues.

    Even though we aren't as bad off as other areas, I am not close minded enough to think the conditions here are the conditions everywhere.

    Oh, I almost forgot to end my post with LOL.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-12-2012, 07:23 PM
      #55
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roperchick    
    wow....your original post was "all we have here is rain. Im sure theres crops everywhere...i think people are being dramatic about it and trying to exploit it"
    We answered in kind with our own experiences. THE COUNTRY IS A BIG PLACE. People get hit differently in the different places of this giant chunk of land. Back home in NM we had 4 pretty decent cuts....in TX at my papas ranch he didnt have a SINGLE cut.

    You didnt ask "is my BO exploiting me? Is my BO being shady?" you asked about the drought.

    You call people out for being rude, and are then catty in return. Nobody imo was being rude until you started being catty about it. They were stating their own experiences and opinions.


    If you want an opinion on the way your BO is treating you then ASK. Give details explain the situation. Don't ask a question about something that doesnt 100% pertain to the situation you are talking about.

    But don't expect to have an OP about the drought and it being "fake" and expect for people to answer with opinions about your BO.....


    No. Your post wasnt rude...but it was short. And it didnt have alot of info or details about the topic you wanted. How can you condemn us for speaking about what we THOUGHT you were talking about, then attack us or OUR posts because we didnt read your mind or get what you were trying to convey.

    Its like beating a dead horse here. We have a saying in the army "COMMUNICATION IS KEY" so communicate. Tell us what you want to talk about. Inform us on the situation you wanted to discuss. None of us our mind readers. Were on in INTERNET forum...were not speaking face to face...we are reading type on a computer screen...easy to misconvey here.
    So take a step back. Look at it like "oh let me give them every detail I need to pertain to this so they understand where I am coming from"
    At least you acknowledged my post was not rude.
    As for the rest, even if I did not provide enough info, which I think I did btw, that is still not an excuse for " you " or "us" or "we" as you call yourself and members ( mob mentality) in here to jump to conclusions and condemn me. Period.
    That's all I'm going to say about the subject
    I'm obviously in the wrong place
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
      #56
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvmyBlackBeauty    
    I'm obviously in the wrong place
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yup, you don't have to feed, ride, or board a bowling ball
    Silent one likes this.
         
        09-12-2012, 07:55 PM
      #57
    Showing
    We are currently traveling seven hours round trip into PA to bring back our hay. If you can find it in my area, it's $10-12 a bale compared to the $3 off-the-wagon price we've paid for years.

    My three hay farmers only got one cutting each this year; the first week of June. Production is down an unbelievable 30%. I've spent hours searching Craigslist, placing ads in Farm and Dairy, calling around to the locals, and driving to farms an hour away to inquire if they have any hay for sale.

    We have had absolutely no rain for months, and it started raining two weeks ago almost nonstop. Does that mean crops are all fine and well now? Absolutely not! It takes more than a few weeks of rain to grow a cutting of hay. Driving through Holmes County to pick up a shelter dog a few weeks ago, we drove between massive fields that were completely yellow with dead soy. It's devastating.

    The BO of the barn my 2 reiners are boarded at bought a truckload of hay cubes before the hay prices skyrocketed because she knew there would be panic when shortage took its toll. You can't even find hay cubes anymore.

    Overdramatizing? Absolutely not. Take it from someone whose horses go through 1000 bales a year: It is a crisis.
    themacpack likes this.
         
        09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
      #58
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvmyBlackBeauty    
    Hi. Anyone else think the "hay shortage" caused by the drought this summer is being exploited and overdramatized by outrageous board increases, No, I rather think the board is increasing because of insane hay prices (which isnt the hay suppliers fault either). greedy BO's, No, the BO's have to increase the board by possibly doubling it to find good feed for your horse. If you think that when you board goes from $400-$600 just because your BO is being "greedy," and your horse is still being provided fairly decent hay, go to some other stable where its only raised $50 and look at the weeds the horses eat. etc?

    We have had nothing but rain here the past few weeks I don't grow hay, but I can tell you that, if the grass out in the hay field died, after a few weeks of rain the grass wont be revived .. and I am sure there are bumper crops everywhere...! No, there isn't. Where there was excess before, they are getting short on hay supply because they are shipping it down to where there is no hay. Maybe somewhere in Europe they have lots of hay but who wants to pay the prices to ship hay from Europe to the US??
    Think about it
         
        09-12-2012, 08:08 PM
      #59
    Green Broke
    Wow. I am so done....i tried to explain it away. Tried to stay on the line not either side....
    YOU are the one grouping "US" as mob mentality....


    Wait. Why am I trying to explain myself or anybody else... it obviously doesnt matter because the words get twisted and made tob e something rude....
    I quit


    Have a good life
         
        09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
      #60
    Green Broke
    0_0.. hay is 400$ a ton here.. we bought 18 bales.. for 4 grand.. rained all day here.. exciting.. never been more happy to get rain..literally.. danced in the rain:) and small bales are around 15$...
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Definitions of "Green" "Started" "Broke" etc... Horse Hippie Horse Training 12 08-31-2009 04:00 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0