Originally Posted by sillyhorses
Good idea Nickleodeon...
So - instead of "For those interested, we may be willing to offer an exchange of board services for work?" should I say something more along the lines of:
"Please do not hesitate to ask us any questions. We encourage you to discuss potential options with us before deciding to move if you simply cannot afford board."
I literally worked it out, and the profit for us is $0.17 per hour, and that is just feeding/turning out/cleaning stalls... not including watering our arena, maintaining the property :/
I wouldn't say anything. If someone says they have to move, they'll generally say that they're going somewhere cheaper or you can ask them if the raise will be a hardship. That way it doesn't get out that you are 'negotiating' board. After doing this for years, I don't give discounts anymore, unless it's for multiple horses, it always seemed to be the ones who aren't paying full freight that turned out to be the problem children. I charge what I charge and I used to have a waiting list. Right now with the drought, as boarders sold off their horses I stopped taking in new boarders. With hay and feed the price they are right now, I couldn't break even if I had a TEAM of accountants. Hay is also so short that I didn't want the responsibility of having contracted to feed other people's horses.
Once the drought breaks and things go back to normal, I may take in a few more boarders again, but I'll actually have to think about that. It's been nice and quiet around here since spring.