Is this a good price?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Is this a good price?

This is a discussion on Is this a good price? within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • What is a good price for horse boarding
  • Good price for horse boarding

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  #1
Foal
Is this a good price?

In the future, I want to own my own horse. The stable I ride at offers full boarding, for 450$ a month. Here's what it includes:
A customized feeding plan, but owner pays for their horses supplements.
A mineral salt block
Stalls cleaned daily
Full day group or solo turnout daily
Automatic watering system
Scheduled deworming with wormer bought by owner
Use of stable farrier and vet, or use your own.
Extra 50 for fly masks and blankets put on for turnout
Extra 10 holding cost for farrier, dental, or vet treatment
35 dollars for an hour of arena rental

Would you consider this a good service for 450 a month?
Stall and pasture, and riding space available.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  #2
Trained
Depends on what other barns around you are offering.

For me, in my area, that pricing would not be a good deal. Mostly because of the extra fees for blanketing/fly mask and arena rental. I can find places around me that include arena use and blanketing along with full turnout and a stall and trails for that price.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  #3
Trained
Everything except the "arena rental" part. If you're boarding there and paying that much, you should be allowed to use the arena whenever you darn well please. JMPO.

Like DA said, check your area to compare prices and amenities.

For example, where I board now, I get pretty much the same thing you are talking about (minus the auto waterers), my BO doesn't charge extra to put on/take off fly masks or blankets, doesn't charge to hold your horse if you can't be there, and I can use the arena whenever I want (during stable hours). I pay $185/month for an outside stall, or $225/month if I wanted an indoor stall with a run. My BO is also willing to let my friend leave one of her horses at the barn when we go for a trail ride (my friend has her horses at home, but her old, dead lame TB gelding is EXTREMELY herd-bound).
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
  #4
Weanling
Even with arena rental, that would be considered reasonable in new England- but we have expensive boarding. I only know of one farm less than $500, and they do not have an arena rental fee, but they are incredibly cheap for the area.
     
    07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
  #5
Weanling
Around here board is only like 150-300$ for a really nice place that includes turnout, blanketing and anytime turnout. So around here that'd be really expensive.
     
    07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Definitely depends on the area, $450 for the services you describe would be on the higher end of normal in my area, but the arena rental thing seems strange. Do you really have to pay every time you want to ride in the arena? For that price, do you get the whole arena to yourself? What if you want to ride when someone else is "renting" the arena? I'd be really angry if I were paying $35/hour to ride in an arena and it ended up being too crowded to do whatever exercises I had planned for the day.
     
    07-02-2013, 03:15 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganarab94    
Around here board is only like 150-300$ for a really nice place that includes turnout, blanketing and anytime turnout. So around here that'd be really expensive.
I just realized I made a typo. The last part is supposed to say "anytime arena" not "anytime turnout." Sorry!
     
    07-02-2013, 03:28 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCheval    
In the future, I want to own my own horse. The stable I ride at offers full boarding, for 450$ a month. Here's what it includes:
A customized feeding plan, but owner pays for their horses supplements.
A mineral salt block
Stalls cleaned daily
Full day group or solo turnout daily
Automatic watering system
Scheduled deworming with wormer bought by owner
Use of stable farrier and vet, or use your own.
Extra 50 for fly masks and blankets put on for turnout
Extra 10 holding cost for farrier, dental, or vet treatment
35 dollars for an hour of arena rental

Would you consider this a good service for 450 a month?
Stall and pasture, and riding space available.
What area of Canada are you in? I've lived in a few different provinces now so I have a good idea of boarding fees across the country
     
    07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer    
What area of Canada are you in? I've lived in a few different provinces now so I have a good idea of boarding fees across the country
I live in Southwestern Ontario, I know that sometimes board can go into the thousands (Like in Toronto)

And I haven't asked my BO about Boarding yet, I just looked on the stable website and this is what I saw. I'm going to ask what she means, but I think that when you "Rent the Arena" Its an hour per day, once a week or something like that in the indoor arena instead of the outdoor one. And It might be entirely to yourself, or with a few other boarders.
     
    07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
  #10
Weanling
That's pretty standard for my area in Virginia.

We pay $185 a month for field board and being fed once a day. No arena, but a groomed race track available whenever and miles of trails.

The only thing I would have a quarrel about was the arena rental. If I'm paying $450 a month to board my horse, I would expect the arena usage to come with the territory at no additional cost. But that's just my viewpoint :)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a good ration balancer at a good price? Cowgirls Boots Horse Health 60 02-23-2013 06:15 PM
Good price? MisssMarie Draft Horses 5 04-28-2012 11:55 PM
Is this a good price? equiniphile Horse Tack and Equipment 3 07-06-2011 10:58 PM
Am I Getting a Good Price? sixlets Horse Tack and Equipment 3 04-19-2011 09:46 PM
is this a good price kryptonitepbr Western Riding 4 08-02-2009 02:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0