Originally Posted by Courtney
That was my feeling too... I was just really hoping the big injuries would stop once the other horses figured out she wasn't going to attempt to take the alpha position away. Live and learn, eh?
I'm checking out this new barn on Saturday and if it looks as good as it sounds, I'm going to move my mare as soon as I can. The barn owner invited me to come by when morning lessons are happening, so I could see the level of activity, meet some other boarders and talk to the instructors. Then she'll give me a grand tour and we'll discuss. If everything works out, I'll move my mare that weekend if the new barn owner is available (she offered to haul my horse). I've paid my board until February 15 at the current place and I don't recall a month's notice clause in the boarding agreement -- do I still have to give notice and pay for the month I won't be there as a courtesy?
It's a personal choice. Personally I'd give him notice as soon as you decide. Explain to him your reason for leaving, leave it on good terms and ask if he wants further payment or if he is happy to leave it . If you do it in a straight talking but friendly manner you have a good chance he'll say no. That's my personal opinion but others may disagree.