04-20-2014, 02:44 PM
| || |
I board in central Iowa while I'm at school, but we have plenty of pasture at home, so I rotate horses back and forth.
I board two horses for around $150 total per month. Board is technically $250/month, with bedding, hay, and grain costing extra. But you have the option of working off $200 of that by working 20 hours/month, so I essentially pay very little for my two horses by working 40 hours/month. This isn't as hard as you think, as I do my own horses chores each morning and night, and do turnout. This barn only has 10 stalls, so it's quite small.
Our board includes:
- Stall (varying sizes)
- Electric buckets in winter/fans in summer
- Pasture or paddock turnout (we have a few areas designated for bad weather, provided the owner lets the horse get its feet muddy)
- Blanket changes/giving medications/unwrapping leg wraps/ supplements/holding for vet or farrier is all free
- Medium-sized indoor arena
- Outdoor arena
- Tack room
- A BO that will literally do anything you ask