How would you approach this? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

How would you approach this?

This is a discussion on How would you approach this? within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Horses abuse stall 24/7

Like Tree62Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
  #21
Weanling
I see...While I also don't agree that how this horse is being handled is "the right way"...he isn't being starved or abused...and they do take him out for walks.

I notice you haven't mentioned any weird stall vises (pacing, weaving, chewing stuff up ect) which may mean the horse may be very well content with his situation. Not all horses are hot heads that need a ton of exersize to stay sane..


He may just be the basset hound equine equivilant..
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
  #22
Started
We're talking horse people here and horse people decisions. Let's be honest - horse people can be, and often are, pretty nutty. That's probably the end of this story. :/
     
    09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
  #23
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersgirl    
I see...While I also don't agree that how this horse is being handled is "the right way"...he isn't being starved or abused...and they do take him out for walks.

I notice you haven't mentioned any weird stall vises (pacing, weaving, chewing stuff up ect) which may mean the horse may be very well content with his situation. Not all horses are hot heads that need a ton of exersize to stay sane..


He may just be the basset hound equine equivilant..
I certainly see where you're coming from, and as I say there are many many many things going on that I cannot divulge. There are vices.........no he's not being starved, he's being fed up like a thanksgiving turkey, a horse that's a little on the lighter side is better than a horse that's grossly overweight....blatant abuse is obviously not the issue here......it's quality of life......its pretty inexpensive to turn your Bassett hound horse out into a safe yard now and then....

You know, it's a mess.........
Back2Horseback and Spotted like this.
     
    09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
  #24
Weanling
Here's a thought, maybe she had a bad experience with another boarding place similar to another forum member and she's taking EVERY precaution to keep it from happening again...at any rate it's her horse, though it would raise my curiosity as well.
     
    09-21-2012, 05:05 PM
  #25
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsitVita    
Here's a thought, maybe she had a bad experience with another boarding place similar to another forum member and she's taking EVERY precaution to keep it from happening again...at any rate it's her horse, though it would raise my curiosity as well.
You're right, and I've run many possibilities through my head before condemning this person to the trash can......however my impression so far is that she wants what she wants and she will get it through intimidation, whining and generally just screwing everyone over (it's a long story!)

Staff have moved on because they refuse to deal with her......she will be politely told to leave soon I am sure.....
     
    09-21-2012, 05:59 PM
  #26
Super Moderator
I think nearly anyone and everyone who has boarded somewhere has seen horses whose care they would find lacking, in one way or another. Since where I ride, the horses live outside 24/7 no matter the weather, ANY kind of all day stalling feels wierd to me. But, to someone else, seeing our horses out in the rain and snow, they must think we have rocks for brains to leave them out there.
My point being, it's not uncommon for us horse people to judge each other's care standards. You might find yourself on the being judged end of that equation at some time. It can happen.

I do agree that it seems like a sad situation for the horse, and unfortunately, there is not much you can do since horses are "owned" by humans and subject to their whims. For your own protection, just tread very lightly becuase these kind of things invariably come back to bite you in the rear. Ask me how I know. (meaning I have made this mistake myself)
     
    09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
  #27
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
put it this way, would anyone with a little bit of sense stall their horse practically 24/7 and over feed the horse whom is already overweight to the point that the horse can't actually eat all the food and it is wasted and thrown out everyday?......it's mind boggling,
Most people on this board advocate free choice hay. Free choice means that there is ample, with some left over so you know the horse is grazing all day. To many people here that is good practice. As the horse is stalled, there is bound to be waste due to manure.


As far as stalling all day, most of the top show horses in the world are stalled all day. Very few see turnout.
     
    09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
  #28
Banned
Hmmm the problem with venting a little or asking questions of a somewhat delicate nature online is that sometimes people misread your posts or misinterpret your posts and take them out of context.

People keep saying things like 'most of the worlds top show horses are stalled 24/7 and never see turn out'......I'm not talking about a top show horse.....this is a good example of poor reading comprehension.

Oh, yes, free choice hay....sure, good......how about free choice hay, sweet feed, mash, barley and chaff on top, twice a day....

Originally I opened this thread in good spirit......

Thanks to you who 'got' my drift.....

Let's just call this one a day......

Just for the record, I'm not stirring the pot at the barn, I don't do that (I was so curious as to what you guys thought I came on here to see - better than gossiping at the barn and creating trouble) as long as that particular boarder doesn't abuse me like she has the others she will be just fine, with her stall bound, overweight, under exercised, beautiful and totally under appreciated horse.
Spotted likes this.
     
    09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
  #29
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    

People keep saying things like 'most of the worlds top show horses are stalled 24/7 and never see turn out'......I'm not talking about a top show horse.....this is a good example of poor reading comprehension.
Actually I both read and comprehended. Maybe it was you who did not... the point was that many horses live in a stall 24/7, in fact the most expensive horses in the world tend to. Obviously this horse is not one of them - however he is in good company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Oh, yes, free choice hay....sure, good......how about free choice hay, sweet feed, mash, barley and chaff on top, twice a day....
And this would be new information. If I knew the unknown, I'd probably have a decent career as a clairvoyant.
     
    09-21-2012, 11:24 PM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
Actually I both read and comprehended. Maybe it was you who did not... the point was that many horses live in a stall 24/7, in fact the most expensive horses in the world tend to. Obviously this horse is not one of them - however he is in good company.



And this would be new information. If I knew the unknown, I'd probably have a decent career as a clairvoyant.
I do recall stating that the horse was being fed up like a Thanksgiving turkey....did I not?
Regardless of all this niggling back and forth, which is just tedious and tiresome, free choice hay works for some horses, not all, and it is not recommended for easy keepers.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not sure how to approach this BO issues Prinella Horse Talk 8 06-22-2012 02:31 AM
9 month old filly will not let me approach her jhines Natural Horsemanship 6 02-06-2012 10:37 PM
how should i approach someone? katieandduke General Off Topic Discussion 15 09-05-2010 03:29 PM
Confused on how to approach this... Icrazyaboutu Horse Talk 4 04-20-2010 07:03 AM
Jump Approach XxXequinegrlXxX Horse Riding Critique 15 04-19-2009 10:03 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0