I suspect someone is riding my horse? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 1070Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 979
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KigerQueen View Post
Id flip my lid if someone was riding my mare without me there. She too much horse for most people. I have a 8 year old ride her on the lung-line but that's it, im in control and its at a walk. I will NOT be liable for some idiot getting hurt on my horse, and ill be going away for man slaughter if my horse ended up hurt.

Go with the koolaid idea. Its not like anyone will see the bottom of your pad. And it might not be on a pad but someones pants (she could be hopping on bareback).
Stitch can be too much horse for people too! Ugh, I didn't think of the liability. Could I legally get in trouble for that? If she was doing it behind my back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 979
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterJumperShow View Post

When you get the proof, I would defiantly approach her parents about it first as well as the BO. Have you locked up your tack locker yet?
No :/ because I only saw her briefly yesterday, and I didn't have he chance to ask her to move her stuff out of it yet, because before all this crap happened I had been sharing it with her until she got her own. (6 months later she still doesn't have her own)
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
post #33 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 979
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
I'm the sort of person that is happy to let others ride my horse - but NEVER without my permission!

You're dealing with it well so far. The Kool-Aid is a good idea - maybe you could take your pad home under the premise of it being cleaned? Though I would think she'd notice the crystals when grooming, so maybe not the best idea.

A camera seems a little extreme to me, but it might be necessary. Hopefully your BO will catch her in the act before any of that is necessary. If your BO can be the one to confront her (I'm sure she doesn't condone riding other peoples horses without permission), it will be a lot easier on you!
Ohh, I didn't think about her noticing crystals when grooming. Bummer, and yes I really hope the BO catches her she would be flaming mad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
post #34 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,721
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
I'm the sort of person that is happy to let others ride my horse - but NEVER without my permission!

You're dealing with it well so far. The Kool-Aid is a good idea - maybe you could take your pad home under the premise of it being cleaned? Though I would think she'd notice the crystals when grooming, so maybe not the best idea.

A camera seems a little extreme to me, but it might be necessary. Hopefully your BO will catch her in the act before any of that is necessary. If your BO can be the one to confront her (I'm sure she doesn't condone riding other peoples horses without permission), it will be a lot easier on you!
My guess would be that if she's jumping on in the pasture that she probably isn't even really grooming the horse :/

Since you say she interacts with her more than normal (going out to her pasture "just to pet her", catching her out of the pasture, etc) I might find a way to stop that as well. Don't want her to be tempted, you know? Tell the boarders (including the girl) about the issue, and that you do not want anyone touching her without your permission. This way you wouldn't have to call her out in particular, but if someone sees her out there with him then they'll know that something isn't right. Maybe it sounds paranoid, but if someone is ballsy enough to ride without your permission then they may just become more sneaky about it.
KigerQueen and AFull99 like this.
DuckDodgers is offline  
post #35 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 10,292
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
No :/ because I only saw her briefly yesterday, and I didn't have he chance to ask her to move her stuff out of it yet, because before all this crap happened I had been sharing it with her until she got her own. (6 months later she still doesn't have her own)
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd set her stuff out of my tack locker and put a lock on it. Tell her that when you agreed to allow her to share that it was for a short length of time until she could get her own locker, for instance a month, and that she has overstayed her welcome.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #36 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 979
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
I'd set her stuff out of my tack locker and put a lock on it. Tell her that when you agreed to allow her to share that it was for a short length of time until she could get her own locker, for instance a month, and that she has overstayed her welcome.
That's a good idea, I should do that. I'm just a non confrontational person, and I don't want to be rude, but she has crossed the line. So I will do that today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
post #37 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 979
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers View Post
Maybe it sounds paranoid, but if someone is ballsy enough to ride without your permission then they may just become more sneaky about it.
Great, that's just what I need. Well, I started spreading the word around the barn that I was suspicious, and I know that she heard me.
So she should be on edge now, I just need to catch her in the act.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
post #38 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,630
• Horses: 3
Stitch is YOUR horse. Period. If I thought someone was riding my horse, I would be more than furious.

No one, except the BO, should even be touching him without your written permission. Period. Make it very clear to the BO that no one is to touch him and that no one (except your farrier) has your permission.

I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but you allowed this girl to share your tack locker and you have allowed her to use your tack. You've "set yourself" up for this in a way, by letting her get away with using your tack.

I wouldn't let anyone share my tack locker, but in your case, the very instant I suspected someone was using my tack locker, I would send them a text message (so you can document) that I need their stuff out of my locker in 48 hours, or their things will just be set out on the concrete and I will padlock my locker. If no reply, I'd send several more text messages to document.

Once you've got your tack locked up, I like the Kool Aid idea. Even funnier if she hops on him bareback in the pasture to be sneaky, and she's goes home with a purple butt.

In your commons area, or on Stitch's stall, I'd post a sign that no one except the BO and your farrier is to handle him (yes, that includes petting) without your written consent.

A lot of this sounds harsh, yes. But this is YOUR horse we are talking about. Some people need to learn what is NOT theirs because they have no sense of it.

I also would not confront her about it until you have some sort of video evidence that she is riding him. Although if you post signs that no one is to even touch him, you can at least call her out on that because you have caught her petting him.

∞*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #39 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 82
• Horses: 1
if someone was riding my horse, I would be furious! The only people allowed to ride him are the trainer, me(obviously), and the BO. And he's not enrolled in training anymore so basically just the BO. And even the BO only rides if i'm around. Also, no one takes him out of his field except for me, the trainer, or the BO. People pet him but thats about it. If I found out someone was riding him without my permission, I'd definitely have a long talk with the BO. If they hurt him in any way, I'd probably press charges. My horse is like my child. And he's my property. So no one rides him without permission. I am a short fuse so I'd probably confront her and scream at her and threaten to take her to court. But thats just me.
Glenknock and KigerQueen like this.
sparkoflife is offline  
post #40 of 361 Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 2
Actually if you use the Kool-Aid idea and she starts grooming or even rubbing your horse, she will get the crystals all over her hand. I am sure, now that you "mentioned" that someone is messing with your horse, she will say" wow, I was petting/grooming your horse and got this stuff all over.. Somebody must have put this on Stitches back. "Guilty"
Tell her you are locking up YOUR locker without her stuff in it because you don't want to chance spreading any germs around on your stuff to other horses.
She sounds like the type who you gave an inch to and she is taking more than a mile. She will continue to take advantage of you, your kindness and your horse until you just flat stop it. Hopefully the message you gave about being suspicious will work, if not I would say that I put up small cameras and saw something I will probably be taking to the BO. Let her get worried and maybe she will stop.
Good luck. I can't imagine how people even get the idea its okay to use another persons horse or tack or equipment without permission. Just amazes me.
wyominggrandma is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I know what I suspect, what would you think? Sunnylucy Horse Boarding 15 08-29-2013 11:28 AM
New horse I suspect worms Qbaby1401 Horse Health 6 11-24-2012 11:21 PM
Buckskin...would you suspect a white gene too? doubleopi Horse Colors and Genetics 19 09-14-2012 08:04 PM
Suspect horse is being ridden? Saddlebag Horse Boarding 23 07-09-2012 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome